6 Ways To Get Noticed Online

October 19, 2008

There’s lots of ways to get noticed online. Some involve time, some involve money. But others are free, quick and easy.

Get Registered

If you haven’t done so already, get noticed by registering your blog on Barbara Swafford’s new blog registry at Blogging Without a Blog. It’s quick, it’s free and you get more than just a bog standard listing – you also get the chance to share a bit of info about you and your blog. Go to this post and follow the instructions to get yourself noticed, on an extremely popular blog.

Get Talking

Another free and easy way to get noticed, is to get interviewed by a blogger. If you don’t know someone who’d happily promote you, do something newsworthy or outrageous, or exaggerate quite a bit. Mick Jagger’s not going to know that you’re not really one of his secret love children. And even if you don’t have overly botoxed lips – the guy reckons he’s slept with more than a thousand women, so it’s going to take him a bloody long time to work it out.

But if you feel a bit uncomfortable exaggerating that much, you could just suck up to a blogger who interviews folk, like Jamie Harrop. Jamie has just brought out a free ebook, on a series of interviews with popular bloggers. He even included me. If sucking up doesn’t work – try bribery.

Piss Off A Whole Bunch Of Folk And Millions Of People Will Notice You

Write stuff that will really annoy a whole tribe of people. Think Perez Hilton. Every day, he gets flamed for making fun of celebs on his blog. But no matter how much folk hate him – he still gets noticed by millions of people each month and he makes shedloads of money.

The hilarious thing is, thousands of schmucks who can’t stand the guy, write about what an asshole he is and that brings him heaps more traffic and money. And if you can’t bear the thought of annoying folk every single day – just write one little thing that will irritate the hell out of thousands of people, as Seth Godin did when he announced that ads are the new online tip jar.

The Best Way To Get Noticed Online

Get a free ad on this amazingly popular blog. You’d have to be a complete eejit not to grab this opportunity before the deadline at midnight on Monday. Check out the offer and get your free ad now.

17 Ways To Stand Out From The Crowd
Being Bold Beats Talent
Be A Business Success Story No Matter What Your Age
Online Networking: Do I Hide From People Like You?
Internet Popularity: Are You Faking It?

Comments

20 Responses to “6 Ways To Get Noticed Online”

1. Barbara Swafford on October 19th, 2008 7:37 am

Hi Catherine – Thank you for including my registry in your post. I’m hoping it will help others to get “discovered” and hopefully get a little bit of traffic.

I saw your interview on Jamie’s blog. That was superb, and like you said, another great way to get noticed.

Barbara Swafford’s last blog post..Blog Registry – Open Mic

2. cathlawson on October 19th, 2008 5:29 pm

Hi Barbara – you’re welcome – the registry is a great idea. I had no idea that Jamie was going to put the interviews in a mini-book – it’ a nice way of getting noticed.

3. Amy Derby on October 19th, 2008 6:05 pm

Hey Cath. :-) Thanks for pointing me toward a few resources I hadn’t heard about. What Barbara’s doing sounds pretty cool. And now, I have to go think up a way to piss off a bunch of people. Hmm… This shouldn’t be too hard. ;-)

Amy Derby’s last blog post..Review of Liz Strauss’ Ebook: The Secret to Writing a Successful and Outstanding Blog

4. cathlawson on October 19th, 2008 8:13 pm

Hi Amy – Askimet ate you. It must like sheep or something.

Pissing off a bunch of people is dead easy – I do it all the time.

5. Davina on October 19th, 2008 9:01 pm

Hi Cath. Isn’t that sheep avatar adorable? More great leads here in this post – thank you. I tried to download Jamie’s ebook the other day and for some weird reason it wouldn’t. Yesterday I tried again and it was a done deal in 30 seconds. Oh, who knows…

You know what? I think I’m toooo nice sometimes. I know there is another side of me just dying to be seen. Trouble is, if I let it out I’m afraid it might eat me up! ;-) Just you wait though… one day I’ll get a leash for it and take it for a walk.

Davina’s last blog post..25 Words That Connect Us ? Frosty Sunrise

6. Marelisa on October 20th, 2008 1:46 am

All good ways to get noticed Cath. Another way to get noticed is to send me anything funny you find on the internet and I’ll include it on my brand new squidoo lens, “Laughter Arsenal” (http://www.squidoo.com/laughter-arsenal) and give the contributor credit, and a link to your blog or twitter profile :-)

Marelisa’s last blog post..Increase Your Productivity by Learning to Manage Anger

7. cathlawson on October 20th, 2008 7:28 am

Hi Davina – I used to be like that especially when it came to employing people. Then I found out being too nice isn’t good, as people aren’t really getting to know where they’re going wrong.

I read your comment just before I went to bed and I was imagining you as a life coach version of Perez Hilton.

Lets face it, these stars always want publicity. So you could life coach them on condition they allowed you to reveal their deepest fears, inadequacies etc on your blog. That would definitely be different.

Hi Rita – you’re welcome. I wanted to pick out your series posts to show how well you keep people hanging on. But I should have pointed out that folk will need a hell of a lot of practise to do what you do.

Hi Mare. That squidoo lens sounds like a brilliant idea. I’ll definitely be finding stuff for you to add. I love squidoo – it’s so easy to set those lenses up. I wonder how much it cost Seth Godin to put the technology in place for squidoo?

8. Jamie Harrop on October 20th, 2008 8:33 am

Hey Cath,

Thanks for the link love, and thanks for doing the interview. :)

You’ve given a load of great links here. Now I have to find time to look at them properly. :)

Jamie

Jamie Harrop’s last blog post..One Killer Interview With 10 Killer Bloggers – Analysis & Free ebook

9. cathlawson on October 20th, 2008 8:42 am

Hi Jamie – you’re welcome – and thanks for asking me to do the interview. I was only kidding about bribing you.

10. Jamie Harrop on October 20th, 2008 8:51 am

Hey, I’ll take any bribes that come my way. A Macbook Pro would be good. As would a house in Spain. :) :)

11. cathlawson on October 20th, 2008 12:06 pm

LOL Jamie – those Macbooks look cool. But Apples always seem a heap more expensive than other laptops. I have Sony Vaio – it’s pretty good.

12. John Hoff - eVentureBiz on October 20th, 2008 4:15 pm

Hi Cath, great points. Getting noticed online is definitely a must in someway or another.

Another method might be to create a product or service so unique and helpful to people that they couldn’t help but talk about you.

13. cathlawson on October 20th, 2008 5:27 pm

Hi John – that would be a good alternative to being a Perez Hilton type I guess. At least you wouldn’t have to put up with the hate mail.

14. John Hoff - eVentureBiz on October 20th, 2008 5:41 pm

I think Perez gets off on the hate mail and it drives him even more in what he does.

It’s funny. It seems doing things to the extreme gets you noticed. It could be something very good and well received or something really bad and not taken well.

He definitely knows how to piss people off and get noticed as a result.

15. cathlawson on October 20th, 2008 5:58 pm

John – I think he probably does as well. And when it’s a pseudonym folk are attacking – it’s easy not to take it personal.

I used to moderate on a big forum and folk used to argue over the silliest things. A couple of times when I was bored – I made up a fake username and said things that would piss people off. V bad – I know but it was a few years ago and it did amuse me a lot when they attacked the made up person.

It was just so hilarious that they got annoyed over things like other people not liking their favourite hotel and stuff.

16. Davina on October 20th, 2008 11:45 pm

Hi Cath. I’d be like a paparazzi life coach :-) Hmm, I wonder if Johnny Depp or Jack Nicholson need a coach like me? An interesting suggestion…

Davina’s last blog post..25 Words That Connect Us ? Frosty Sunrise

17. Run Your Small Business Like A Rock Star | Catherine Lawson on November 1st, 2008 8:23 am

[...] Reading Being Bold Beats Talent 17 Ways To Stand Out From A Crowd 6 Ways To Get Noticed Online Be A Business Success Story – No Matter What Your Age Become A Super Affiliate [?] Share This [...]

18. How To Start A Business Without Getting Scammed on November 12th, 2008 10:35 am

[...] How To Get Noticed Online How To Start A Business Blog: 8 Week Power Blog Launch How To Build A Better Business By Spying How To Get 150,000 Web Page Views A Month Be A Business Success Story – No Matter What Your Age The Recipe: How To Start An Online Business [?] Share This [...]

19. How Not To Promote Your Business On The Internet on December 7th, 2008 1:45 am

[...] To Start A Business Without Getting Scammed 6 Ways To Get Noticed Online 47 Brilliant Blog Marketing Resources Why Your Business Is Not A Success The Secret Business [...]

20. Ajay on January 2nd, 2010 9:11 am

Hi cath,
    Nice post. It helped me to a greater extent on how to start off with my new tutorials blog which will be having tutorials for all the programming languages, databases and operating systems.

Ajay’s last blog post..Get Ready for PHP 6