Business Publicity – Would You Go As Far As Paris?

February 24, 2009

Business Promotion - Paris HiltonDo you believe that no publicity is bad publicity? I used to think that any stunt was worth a go, so long as you didn’t do a Gerald Ratner.

But after watching those fame seekers on “I’m a Celebrity”, chow down on cockroaches, I realise that I’m a bit of a wimp when it comes to what I’d do to get myself noticed. And the new “Paris Hilton’s British Best Friend” show would probably be beyond me too.

I’m not much of a TV watcher, let alone a reality TV watcher – but I blame my screwed up hormones for turning my attention to this program. And I must admit, the show is a great tool for building “Brand Paris” over here in the UK. It’s a chance for her to let folk see the “real Paris” for a start. As Miss Hilton says, “People think I’m stupid. But I’m smarter than most people.”

Now I know Paris got off to a bad start, because she thought Gordon Ramsay was the British Prime Minister. But I once believed that the President of the United States was a cowboy – it’s an easy mistake to make.

It’s the contestants on the show who I’m worried about. Some of them have high hopes for the outcome of the contest. Model/Blogger, Chrissie said, “Paris is a shrewd, well educated and smart business woman and she could teach me a lot.” But is Chrissie setting herself up for a fall? There’s a lot of competition and if Paris decides she would make a rubbish best friend, she could eliminate her at any time.

In the episode I watched, many of the contestants were reduced to tears, after being voted real, or fake by their housemates. Paris wants a genuine British Best Friend. But I have to wonder how any of these people can be real around someone who refers to them as “her pets”.

What do you think? Would you humiliate yourself on reality TV, to promote yourself or your business, or would you worry that it could backfire? How far would you be willing to go to get a bit of publicity?

17 Ways To Stand Out From The Crowd
Gerald Ratner – From Crap Peddler To Dotcom Millionaire
Internet Popularity – Are You Faking It?
Building A Brand – All You Need Is A Kamikaze Attitude and Bad Hair

Image By: Greeblie.

Comments

22 Responses to “Business Publicity – Would You Go As Far As Paris?”

1. Davina on February 24th, 2009 6:17 pm

Hi Cath. I can imagine how fun this might be — I’ve done role-playing before, but not in front of millions of people. I don’t think it could backfire unless you “let” it — I believe there’s always a way to turn something like that around to your advantage. But this kind of marketing publicity is not my style.

Davina’s last blog post..The Morning Muse — Inspiring Hands

2. Kim Woodbridge on February 24th, 2009 7:33 pm

Not my style either. I have no idea what this show is but I do know that pretending to be a celebrities friend isn’t the way I want my business or my own self to be recognized. I’m so tired of Paris Hilton.

Kim Woodbridge’s last blog post..7 WordPress Photoblog Themes

3. Vered - MomGrind on February 24th, 2009 9:29 pm

Vered – MomGrind’s last blog post..Antibacterial Products Are Dangerous. PLEASE Stop Using Them.

4. Jannie Funster on February 25th, 2009 3:46 am

Me? I would surf many blogs and leave comments, to widen my fanbase from 20 to 30 readers. Talk about self promotion!

Jannie Funster’s last blog post..Trout-fishing hip waders!

5. cathlawson on February 25th, 2009 6:18 am

Hi Davina – I guess this is a bit like role play in front of millions isn’t it?

Hi Kim – I had read about Paris Hilton but never seen her on a TV program before. I gather that a lot of folk in the US are sick of her though – which is probably why she came over here.

Hi Vered – I definitely couldn’t imagine you going on that show.

Hi Jannie – I’m kind of surprised that you wouldn’t go further than that to promote yourself. You write some pretty OTT stuff sometimes.

6. Robin on February 25th, 2009 11:31 am

This show sounds mad!

I was actually thinking of having a TV show where contestants compete to be my friend – or has that been done? Being the shy, retiring flower that I am it’s unlikely I would go on the TV, though.

Robin’s last blog post..The Fountain Of Youth Gets An Update!

7. Ribbon on February 25th, 2009 1:23 pm

Not my idea of a good time.
    What exactly is it that these people are trying to attract into their lives?

best wishes :-)

Ribbon’s last blog post..What is it?

8. Debbie Yost on February 25th, 2009 4:04 pm

The only thing I know about that show is the American version and what I see on The Soup, which is the worst of the worst. I didn’t ever think about it being a means to get noticed. Well, that’s not quite true. I watch Survivor and many of those girls want to be playboy models or actors or singers … whatever. But, for me, that’s “fake” publicity that fades as quickly as it comes. I think like anything in life, you have to work hard for it. Sure, sometimes you get lucky and get “discovered” but at what cost? I’ll keep plugging along and hope to come by my “famedom” with class and respect. In the end, I’d rather be a nobody than to make a complete ass of myself for the world to see.

Debbie Yost’s last blog post..Special Exposure Wednesday – Dress Up

9. Barbara Ling, Virtual Coach on February 25th, 2009 5:01 pm

I agree with Vered – “How far would you be willing to go to get a bit of publicity?” Not very far. It’s not worth it and could definitely backfire.

My idea of bold and daring is staying up past 7pm at night. I have a looong way to go….. :)

Barbara

Barbara Ling, Virtual Coach’s last blog post..2 Tier vs. 1 Tier Affiliate Marketing programs

10. cathlawson on February 25th, 2009 5:06 pm

Hi Robin – It really is a crazy show. While I was ill and watched and read a lot of stuff that I would never usually consider. And I have to say, it’s been interesting. Maybe Paris will have an Australian Best Friend next.

Hi Ribbon – I was wondering that too. They mostly seemed to be wannabee model/actress types.

Hi Debbie – I didn’t realise they’d had an American version too. I guess it would be difficult to get anyone to take you seriously if you got famous through “fake publicity”, no matter what you did.

This is the first Paris Hilton program I’ve seen. And I can’t help but wonder if some of the “dumb blonde” act is put on.

11. Brad Shorr on February 25th, 2009 5:42 pm

Hi Cath, to me this sort of thing is off putting in the extreme. Call me old fashioned, but I’m a big fan of human dignity. I like to see how high people can reach instead of how low they can go. Not for a second would I want to do business with a sensationalist.

Brad Shorr’s last blog post..Exciting New Resource for Chicago Entrepreneurs

12. cathlawson on February 25th, 2009 6:09 pm

Hi Brad – They definitely seem to go really low on these reality shows. I’m glad you wouldn’t want to be one of Paris’s “pets”.

13. Matt on February 26th, 2009 7:16 am

You mean Gordon Ramsey *isn’t* the prime minster of England? :) Serously though, any publicity is good publicity as long as it isn’t bad publicity.

I have no doubt at all that Paris Hilton is one shrewed operator. Maybe she doesn’t play by regular rules but whatever she does, whether it is having private sex tapes “accidentally” distributed on the internet, or starting her own show, it’s all carefully calculated to get just the result — and the $ — that she intends.

Matt’s last blog post..Couple 3 things about OKC

14. cathlawson on February 26th, 2009 10:51 am

Hi Matt – We’d probably be better off if he was. There’d be no more idle politicians, running up ridiculous expense accounts.

I agree that she’s not stupid too – I checked out Paris on Wikipedia. An idiot wouldn’t start their own recording company, if they wanted to make a record.

15. cathlawson on February 26th, 2009 10:53 am

Hi Barbara – I know you are shy. But I’m guessing you’d be bolder than that if you had to.

16. Kathy | Virtual Impax on February 26th, 2009 12:57 pm

Paris Hilton is definitely adept at getting what she wants – the media spotlight. Would anyone watch if she weren’t an heiress? I doubt it. What a train wreck!

By the way – I am ADDICTED to Gordon Ramsey! The F Word is FABULOUS!!! (Thank heavens for Tivo!) I’m actually learning to cook thanks to the BBC in America!!!

As for promoting myself via reality television – NEVER!!!

I would NEVER put my reputation into the hands of a reality television producer – PERIOD!

First, I don’t believe – I KNOW that the real power lies in the hands of the producers. THEY decide what role each “character” is going to play. If they’ve decided to caste you as the “idiot from Indiana” then the film will be edited to create the image that you’re the “idiot from Indiana”.

If the producers decide to cast you as the “brilliant business woman from the UK”, then every word that you utter on the show will appear to be pure brilliance.

I can’t imagine being lonely enough or attention starved enough to sign up to “compete” to be Paris Hilton’s friend. The fact that the show “jumped the pond” makes me believe that our civilization is indeed ready to collapse!

Kathy | Virtual Impax’s last blog post..Authenticity and Social Media Transparency

17. Stacey / Create a Balance on February 26th, 2009 3:17 pm

I would like to be on a reality TV show such as Survivor for the adventure/experience – not to promote my blog or business. I’m intrigued by the social game of reality TV but you would never see me apply to be best friends with Paris.

Stacey / Create a Balance’s last blog post..What Are Your Intentions?

18. cathlawson on February 26th, 2009 5:20 pm

Hi Kathy – it’s brilliant isn’t it? I have a few Gordon Ramsey cookbooks and they’re excellent. It looks like you are importing our good shows and we are getting all the stuff that you don’t want.

I figured that some of these shows must be a set-up. It would be so damaging to be made to look like some sort of idiot on TV though.

Hi Stacey – Wow – you would eat cockroaches and stuff just for the experience? If I had to choose between cockroaches and Paris, I’d have to choose Paris. Mind you – I haven’t seen Survivor. I’m only guessing that it’s something like the jungle one.

19. wilhb81 on February 27th, 2009 5:58 am

“Gordon Ramsay was the British Prime Minister”?! To be honest, Cath, I was flabbergasted when I heard this words out from Paris’s mouth!

Maybe Paris is better keep her mouth zip, if she don’t want to be labeled as the “Id**t” celebrity…

wilhb81′s last blog post..These Collectable Items Can Make You Fortune!

20. Barbara Swafford on February 27th, 2009 7:31 am

Hi Catherine – Trying to get publicity is not my gig. I’ve watched a few reality shows and am amazed at what people will do to get attention. I just shake my head. But, some do succeed, so I give them credit for putting themselves out there.

Barbara Swafford’s last blog post..Like Bees on Honey – Learn to Attract Comments to Your Blog

21. cathlawson on March 1st, 2009 3:58 pm

Hi Wilhb – I’ve got to wonder if she made that up. Her PR people said it was an easy mistake to make, as she’d eaten in Gordon Ramsey a few days before.

Hi Barbara – I could do some things – but reality TV wouldn’t be one of them. I agree though, some of them who do become successful after being on there, deserve it. I just don’t like seeing so many people make a tit of themselves in the process.

22. Cara on October 22nd, 2009 4:13 pm

Thanks for your great article. There is so much junk on the internet it is hard to find good quality information when you really need it. I just came across your site and have bookmarked it. Look forward to reading more in the future keep us posted.

Cara’s last blog post..Weight Loss After Menopause Secrets