Life Problems – Is It All Your Own Fault?

February 27, 2009

If the roof of your house came crashing down upon you tomorrow, would you blame yourself? Do you believe that all your life problems were created by your own doing?

What if a huge disaster happened in your town and half the folk who lived there were killed? Would it seem reasonable to suppose that they had brought it on themselves, through their own thoughts and actions?

I’ve wondered about this quite a bit since reading the work of Esther and Jerry Hicks. For those of you who haven’t heard of Esther and Jerry Hicks – they’re a married couple who claim that Esther communicates with a higher power called “Abraham”. Much of what Abraham tells them relates to the “Law of Attraction” and how our own thoughts create both good and bad things, in our lives.

Now, the cynic inside me might wonder if Esther had imagined her conversations with Abraham, or worse still, made them up, in order to profit from the books. But I decided to approach the first book I read – Ask and It Is Given, with an open mind, as I do believe in some of the principles of the Law of Attraction. And Think and Grow Rich, by Napolean Hill, has had a huge impact on my life.

Anyway, I liked “Ask & It Is Given” enough to read another Abraham Hicks book. But the second book didn’t seem quite so great. Much of it appeared to be a repetition of the first book.

Then I got to the part that caused me stop reading it altogether: Esther Hicks claimed that the victims of the Holocaust had brought their horrific deaths upon themselves. She admitted that they had no control over the actions of those who harmed them. But she said that if they’d practised the Law Of Attraction, they would have been able to move themselves out of harms way.

Well, I was really upset by Esther’s suggestion. The advice she’s been given by Abraham has obviously helped her a whole heap. She’s brought out numerous books, courses etc on the “teachings of Abraham” and I doubt whether she’s gone through anything as traumatic as the holocaust victims suffered. So who on earth is she to judge people who didn’t have access to the same information that she did?

I haven’t yet finished reading that book, but I have thought alot about Esther’s claim. Is she really judging others, or is she trying to warn us? Could we really attract disaster on a massive scale and if so, can it be avoided if we practise the Law of Attraction?

As individuals, it seems reasonable that if we can accept that we are capable of attracting anything we desire, we’re also capable of attracting a whole heap of crap, whether we mean to or not right?

I can certainly identify points in my life, where I’ve had a gut feeling I was going in the wrong direction. And when I’ve ignored that feeling, a whole heap of shit has happened. Last year I described how I was warned about something terrible that would happen to me, if I took the wrong path. And that prediction came true: Success: Are You On The Wrong Path?

But the idea that thousands of people could attract a massive disaster seems too huge and complex to comprehend.

What do you think? Do you believe that you attract everything that happens in your life – whether good or bad? Do you believe that thousands of people could collectively do the same?

I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions in the comments section.

Comments

39 Responses to “Life Problems – Is It All Your Own Fault?”

1. Barbara Ling, Virtual Coach on February 27th, 2009 4:18 pm

Please please please do NOT follow the Law of Attraction blindly. PLEASE!

Of course you do not attract (in general) horrible things to your life. What a lousy way to blame the victims!

Oh, sure, there are idiots out there who go out of their way to place themselves in stupid danger (ie, folks wearing their gold jewelry in a drug-ridden area) and yep, in that case, they sure did attract any negatives that happened to them. If you tattoo a flaming sign to your forehead that says, YES PLEASE TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ME BECAUSE I’M DUMBER THAN A STEGOSAURUS….you’re doing one heck of a bunch of attracting indeed.

That being said….

You CREATE your own success/failures…they don’t flock to you in a passive fashion.

My gosh, you look at the majority of writers for The Secret – several of them are well-known marketers who excel at writing what everyone wants to read (getting something for nothing, for example). Hogwash!!

I apologize for my strident tone – The Law of Attraction is one of my hot-buttons for several of the above reasons and more.

I know, your next question is, but Barbara…how do you *really* feel? :)

Barbara

Barbara Ling, Virtual Coach’s last blog post..Painfully simple affiliate marketing tip from a Ninja Rubber Ducky

2. Betsy Wuebker on February 27th, 2009 4:20 pm

Hi Cath – Thought-provoking. I went back and read your post about the reader. It reminded me of a reading I got years ago where it was predicted I’d have five children. Newly-divorced with two kids, I laughed. Fast forward to now, and here comes Pete with his three, and presto! It comes true!

I think it’s irresponsible to claim that millions of people collectively bring on their suffering and annihilation – not only during the Holocaust, but wherever – Rwanda, Darfur, Cambodia, Russia, Nanking. This seems to be such a perversion of the Law of Attraction that it should be dismissed. I do believe, singularly, that we attract what we think we deserve in our relationships, but it’s impossible to make the jump to millions being slaughtered.

The only aspect to the claim as you described it that might be relevant is that we should constantly be aware of what may affect our lives and be ready to confront or sidestep, as the case may warrant. I think the tragedy of the Holocaust and other horrific events is that through sheer numbers if more had been willing to rise up and confront with righteous anger, or perhaps not been as trusting of their governments and events, the outcome might have changed. But that is a very simplistic view of a very systematic and complex evil, I admit.

Betsy Wuebker’s last blog post..MORE PHOTOGRAPHY GIGS LIKE THIS ANYTIME

3. Vered - MomGrind on February 27th, 2009 4:32 pm

The Law of Attraction is dangerous bullshit.

Vered – MomGrind’s last blog post..Pita Bread Recipe: Homemade, Soft and Fabulous

4. T Edwards on February 27th, 2009 6:53 pm

I also read the Hicks’ “The Law of Attraction” and I will say that they lost me when Esther began having lengthy, detailed, full blown conversations with a “being”. I wouldn’t have had a problem if she had a revealing dream; I would have understood if she said that God spoke to her…but she and her husband are both full of shit.

I think the basic premise behind the REAL law of attraction (not that book) are the importance of a positive mental attitude, HARD WORK and PERSEVERANCE.

I’m sorry, but I’m not a student of the “riches falling from the sky if you just concentrate” academy.

T

T Edwards’s last blog post..Sex And The Virginity Business

5. Brad Shorr on February 27th, 2009 7:04 pm

Hi Cath, Interesting post and conversation. I find it impossible to be an extremist on this issue. What happens is a combination of what we do and external forces. How these forces interact vary at any given time. To suggest the Jews were responsible for the Holocaust is repugnant to me. If anyone doubts how powerful a force external forces can exert on our will, read “The Nazi Doctors”. But how about looking a little closer to home? Here in the U.S., we are facing an out and out crisis in banking, caused mainly by a massive number of ill conceived home mortgage loans. Who’s fault? Any sensible person would say it’s a combination – homeowners, banks, and the government all had a hand in it. Playing the blame game and posturing as a victim are pointless.

Brad Shorr’s last blog post..Product Pages – How to Write a Website, Chapter 3

6. Kanina on February 27th, 2009 8:55 pm

I truly believe in and practice the law of attraction in my life daily. But I’m not spooky..Anyway, lets talk about what the law of attraction really is.

We only have control over our “Thoughts” not the outside circumstances. Example the present worldly recession; whatever they are calling it. The way each of us can control that is by thinking “I’m not going to participate in the recession” continue to think what is true to you. By doing that, you are impressing your thoughts upon your subconscious mind, which is the emotion part of your mind. As you send out thought vibrations good or bad, into the universe you will attract like.

This earth operates by natural laws of the universe. You are putting the natural laws into motion, if you know it or not. So why not, learn exactly how to apply them on purpose? I will show you how. Everything is energy, look at it like this, we all live in a ocean of motion. Your thoughts are vibrations, we all are vibrating on a frequency. As we think, we are sending our energy into the universe.

Raising the awareness of the world. Because I want all to be enlighten. “Peace, Joy & Serenity to all”

Kanina Johnson

7. cathlawson on February 27th, 2009 9:15 pm

Hi Barbara – I know what you mean. I thought the Law of Attraction film was ok, but it was a really dumbed down version of what Napoleon Hill wrote about in Think and Grow Rich. And it misled a lot of people.

And the ridiculously priced briefcase (don’t remember if it was $2 or 3k) that some of those marketers brought out afterwards might have made them a lot of money, but it did little for their reputations.

I heard that the woman who made the film (don’t remember her name) and the Hicks’s disassociated themselves with some of those people after that.

Hi Betsy – I guess that was a whole lot easier than finding out you were pregnant with triplets.

Like you, I find it difficult to understand how folk who mainly tell other people to make money, are qualified to make such claims.

It would have been great if those who suffered in the holocaust had been able to gather in huge numbers and fight the enemy. But as you say, it’s a complex issue and it would have taken a very powerful leader to lead them to overthrow someone has evil as Hitler.

Hi Vered – I guessed you were going to say something like that.

Hi T – Like you, I found it difficult to believe that this being would talk so much with them – mostly about how to make a lot of money.

While I do find Hill’s work interesting – he didn’t simplify it all so much. And hard work was emphasised alot in his book – I don’t recall the Hick’s book mentioning it at all.

Hi Brad – I guess I feel a lot like you do. I haven’t read the Nazi Doctor’s but I’ve read some pretty scary things. A few years ago, I accidentally stumbled on an online “how to” document which described in detail how guerilla’s recruit folk into their army’s and brainwash them.

8. cathlawson on February 27th, 2009 9:25 pm

Hi Kanina – I appreciate your input on this. I guess I feel that the law of attraction involves a whole lot more than concentrating your thoughts but I may be wrong.

You say that folk can avoid the recession by saying to themselves, “they’re not going to participate in the recession”. In doing that – would they not be focusing on the recession anyway?

I thought the Law of Attraction involved focusing on things you wanted, in your life, not focusing on the things you don’t want. That’s what the Hick’s say that Abraham told them. Or did you learn your Law of Attraction stuff someplace else?

Do you believe that people could have avoided the holocaust by saying, “they’re not going to participate in the holocaust.”?

9. Ruth on February 27th, 2009 10:51 pm

I think the law of attraction is a bastardization of a very important and useful life principle, which Victor Frankl came up with when he was in a concentration camp (though he wasn’t the first, but he did a great job of putting it out there in Man’s Search for Meaning).

I think some parts of the law of attraction make sense with that…like if you choose to hang around with certain types of people you’re more likely to be unhappy, etc. But taken to its logical extent the law of attraction, as it’s laid out by most proponents, implies that we’re also responsible for the actions of other people. We’re not responsible if someone rapes us. Blaming the victim is wrong.

So I think it’s not without value but I think there’s a more valuable idea out there without all the baggage and implications.

10. Mark Dykeman on February 28th, 2009 1:35 am

I find the concept of the power of positive thinking to be much more believable than the Law of Attraction. There is no way that I can see that this so-called phenomenon could have moved the Jewish victims of the Holocaust out of harm’s way unless they could have somehow compelled their captors to let them go. That’s just insensitive and delusional thinking designed to try to buttress a theory that could collapse if it was poked too hard.

Similarly, to think that the Jewish people who died in the Holocaust somehow brought their fates upon themselves by the impact of their thoughts is… nutty.

I can believe that the power of positive thinking works by making you more open, likable, and aware of your surroundings so that you see opportunities that you might otherwise miss. But that’s all about psychology, not unseen forces.

Mark Dykeman’s last blog post..Gone commenting

11. Lillie Ammann on February 28th, 2009 1:45 am

While I certainly believe that the way we respond to what happens to us and to the external circumstances makes a huge difference, I don’t think any individual or group of individuals has as much power as the law of attraction seems to indicate.

A positive attitude did not keep me from having a stroke at the hands of a chiropractor, but it did help me recover much more than many people who have strokes as severe as mine.

Ruth expressed it very well—the law of attraction is a terrible distortion of Victor Frankl, Napoleon Hill, Norman Vincent Peale…

Lillie Ammann’s last blog post..By: Search Engine Optimization and Blogs for Backlinks : Email Marketing and Web Marketing Ezine

12. Patricia on February 28th, 2009 1:55 am

This is always an interesting mind game to play, I guess I am more with Ruth that life is about searching for meaning and finding a way to move your thinking and understanding to what works best for you to be your very best person and serve life.

There were thousands of people who also believe that the Jews should be eliminated and were told that repeatedly… and they believed….why the neo Nazis are still among us.

We have a woman in our community who has made millions channeling some entity , I am just so upset that so many people who have no money for the dentist for their children give her so much – well they might as well be spending tons of money at the casinos….

I am working at clearing out some of my negative thinking from my environment and my self talk, because I want to heal and feel great…
    I wish it was not revealing more work and patience as the answer, but that seems to be the case…but I can do it with a positive perspective…
    It is the wonder of living to be able to think about these things and make up our own minds about what we believe or not…those lessons along the way…
    Good post. Thank you…

Patricia’s last blog post..It’s NOT all in your Head

13. Ruth on February 28th, 2009 3:15 am

Thinking about this more, I thought I’d add a great example about the power of a positive attitude. My mom has always been a positive sort of person. Judging by the law of attracting, she’d be the last person to get cancer. When she did, it was a shock.

But she’s done a phenomenal job of handling her cancer. Because she approaches things with a can-do attitude, because she gets herself into drug trials, talks to experts, etc, she hasn’t yet died of this rare, incurable (yet!), terminal cancer. And not only that, she hasn’t made life miserable for those around her. Instead she lives and loves and inspires.

So she will die, as we all will, and she’s accepted that her positive attitude can only keep her going for so long. But it has made her last years a blessing, something that will be an inspiring memory. She lifts us up instead of dragging us down. I think she realized that her last years were far too precious to spend doing anything else and I’m very grateful.

14. Davina on February 28th, 2009 5:18 am

Hi Cath. Up until about 6 months ago, I was all googly-eyed over the Secret. Or, maybe more accurately, I caught the disease from a lot of people who were riding on that train. I don’t think I was really thinking for myself. And that is the one thing I know we have control over… our thoughts, but it takes a huge amount of practice. And then, there are even our thoughts about our thoughts… how we think about what we are thinking. “Oh, if only I had a brain,” said the scarecrow.

Davina’s last blog post..Benefits Of Turning Off Comments

15. Ribbon on February 28th, 2009 12:06 pm

Hi, at this point in my life I feel that the only area that I have control over is my attitude(my internal map of reality) towards events.
    I don’t feel capable of stoping external events interfering with me.
    For example……… when vandals set fire to our car. I don’t feel that I attracted that event, but I certainly was able to control my attitude towards it.

Interesting post.

Best wishes Ribbon :-)

Ribbon’s last blog post..eye test!

16. cathlawson on February 28th, 2009 3:24 pm

Hi Ruth – I’m glad you brought up Victor Frankl. He was a great positive thinker and I have to wonder what he’d make of the Hicks’s holocaust claims.

What you say about rape victims is interesting. The Law of Attraction thing would make them feel worse wouldn’t it? I can imagine they would find it a whole lot harder to recover if they thought it was their faults.

I know we sometimes get instinctual feelings that something is wrong – eg. don’t go to that place etc. But sometimes we ignore those feelings because we’re not even sure what they are, or what they mean.

And as you say, ignoring them and having something bad happening to us, doesn’t make us responsible for the actions of the person who caused us harm.

Hi Mark – Hope you’re well – I haven’t seen you for ages. It does seem like they’ve used these theory to make their other ideas stand up. And like you, I feel they made a terribly insensitive choice to use as an example.

I’m with you on being more open to new things and being aware of your surroundings. That has worked well for me.

Hi Lillie – Exactly – the positive attitude helped a whole heap towards your recovery but it couldn’t have prevented your stroke. You know, I would never have guessed you’d had a stroke, if you hadn’t already told me.

I’m guessing it was the same for you when you were attacked at gunpoint. Your positive attitude couldn’t prevent the attack but it helped you recover from it.

Hi Patricia – It seems that there’s lots of neo-nazis still among us. Some document leaking the names of the ones in the UK was released on the Internet a few months ago, but quickly disappeared. Apparently, there were quite a few police officers on their, which is disturbing.

It is sad that that woman is taking advantage of those people. They do prey on those who are the most vulnerable. The psychic I talk about in the post I linked to would only take small donations. She told me that anyone who tries to charge large sums of money for such a service, is not genuine.

For the negative self talk, I found the Eckart Tolle – A New Earth really helpful.

Hi Ruth – Cancer is a horrible thing but it sounds like your mum’s positive thinking is making it a whole lot easier to live with.

Hi Davina – It’s so easy to be influenced by those around us. There’s so much “noise” sometimes, it’s not surprising folk get confused.

I think “The Secret” was helpful in that it maybe encouraged folk to go and read stuff like “Think and Grow Rich”. But there’s a lot of people preaching the idea of the simplified version: that if you focus your thoughts on something, it will happen. And I think that could be harmful to people who actually believe it.

Hi Ribbon – I’m glad you didn’t believe that you caused those vandals to set fire to your car. It must have been a frightening experience at the time. But as you say, you could control your attitude towards it.

17. Friar on March 1st, 2009 9:19 pm

What Esther Hicks says about the Holocaust victims is so totally insulting and insensitive, it’s not even worthy of any debate.

I’m with Vered. I think the law of attraction is just new-age bullshit.

Friar’s last blog post..Travels with the Bear: From Sea to Sea to Sea

18. Andrew on March 1st, 2009 10:28 pm

I am a full believer in taking responsibility for one’s own actions, but that said, it is ridiculous to suggest that everything which happens to you is within your control.

Take victims of a car accident. If you were the driver, and your actions cause or contribute toward the accident, then you must accept at least a degree of responsibility. Same goes for any passenger who contributes to the extent of injuries to themselves or others, say be refusing to wear a seat belt.

But you can’t help it if another drunken idiot runs you off the road, and where this occurs, it is ridiculous to suggest that it was your own responsibility in any way.

An old friend of mine was disabled for life due when he was nineteen. Nowadays, he is a motivational speaker with a passion for the promotion of road safety. But he would be justifiably insulted if anyone suggested that he was in any way responsible for his condition.

Andrew’s last blog post..Employee rights and responsibilities part 10: Same work, same pay

19. cathlawson on March 2nd, 2009 12:49 am

Hi Friar – That’s a good point. But I liked the first book. And so many people rave about the Hicks books, I thought it would be interesting to hear the thoughts of others.

I’m kind of wondering if some people are reading these books and only listening to the parts they want to hear. Or do they truly believe every single word?

Hi Andrew – Those are good examples. It’s great that your friend has managed to turn a devastating situation round and do something positive by promoting road safety to others. And I can understand why he would be insulted if someone blamed him for his condition.

20. Friar on March 2nd, 2009 2:01 am

@Cath

Well, when people start claiming they’re communicating with higher powers (or voices, whatever), that’s when I start to take things with a big grain of salt.

Friar’s last blog post..Travels with the Bear: From Sea to Sea to Sea

21. cathlawson on March 2nd, 2009 2:25 am

I try to keep an open mind Friar. But I’m guessing that if I ever did get to talk to a higher power – they wouldn’t spend hours telling me how to make a boat load of cash.

Mind you – the ones who really scare me are those who received messages from a higher power before they went out and murdered a whole bunch of people.

22. Jannie Funster on March 2nd, 2009 3:40 am

To think that the Jews brought the holocaust on themselves does not add up for me. And I dont think they ever could’ve predicted the evil of the Nazis.

In general I do think that we bring the little things on ourselves (Spend too much time blogging, forget to pay the power bill, get power temporarily cut off, things like that.

Law of attraction makes perfect sense to me – think and expect good things and they will come to us. Luck favors the prepared and all that.

Jannie Funster’s last blog post..Why?

23. Patricia on March 2nd, 2009 3:57 am

A long time ago a Native American Shaman told me that all the money I would ever need would come to me….I was a hard worker so I should just put that worry out of my mind. Being told this in my youth from someone I thought wise and trustworthy and I stopped worrying about money….I have always had enough money for me…not always enough for a whole family, but enough for me….

I rather feel that the reason I don’t get Long Term Health Ins. is because I will not need it…so I should not waste $100 a month on the premiums….which we pay for my husband because he will need someone to take care of him in his old age….and I will not be around?

I think I will live out my full life and I will work at being as healthy as I can….but having someone tell me not to worry about money for me….has been very freeing…I think worry would drive the money away and by not worrying and believing I will always have enough for my needs…it has been so.

My husband always gets exactly what he wants…in his heart and mind….he is a kind and loving person – he always gets exactly what he wants….that is another form of law of attraction that seems great…

HIs office manager is running around in this $ crisis like chicken little – it is so distracting to him getting work into the office that he does all his prep work at night after everyone leaves….her crisis mode distracts him from what he wants – which is meaning ful, environmentally smart, work which will keep our community going and enhance the beauty in the world – and keep 12 families supported…

but I think wishing for a boat load of money or a necklace is not the way to go….

there is preparation and effort…but if it is something you really truly want…it will come to you…

when things don’t fall into place with all the planning and prep. well then it is not the right direction? path? and the often pain ful lessons are to get one back on their own path… for success?

I found the Law of Attraction skips that part of the process and Jack Canfeld used to devote 1/3 of his success work on the stepping stones part – now he sounds like Mr. Greedy personalified.

Yes, my neighbours I think are nuts …

Patricia’s last blog post..It’s NOT all in your Head

24. Robin on March 2nd, 2009 6:27 am

Hi Cath

I believe that every single little thing in our existence is a playing out of what is going on in our consciousness-body structure. I also think we can heal ourselves by changing things in this structure – e.g. if we habour resentment, we could get a cancerous tumour, and we can make that tumour go away by flushing out the resentment from our bodies. Thousands of people have healed themselves in this way.

I believe this scenario is true for both myself and other people, so when I know someone is struggling and in pain, I feel a huge amount of compassion for them, that they are creating this pain for themselves but don’t have the tools to change the situation. This is very different from thinking “it’s their fault!”

If we look at things this way, it’s also important to forgive ourselves for creating the “thing” – and know that we were doing the best we could.

I believe these issues are NEVER anyone’s fault – would we say a young child is at fault because they couldn’t spell correctly? Or because they couldn’t stand up yet? They just don’t know it, or can’t do it, at that time. They are innocent.

My response to hearing of large groups of people suffering is to think I want to heal myself to a higher level than where I am at the time, so I am better able to help other people learn to heal themselves. For example, I just did an intensive 2-day healing workshop this weekend – called ‘The Journey’, with Brandon Bays. This woman healed herself of a basketball-sized tumour in 6 weeks, using a deep inner healing method she invented. Her organisation is running outreach programs in the fire-affected areas here, over the next few weeks, as it happens.

As for all these large groups of people dying – well, if the mass consciousness of the world was into physical immortality, they wouldn’t, would they? I’d prefer it if they didn’t die – that’s why I’m doing my blog.

Robin’s last blog post..The Fountain Of Youth Gets An Update!

25. Alex Fayle | Someday Syndrome on March 2nd, 2009 6:32 am

Ruth said: Frankl said that you can’t control everything that happens to you, but you can control how you react to it and what you make of it.

This is exactly what I believe. I don’t actually need to say anything else. ;)

Alex Fayle | Someday Syndrome’s last blog post..Everybody wants to be a (Lab) Rat

26. Cath Lawson on March 2nd, 2009 1:58 pm

Hi Jannie – I have to wonder if the thinking and expecting brigade have not gone to far. Before The Secret film came out, what had been written on the subject involved a whole lot more.

I’ve done the same as you’ve done with your power bill, with my oil tank. Luckily – the oil company I use are really good about coming out same day, when I forget.

Hi Patricia – I was v shocked when I read what you said on Friar’s blog about your neighbours. I bet you’re glad they’re moving.

I’m curious. How do you know you won’t need health insurance but your husband will and that you will die before him? It would be nice to know those things.

We used to pay into a massive life insurance, for our children, incase we both died but we stopped it, as it was v expensive and I felt that we were worrying far too much about dying.

Like you – I believe things go wrong when I’ve been on the wrong path. I’ve had a lot of shit happen but I usually take it as a warning that I’m going in the wrong direction.

Hi Robin – I knew you would be able to explain some of this. I didn’t get that film you recommended watched before I was ill, so hopefully this week. But I’m betting it’s all not so simple as the Law of Attraction would have folk believe.

I’ve also heared about many people healing themselves. I’m starting the Silva program (finally) this week – I know people have healed themselves with that and I wonder if it works in the same way? If it can help me get rid of a couple of bad habits, I will be grateful. Six weeks to heal such a massive tumour is remarkable.

I’m really enjoying reading your stuff on physical immortality. But I’m also still wondering if we can actually prevent things like car accident, natural disasters etc? I’m guessing that nobody really knows that yet.

It sounds like you’re saying that if everyone believed this and did exactly what they needed to – nobody would die. But, I’m betting it would be a massive challenge getting everyone to believe it and an even bigger one to get them all to do what they need to all of the time.

It will be interesting to see what happens even if only a small group manage to achieve physical immortality though.

27. cathlawson on March 2nd, 2009 2:04 pm

Hi Alex – Your comment went into moderation – I don’t know why. John put so many security things on here, I could probably cope without Askimet.

Definitely – we can control how we react to things. It isn’t always easy to do so but it’s possible.

28. Patricia on March 2nd, 2009 10:09 pm

I know I will not need health ins. because the Ins. companies tell me so – I have spent 3 years working hard at getting my weight below 200 pounds, not being pre-diabetic, and getting hypertension off my health charts…..I have apparently failed and am turning 60 this year, any one of those things would disqualify me for health ins. to have all 3 says I am doomed…so I figure my life path says I will not need Long Term INS. My husband is 62 but his health age is 38 yrs….even with Celiac Disease and Rheumatoid Arthristis….and possible going deaf. The Ins. companies say he is an ok risk and may have long Term care ins.
    He needs it because if I am not here to cook for him, or a care center does not cook for him properly…my children will have to take over the job….plus as wonderfully as he designs buildings and wins ecological awards….he is the original absent minded professor….he has no idea how to pay bills on line…or what needs to be done when…since I have had cancer so many times, I am only hoping to live to a healthy 86 years…my father only made it 66 years…

So it is the Ins. company’s odds that say I will not need care and they will not pay for it….they think I will die before I need nursing care or if I do….I have lived such a fat, American lazy lifestyle that I will have to find my own care and pay for it….or commit suicide so as not to bankrupt my family….

It’s very similar to the fact that my husband made too much money so unless we got divorced and my youngest and I went on welfare, we had to pay every penny for my daughter’s cleft palate repair work…..$261.000.00 us dollars. Husband will have to work until he is 72 to pay that off and another 2 years to pay off the house, unless something wonderful happens and I figure out how to make a boat load of money!…

That’s how I know :)

Patricia’s last blog post..Sunday Dinner

29. wilhb81 on March 3rd, 2009 5:51 am

Cath, you might say I’m a superstitious person, but I do believe in “Karma’! Hence, I always have this on my mind, if I done something back to other people, then it will be returned to us in someday in the future, maybe twice of what we’ve done to the people!

wilhb81′s last blog post..Mind About the Soup’s Boiling Time!

30. cathlawson on March 3rd, 2009 7:04 am

Wow Patricia – so you can’t get health insurance cos you didn’t tick all the right boxes. That sucks. If it makes you feel better – I almost didn’t get life insurance. Because I’d had PTSD (and I guess it never goes away totally) they had to get more info from my doctor etc.

$261,000 seems a lot of money for cleft palate repair. Did she already have it done? Is it possible to get it done for less outside the USA? You seem to have to pay alot of money for surgery over there.

Hi Wilhb – I don’t think you’re too superstitious. I also try to remember that rule before I throw crap back at people – but it isn’t easy sometimes.

Apparently – it can even come back threefold, not necessarily in this life but after it.

31. Patricia on March 4th, 2009 3:27 am

Yes, Health care is outrageously expensive…I just wrote about a couple that had to divorce to get the wife the health care she needed -my tomorrows post…

I am always being told that cleft palate repair is covered…yes, the initial closing of the lip if it is a complete cleft…I am on a national review board for our State…John McCann, the former Presidential Candidate and still a Senator…is in charge of the cleft palate review association – he has done nothing for 20 years except tell folks they are responsible for their own children…
    Looks like the Brits have isolated a gene which is responsible and a missing protein in the gene….Thank goodness I think this malady maybe going away in our future thanks to the British and Canadian medical societies research.

32. cathlawson on March 4th, 2009 11:13 am

Hi Patricia – that is bad. It sounds like McCain wasn’t taking his responsibility to that association very seriously.

And folk needing to get a divorce to get medical care is terrible. Your country sounds a lot like ours – folk who don’t want to work seem to be entitled to a whole lot more than those who do. At least we still have a health service – mind you, we do pay for it through national insurance.

33. Hilary on March 5th, 2009 12:42 am

I like your question Cath and I know the answer! Well, it works for me anyway.

It’s not about blame. It’s not about you’re a bad person if bad things happen to you. It’s about: we had a reason for coming here and sometimes, maybe often, catastrophes and disasters help us achieve those ends. Or provide us with an exit option, ie. death. If you assume we have an immortal essence, then death is something similar to childbirth, sometimes difficult, but a beautiful transition.

I prefer to achieve my ends without pain and suffering as much as possible and that’s where Abraham comes in.

Hilary’s last blog post..Circumventing the economic crisis

34. Celtic jewellery on March 11th, 2009 12:01 pm

Very nice information. Thanks for this.

35. Ulaa on June 12th, 2009 9:17 pm

I’ve read the “Ask and It Is Given…aside from Abraham channeling trash the hypothesis about how we on this planet relate to each other and to the world on the physical-vibrational level is worthy of research.
    However, I will never agree to put the highest importance into making myself see only what I want to see and become a social idiot interested only in myself.
    I will never accept that all hungry, starving and dying kids in Africa for example and elsewhere are to blame for their own horrible life conditions, or that Holocaust victims are to blame for their own destiny.
    Esther says in the book that we could shift the thinking as some of them could have escaped to their cousins who lived abroad and not have finished in the gas chambers…well what a proposition! What about those who didn’t have cousins abroad?

All in total, I think any method taken to SERVE us is good and is worthy, however all that makes us BECOME SLAVES of the system is wrong (like affirmation promoted by Hicks: “the most important thing for me is to see what I like” is plain wrong because it prevents me from realizing there is wrong things that I can, as a human being change for the benefit of not only me but other humans, too).

36. Kanina on June 22nd, 2009 7:22 pm

It appear to me you misunderstood my statement. I did not say focus on the worldly recession. You may not agree or believe in the law of attraction. Yes! there is more involved in the law of attraction then your thoughts. But your thoughts are what you have power over!

The law of attraction is working if “You” know it are not!

I did not say i agree to any evil or misfortune of others.

There’s not need for me, to continue to explain. You have the right to your belief. What is true to you….is true to you!

Take Care
    God Bless!
    KANINA

37. cathlawson on June 22nd, 2009 10:32 pm

Hi Hilary – I’ve heard people who believe in reincarnation say that we choose what lessons we want to learn before we’re born. Is that the kind of thing you mean?

And I can understand that but it’s just hard to imagine that such a huge amount of people would want to experience so much pain and suffering all at once. But I guess it’s not impossible. And if reincarnation is real – I can imagine why people would feel the need to experience as much as they could.

Hi Ulaa – I’m glad you mentioned changing for the benefit of others. I don’t like the way the book focuses on encouraging you to help yourself & implies that you can’t help others.

38. Intelligence v Hard Work | Catherine Lawson on August 6th, 2009 4:27 am

[...] To Be Lucky Are We Stupid? Silva Life System Review Life Problems – Is It All Your Own Fault? Be A Business Success Story – No Matter What Your [...]

39. basketballman on February 3rd, 2010 3:06 am

I used to believe you made your own luck. But, I now believe that it’s all half luck and half chance..