Do You Give A Toss If You Offend People?

March 24, 2009

Do you take online reputation management too far? Before you write something, do you worry about the people you might offend?

While it’s smart to think about what you’re saying online – there’s a happy medium. If you worry too much about saying the wrong thing – chances are, you’ll never write anything worth reading.

No matter what you write – you’ll always offend someone. Some people are just way too bloody sensitive. And others deliberately search for things to piss them off – it’s kind of like a hobby.

You’re Nobody Until You Get Hate Messages: If you haven’t received hate messages, chances are you just don’t have many people reading your stuff yet, or you don’t write anything worth reading.

I’ve had my fair share of hate messages and emails through this blog. And I really do think that some people get their knickers in a twist for nothing.

Hunter Nuttall wrote a few posts comparing Japan to America, his home country and he received some really nasty messages. Maybe some Americans have just had bad experience in other countries. But we don’t all make fun of the way you dress, or that peculiar habit of pulling your white sports socks half way up your legs – honestly.

Cultural differences seem to get Tim Brownson quite a bit of abuse. One woman even told him to go back to his country of origin, among other things. And I can understand that some of his posts are going to attract a bit of disagreement, like this one: Do You Believe In God?

But even when he writes something fairly innocent, like this post taking the piss out of stupid internet marketing gurus – some US readers take offence. They just don’t seem to share his English sense of humour.

Vered DeLew got an email from some whinging woman, just because she’s a Mommy Blogger who doesn’t write about her kids every day.

I really can’t understand these people – why can’t they just read something else? There’s plenty other bloggers who don’t care if their kids get teased at school, or wind up in therapy for years, because they write humiliating crap about them online.

Akemi Gaines has mentioned that she receives mean messages. She writes a lot of articles about positive future changes in the world, like this one: Soul Shifting & The Light Ascension Of Maybe 2012. So I can only guess that some folk who read her articles just don’t like positive change.

If innocent seeming topics like these offend people, what chance do you have? And why worry, unless you’re like Perez Hilton, who seems to have half of LALA Land fantasizing about dancing on his head in six inch heels.

What About Offending Your Regular Readers?

Deliberately upsetting folk who read your stuff often, is usually a bad move. If you sell stuff to aid weight loss and you’re always poking fun at fat folk on your blog, they probably won’t buy from you.

But no matter how careful you are, there’s always a possibility you’ll upset one or two people. Sometimes I write about mistakes I’ve seen businesses make. And unless I think they’re complete assholes, or they’re ripping their customers off, I won’t actually name them.

But however much you disguise them – some people will see themselves in whatever you write. Sometimes that can be a good thing – if it stops them from screwing up.

But Some People Are Just Paranoid

Some people will see themselves in what you write, even if it’s not about them at all. Often, they’re just having a shit day, or they lack self-confidence. And now and again, I get messages from readers asking if particular posts are about them. Usually they’re not and when I explain that – they accept it.

There’s the odd one that won’t accept it at all. And no matter how much you try to reassure them – they won’t believe you weren’t writing about them and the whole world will think they’re stupid, they have herpes, they’re a distant relative of George Bush, fill in the blank here ……….

There’s little you can do about these Drama Queens and at some point, you’ve just got to start hitting the delete button.

Do you offend people online? Do you receive hate messages? Do you have your own set of guidelines to follow, or do you just write whatever comes to mind?

What Is Your Responsibility As A Writer?
Are You Blogging Like A Barbie Doll?
You Can Make Money Writing About Shit
Has Someone Been Writing Crap About You?

Comments

40 Responses to “Do You Give A Toss If You Offend People?”

1. Jason Cohen on March 24th, 2009 3:05 pm

You’re right to not take a personally, but it’s hard not to!

I got a lot of both love and hate mail for my rant against “follow-the-leader” (behind-the-scenes: http://blog.asmartbear.com/blog/behind-the-scenes-of-a-viral-post-why-successful-bloggers-co.html)

Still, when the “big boys” disagree (like Seth Godin, who wrote a somewhat harsh comment to my latest post) it’s hard not to feel it.

Then again, I completely agree that if you’re not saying something strong enough to offend, you’re not saying much.

Jason Cohen’s last blog post..Please stop saying social media marketing is free

2. Betsy Wuebker on March 24th, 2009 3:26 pm

So…it’s not about me, then? :D

Betsy Wuebker’s last blog post..ADVENTURES IN CUSTOMER SERVICE – BEST BUY EMBRACES THE SUCK

3. Akemi - Yes to Me on March 24th, 2009 3:40 pm

Ah… I was thinking, as I read, “Well, I somehow offended plenty of people writing about light ascension, but maybe not enough many to be listed here…”
    No death threat here yet ^_^ although I don’t have the fear of death, threat is un-nice.

I care about people. I care about people’s feelings, too, so I don’t write mean stuffs just to offend them. But truth needs to be told, especially now. And blogs give us the exact means to do this.

And don’t be too concerned about losing readers. I lost, and then found myself be the sole authority who can talk about light ascension from the perspective of Akashic Record Reading specialist.

You can do this too. You need to express yourself to establish your niche.

Akemi – Yes to Me’s last blog post..How Darkworkers Control You And The World

4. Annie Anderson on March 24th, 2009 3:50 pm

Cath -

But then, I believe when someone is offended, it has nothing to do with anyone but themselves – it has everything to do with something inside of them. Some event from the past or whatever that they have yet to let go of.

If *I* take offense to what someone has said or written, it’s my first clue that I have an issue within myself I must resolve. Getting mad at the offender won’t help me – only I can help myself.

Annie Anderson’s last blog post..Thoughts on tweetdeck

5. Vered - MomGrind on March 24th, 2009 4:52 pm

I am very slowly growing a thicker skin. Which means I don’t worry as much about offending others or getting hate comments and hate mail.

It’s a slow process though. I still worry too much about offending others.

Vered – MomGrind’s last blog post..Stay At Home Mom? Protect Yourself Financially

6. Brad Shorr on March 24th, 2009 6:46 pm

Hi Cath, Actually I try hard not to offend people, as far as being polite and respectful. My feeling is there needs to be mutual respect in order to discuss things intelligently and productively, particularly when we are talking about a sensitive topic.

Brad Shorr’s last blog post..Spiritual Renewal Monday

7. Barbara Ling, Virtual Coach on March 24th, 2009 7:12 pm

HEY! What’s wrong with white socks up to the knees?????? :)

I never try to intentionally offend folks…I figure they can choose to intrepret my writing any way they so desire. I cannot own their own feelings.

I agree with Brad – mutual respect goes a long long way.

Barbara Ling, Virtual Coach’s last blog post..Twitter Affiliate Marketing

8. Barbara Swafford on March 24th, 2009 7:19 pm

Hi Catherine – I try hard not to offend others, but when I wrote a post about now wanting profanity on my blog, others seemed to take offense to that and “assumed” I was saying NO ONE should have profanity on their blogs, which was far from the truth.

Although I’ve been bashed, thus far no hate mail. Hopefully it stays that way.

Barbara Swafford’s last blog post..When Things Aren’t As They Appear

9. Kim Woodbridge on March 24th, 2009 7:58 pm

I mostly try not to offend people although with most of what I write it would be hard to do so. They can tell me a better way to code something but I don’t think my example will be offensive.

I did write an article last year where I listed useless WordPress plugins. One of the plugin authors was offended and wrote about it. But it all worked out for the best because we’ve become great friends online and he helps me out with plugin problems frequently.

I do accidentally offend people on twitter – I think it’s a combination or my sense of humor and that they don’t get sarcasm. I was mass unfollowed last night bec of something I said. They never say they are offended though – they just unfollow.

Kim Woodbridge’s last blog post..10 WordPress Themes for Video Games

10. Debra Snider on March 24th, 2009 8:34 pm

I’m with Kingsley Amis on this question: “If you can’t annoy somebody, there’s little point in writing.” I try to write respectfully, but I don’t worry about offending. As you point out, people bring what they bring when they read; there’s no way, and no reason, to constrain one’s writing so as to control readers’ reactions.

I do occasionally censor myself on my blog, though – not to avoid offending people (which I’m sure I’ve done), but because some opinions and ideas can’t accurately be conveyed out of context to total strangers. My blog isn’t a private diary. It’s also not a written chat among friends who know each other and can recognize inflection and resolve disquieting concerns based on familiarity and shared history. I don’t pretend to be someone I’m not, but my blog is a public face, not my whole face. Expressing certain of my “what the hell is the matter with people?!?” views on the ideas and causes other people hold dear is something I don’t do there. To get those, you need to know me for real or read my books!

Debra Snider’s last blog post..I’m a Guest Blogger!

11. cathlawson on March 24th, 2009 8:37 pm

Hi Akemi – I am glad you haven’t received any death threats. If you did, I would be first in line to kick the offenders butts.

I like how you tell the truth and say things other people would be nervous about saying. You are a pioneer in your niche.

Hi Annie – That is very true. Sometimes we have to look inside us to see what is really upsetting us.

Hi Vered – You shouldn’t worry. I like that you are not afraid to be honest. I would hate if you suddenly started telling me how great you thought things like Silva Life System are, when I know you don’t believe in such things.

Hi Brad – I thought you would say something like that, as you are v non-offensive. I guess it depends what you are discussing. Some people would be offended just because you were wearing a red jumper.

Hi Barbara – I was going to use that post as an example but I thought best not to dig it up again. I still laugh about it every time I use Febreze and remember that it was that silly slam that persuaded Stuart to buy it.

Hi Kim – LOL. Because your blog is technical I didn’t think it would be possible to offend people. I never thought about things like plugin reviews. I can understand someone being pissed if you slated their plugin. It’s great you turned things round though.

I never saw you write anything on Twitter that would be offensive though.

12. Mike CJ on March 24th, 2009 9:22 pm

I feel I’m missing out here, or maybe not being controversial enough, because I haven’t had any of this yet! I’m sure I will though, and I’m equally sure I will initially be mortified then gradually move into the “So what” frame of mind. It does amuse me that as the internet makes the world smaller, it also accentuates our cultural differences. For example, I, like most Brit educated people, liberally dose my writing with quite heavy irony, which is often lost on, or taken literally by our American friends.

Mike CJ’s last blog post..SMS Messaging will Never Work!

13. Dot on March 25th, 2009 12:31 am

I haven’t received any hate messages from readers, although I have had a couple of rude ones.

I write about what interests me. My topics are so varied that I can’t really predict what the response will be to any given subject, but no one has ever taken offense.

I did get a nasty comment from a blogger who disliked my comments everywhere, including on his own blog. So, I guess you can’t please everybody. I try to be true to myself and avoid places where I’m not wanted.

Dot’s last blog post..The Painfulness of Hope

14. Hunter Nuttall on March 25th, 2009 2:39 am

Cath, the hate comments I got on my Japan posts weren’t even the worst ones. That honor belongs to a comment I received on a post about how direct you should be with your opinions, where the commenter said he hoped I got to see my family die in a terrorist attack.

I even got a hate email as a reply to my AWeber confirmation message (the email that asks people to confirm their opt-in). Some people will always be offended, so we have to just accept that and try not to let it get to us.

Hunter Nuttall’s last blog post..Amazon Kindle Review: The Future Of Book Reading

15. Patricia on March 25th, 2009 4:41 am

I am looking for communication on my blog and although I have received some awful, horrible, no good, very bad stuff from putting the word “ab tion” which was the subtitle of an article about politics on my post early on….I have not truly gotten horrible emails.

I think I have thicker skin on my blog than I do in person. I think NVC has helped me a great deal

I do find lots of folks don’t read the whole post and then comment with out all the information and I find this rather funny actually – helping me to write shorter posts?

Patricia’s last blog post..Morning Light is Revealing

16. Evelyn Lim on March 25th, 2009 6:14 am

Oh my goodness…some of the offensive comments shared here are really awful!!

My motto is to be peaceful. I do write according to my thoughts but am also mindful that my language or words used should not judge others.

Do I get nasty comments? Rarely. But the few times I do, I just delete them away (if possible). I don’t bother to refute or rebut either. I don’t wish to expend more energy with a negative person. Nor do I find it a calling to convert other people’s beliefs. I have more important things to do!

Evelyn Lim’s last blog post..5 Wealth Affirmations From Famous Authors

17. cathlawson on March 25th, 2009 10:42 am

LMAO Jason – You’ve been busy. I think your article was great. I noticed that Brian Clark didn’t love what you said about Copyblogger. But I didn’t see what Seth said.

Personally, I wouldn’t worry about Seth Godin disagreeing with you. I like some of what he has to say but I don’t agree with all of it. And he closed comments on his own blog, because he annoyed quite a few people.

In one post he suggested that bloggers click on each other’s ads, to help one another make a bit of cash. So you can understand why a few people got upset.

But it’s far better to attract attention by writing stuff like that than it is to be ignored.

LMAO Betsy – I’ve definitely never written anything bad about you.

Hi BarbaraL – :) Exactly – some people will interpret what you write however they want and there’s nothing you can do about it.

Hi Debra – I know what you mean. There’s no point writing something if it isn’t going to make sense to someone who has ust stumbled on your blog for the first time.

LOL Mike – And you advised me to be more anarchaic. Maybe you’re trying o get me shot or something?

Seriously – I think you haven’t been blogging for long enough to annoy people but you will do it. The Americans seem to have a competely different sense of humour to us and many of them do take things seriously when they weren’t meant to be serious.

Hi Dot – It sounds like that guy was stalking you, if he was complaining about what you wrote in other places. He sounds like a bit of a nut.

Hi Hunter – That is terrible. It scares me that people even think like that.

If you are getting folk leaving mean comments because of the double opt-in, it sounds like they’re doing it deliberately, just to be a pain in the ass.

On one of my sites I had competitors signing up to my newsletter then reporting it as spam. So I got warnings from Aweber. It’s ridiculous really. At that time Aweber didn’t even let you add email addresses but I think they do now.

Hi Patricia – I can understand how that word would attract a lot of nuts. And it’s true – some people don’t read properly before commenting – it’s good that you’ve been able to use that to your advantage.

Hi Evelyn – That’s a good way to deal with them. It’s crazy to let complete strangers upset you.

18. Tom Volkar / Delightful Work on March 25th, 2009 12:58 pm

I write to inspire and to encourage the leap to the freedom of self-employment. So I have had some people write and try to defend employment but their comments really had no teeth to them. I’ve clearly stated that employment is modern day slavery but no one has gotten nasty with me in 1.5 years. Not one. Perhaps it’s because my main mission is to inspire?

Tom Volkar / Delightful Work’s last blog post..Starting Over

19. cathlawson on March 25th, 2009 1:30 pm

Hi Tom – That’s interesting. Maybe it is because your mission is to inspire. Or maybe you just didn’t find people with strong enough beliefs in employment? I wrote a similar post on here a while ago and aside from one sarcastic comment, I didn’t get a lot of flack for it.

But I’m guessing most of our readers are probably leaning towards the idea that self-employment is a good thing, or they wouldn’t read our stuff.

BTW Tom, I don’t think self-employment is right for everyone. I know many people who would hate the idea. A lot of people just want to collect a wage, go home and not have to think about work.

And I know some people who run businesses and would give up all the hassle involved, if they could find some mundane job that would pay them a decent salary. One guy told me he would happily give up his business to shovel shit for £100k a year.

20. Tom Volkar / Delightful Work on March 25th, 2009 1:41 pm

Absolutely, I’ve never said that self-employment is for everyone. It’s the best solution for those of us who value freedom higher than anything else. But it is sad to consider that some folks just want to settle and live uninspired lives for most of their waking hours.

Of course about 10% of folks are happily employed. It’s the other 90% that need a big dose of radical honesty. The shit shoveler can keep on dreaming but I like the fact that the marketplace pays us according to the value we give.

Tom Volkar / Delightful Work’s last blog post..Starting Over

21. cathlawson on March 25th, 2009 2:17 pm

Tom – I think the shit shoveler is crazy. But he was having a really bad year.

Still I’m betting that out of the 90% who are unhappy – a huge chunk would be even unhappier if they were self-employed. A lot of people do want to lead uninspired lives & they’ll moan plenty about their crappy existence. Like you, I find it hard to understand.

22. Andrew on March 25th, 2009 2:25 pm

From my point of view, I believe that it is important to distinguish between unnecessary offence and the type of offense which is unwittingly caused when you are trying to make a joke or a point on a controversial topic.

Under no circumstances should one avoid discussion on controversial issues just in case they offend someone. That’s rubbish. Free speech represents one of the fundamental values of western society, and provided that sensitive issues are dealt with in an appropriately sensitive manner, no one should avoid discussion on controversial issues for fear of offending others.

In terms of humor blogs, whilst there are some topics which you just shouldn’t joke about (terrorism, sexual assault, suicide), if you don’t offend someone every now and then, your humor will no doubt be pretty boring.

That said, I feel that one should avoid any form of statements which could cause offense unnecessarily without any apparent purpose or reason.

Andrew’s last blog post..Four rants about AIG’s ‘poor performance’ bonus

23. Valerie on March 25th, 2009 2:29 pm

My blogs are fairly new so I haven’t received any hate mail (yet). Surprisingly enough, the post that received the strongest reaction was on my blog – http://www.valeriehjohnson.com – it is titled, No Hugs Please, I have HDD (Hug Deficit Disorder). The reactions were not posted on the blog, but on my Facebook wall from people I know who don’t understand why I don’t want them to hug me.

I’ve visited some blogs that I don’t care for what they write about. I just don’t go back. For blogs that I read regularly, I will sometimes disagree with something they write but so what; they are entitled to their opinion.

Some people look for a reason to complain, some are too sensitive and some are just small minded. The worst are those who can’t tolerate another point of view.

Valerie’s last blog post..Caregiver Updates for the Past Few Days

24. Tom Volkar / Delightful Work on March 25th, 2009 3:06 pm

Cath, You said ..

“The folk who really need a shove in the right direction are the ones who are unhappy but just don’t have the confidence, or simply don’t know how to make a change.

I’m betting that’s still a low percentage of the population though. Do you think 2% would be a good guess, or is that too low?”

I think that claiming I don’t know how usually boils down to an excuse that covers up the “want to”. When a client really wants something, my coaching can get her there. Life and business are both creations that come from commitment, not reactions.

I think it’s higher than 2% but I tend to hang around with creators and folks who want to play a bigger game.

It really doesn’t matter what your story is or how long you’ve been stuck. If the committed want to is there – one can move mountains in 90 days.

Tom Volkar / Delightful Work’s last blog post..Starting Over

25. Kim Woodbridge on March 25th, 2009 4:15 pm

Meh … they were probably all Chelsea fans anyway ;-)

Kim Woodbridge’s last blog post..10 WordPress Themes for Video Games

26. John Hoff - WpBlogHost on March 25th, 2009 4:35 pm

I agree with Betsy:

“While I don’ t go out of my to NOT offend people, I certainly don’t purposefully write to offend.”

It’s inevitable as bloggers there will be people who disagree with us. And sometimes they’ll just take you too literally.

Other times, you might be wrong about something (hard to admit), but people have a piss poor way of telling you.

So what to do? Keep it going.

Someone once told me, there’s no news like bad news. If you want your blog to be popular, be controversial. Trust me, you’ll get thousands – even millions of dollars worth of advertising for free.

What do people like in this world? Unfortunately, it’s dirty laundry.

John Hoff – WpBlogHost’s last blog post..2 Easy Ways To Set Up A WordPress Firewall

27. cathlawson on March 25th, 2009 4:49 pm

Hi Andrew – That is so true – we would be screwed without freedom of speech in this country. And the Sunday papers would have no dodgy politicians to write about.

I too hate it when folk tell offensive jokes though.

Hi Valerie – I had no idea that you had other blogs aside from your caregivers one. It is scary that people were complaining because you don’t want them to hug you.

I know what you mean about those I’m right and you’re wrong if I don’t agree types. I read a forum thread yesterday and noticed that folk who strongly disagreed with the moderator had been banned. I thought that was kind of creepy.

Hi Tom – That’s a really good point – it’s easy enough to find out how to do something.

The 2% is a figure I’ve heard thrown round before but I’m betting it’s just a guess. Like you, I’m guessing the real figure is probably higher. But a lot of those will dream and not do.

Now that it is easier to access information on the Internet, I’m wondering if that will make a difference to the overall figure.

Hi Kim – I didn’t like to mention football. I thought you’d still be upset after your favourite team got slaughtered at the weekend.

28. cathlawson on March 25th, 2009 4:54 pm

Hi John – That is so true – I guess that’s why the papers are never full of good news.

I owe you an email too – I know. Sorry – I really got behind with Joshua being ill last week. I hope you didn’t want anything too urgent. It’s probably just as well I’m not a doctor :)

29. John Hoff - WpBlogHost on March 25th, 2009 6:55 pm

No sweat Cath. When asking for a favor, I’m not picky hehe.

Joshua – good name. That’s my oldest son’s name.

30. Jannie Funster on March 26th, 2009 1:44 am

The post I received the most comments on so far (73,) also garnered me my first (and only) insult.

Negativity really makes some peoples’ days. But not mine.

btw, it’s actually we Canucks who started that sport sock trend – only they have to be worn with sandals.

Born and raised Canuck that is, before my wandering ways got the best of me.

Jannie Funster’s last blog post..Technical woes

31. Robin on March 26th, 2009 12:16 pm

Hi Cath – this has all been a fascinating read. I must be very boring, because i have not been abused. Well once, and I left it on my blog so i could address what he was saying.

I do stress out at times about my posts. I was worrying about a recent one, because I knew some people would not like it, and Frank said i just had to write what I thought. I went ahead and the world didn’t cave in – but it was very difficult.

Robin’s last blog post..What If? The Movie, A Review

32. cathlawson on March 26th, 2009 2:24 pm

Hi John – I did not realise our kids had the same names. You’re lucky – yours are still small. I wish it was possible to turn teenagers back into toddlers.

Hi Jannie – What is a Canuck? With sandals is even worse. I would rather wear nothing on my feet.

Hi Robin – I am surprised the topic you write on hasn’t provoked mean messages.

But I know you were a bit unsure about writing too much about physical bodies living forever and this may come across in your posts. Once you become more confident about what you’re writing you’ll probably get more hassle from readers.

Like you I used to worry about some of the things I wrote. Then I realized that most people don’t care whether you consistently write things they like.

33. Davina on March 27th, 2009 5:14 am

Hi Cath. I haven’t received any horrid email or comments thankfully. I’m glad to not have to waste the energy dealing with them, but I’m sure one day they’re bound to pop up… you can’t please everybody. I guess you can thank the Drama Queens in one respect… they have given you something to write about.

Davina’s last blog post..A Vision of Fulfillment

34. wilhb81 on March 27th, 2009 5:33 am

This is the hardest parts of becoming a blogger/online journalist, Cath. If you write about some boring and dull stuffs, no one will care about it. However, when you’re writing about country issues or controversial news, then you’ll have the great chance of being arrested under Internal Security Act (ISA)!

wilhb81′s last blog post..Cash Advance Loans Will Help You Out From Financial Trouble!

35. cathlawson on March 27th, 2009 9:33 am

Hi Davina – That’s a good point. And I guess the Drama Queens who thought I’d written about them finally got their wish too.

Hi Wilhb – That’s a really good point. If you live in a country that doesn’t have freedom of speech – it’s not just hate mail that you may attract.

36. A Love/Hate relationship with Social Media Marketing on March 27th, 2009 2:47 pm

[...] Lawson says, You’re Nobody until You Get Hate Messages. If you’re tempted to send such a message, take a lesson from my Pest Control company, Truly [...]

37. Kuy on April 6th, 2009 11:14 am

I don’t think you should spend your time worrying if people are offended by some off hand remark. I find people today have such thin skins, if I were to worry about it I’d be a wreck.

- Kuy

38. Dr. Steve Bedwell on May 5th, 2009 3:18 pm

Your comment “You’re Nobody Until You Get Hate Messages” reminds me of advice I was given when I first tried to market my motivational speaking services: “If you don’t offend anybody you’re not marketing hard enough.”

One important distinction for me is whether someone is offended because I’ve challenged one of their core beliefs or because I’ve been a jerk.

Steve

Dr. Steve Bedwell’s last blog post..Emotional Intelligence – A Critical Element

39. woo themes review on November 2nd, 2009 12:34 am

great post. I also recommend conducting polls-helps alot when it comes down to finding out what your list wants, needs and desires.

40. David@Personal loans on April 14th, 2010 12:32 pm

I respect others and always try not to offend people, but there seems to be a violent behavior out there for some reason. I don’t beleive you have to offend somebody in order to make your point. That’s absurd! What happened to good manners, respect for others, understandin one another? If you need to offend somebody to make your point, then you are not good enough to do it the right and respectful way.