Would You Jump Off A Cliff To Find Out?

June 17, 2009

Cliff Jumping

Where do we go when we die? And do we spend too much of our lives wondering about it? Some folk seem to spend half their lives thinking about the afterlife. For others it’s a hobby and some people turn the whole damn thing into a career. Me – I’m just curious.

Of course, I know I’m unlikely to know for sure while I’m still alive. And I’m definitely not curious enough to jump off a cliff to find out.

The cynic in me says there’s nothing for us after that final light goes out. Our egos just can’t accept that we’re insignificant enough to merely stop existing.

Of course it’s not just ego. Fear plays a huge part in our beliefs and I guess one of our biggest fears is the unknown. So instead of not knowing, it’s far easier to believe that we go to some amazing paradise with free beer. But where that is exactly and what we do when we get there, is a big mystery.

If heaven doesn’t have all the things we take for granted, like work, tv, McDonalds and the Internet, surely life would get a bit boring. And if they do have all those things, would it really be worth going to when we die, or would it be sort of like a busman’s holiday?

Some people believe that we don’t exactly go to heaven when we die. There’s all these different planes and we work our way up to higher ones, by coming down to earth now and then, to learn new lessons we’ve chosen.

Now I kind of like the idea of that. After all, we don’t really get the chance to learn everything in one lifetime. Trouble is, I can’t remember the stuff I learned last time, so that makes it seem a bit pointless.

Then there’s the reincarnation theory. They used to say that if you hadn’t been saintly enough, you’d probably come back as a pig, or an anteater or something when you died. But lately, I’ve noticed a lot of the reincarnation folks are saying we only come back as humans. And that’s fine by me. I never really fancied winding up on somebody’s plate as a nice bit of sirloin steak or potted rabbit.

To be honest, I’m not really all that keen on the reincarnation theory as a whole. You might get lucky and wind up somewhere nice. But around 80% of the world’s population live in relative poverty. So I’m guessing that the chances of winding up in some shithole like Iraq, or Swaziland, are high. And if those were my only options, I think I’d rather just go to sleep when I die.

The last option that comes to mind is the ghost theory. And I’ll admit – I’ve felt ghostly presences after folk have died. But those presences have been one off’s – none of them have been back to visit since. And I guess that makes sense. If you were a ghost, you wouldn’t want to haunt your nearest and dearest would you? It would be much more fun to scare the crap out of mean bastards, or people who’d pissed you off when you were alive.

But coming back as a ghost after you die doesn’t sound that exciting. Walking through walls would be cool at first but the novelty would soon wear off. If there was nowhere interesting to go and nobody to talk to then I guess you might as well just be dead.

I suppose it might be a good thing that we don’t know where we go when we die. If we found out that it wasn’t going to be so great after all, people would worry even more than they do already. And if we discovered we were going to some awesome place, there’d be too many people committing mass suicide and stuff to get there a bit faster.

When I weigh up the options – the idea of a long sleep is beginning to sound more and more appealing. Don’t get me wrong – I’m not ready to go yet and it would be great if there was something better. But it’s hard to imagine what. What do you think? Where do we go when we die?

Related Reading On This Site

Who Wants To Live Forever?
10 Ways To Immortalize Yourself
Can You Fix Your Life – Silva System Review Part 6
47 Amazing Bucket List Ideas & Resources

Related Reading On Other Sites

Do You Believe In God?
Freedom From The Fear Of Death
Ghosts
Rebirthing and Physical Immortality

Image Credit – Powderruns

Comments

47 Responses to “Would You Jump Off A Cliff To Find Out?”

1. Laurie on June 17th, 2009 5:34 pm

Hi Cath!
    There is a book called, “Heaven” by Randy Alcorn that talks about what Heaven will be like. He uses scripture in the Bible to support his ideas. I am about half way through it and it is fascinating! You might enjoy it!

2. cathlawson on June 17th, 2009 5:43 pm

Hi Laurie – I will have to read that – thanks. I also saw another one advertised on Amazon which was written by a priest who died in a car crash but came back to life. I think I might check out both.

3. Brad Shorr on June 17th, 2009 6:30 pm

Hi Cath, There’s no way we can really know what happens to us after death – if we could, there would be no such thing as faith. For me, belief in Heaven has very little to do with ego or fear (as far as I can tell). Ever since I can remember, I intuitively believed there was more to existence than what we can perceive with our senses, and most everything in my experiences and studies have confirmed that belief.

Brad Shorr’s last blog post..5000 Comments for Word Sell

4. cathlawson on June 17th, 2009 6:40 pm

Hi Brad – That’s interesting – I assumed that a lot of folk who do believe in heaven did so for those reasons. I guess not everyone does.

I really do wish I could have your faith. It would be nice to believe there was more but I struggle to believe anything without solid proof.

5. Brad Shorr on June 17th, 2009 6:44 pm

Hi Cath, You might enjoy reading “The Everlasting Man”, by G.K. Chesterton. It’s not reflective of modern thinking, which is why it appeals to me.

Brad Shorr’s last blog post..5000 Comments for Word Sell

6. cathlawson on June 17th, 2009 6:51 pm

Thanks Brad – I will check that book out now.

7. Akemi - Yes to Me on June 17th, 2009 10:19 pm

Hi, thank you for the link love for my article on the fear of death.

Well, there are actually quite a few people who, at least vaguely, remember their past lives and deaths, and what happened in between. This doesn’t make them commit suicide — life is a gift and we can enjoy it while we are here. Then when the time is ripe, we can move on to go through the transformation.

A friend of mine, who was familiar with this idea of Akashic Records, passed away a few days ago. Her health was failing, and she chose not to be kept on tubes. I am sad to say good bye to her, as she has been in this world, but I also respect here choice.

Love & Light,
    Akemi

Akemi – Yes to Me’s last blog post..Why I Died At Age Four

8. cathlawson on June 17th, 2009 10:45 pm

Hi Akemi – That must have been a hard choice for your friend to make.

I know lots of people believe they can vaguely remember their past lives. But how do they know they’re really remembering and it’s not their mind playing tricks on them?

It’s like when people have claimed they saw a bright light, during a near death experience. I’ve watched a few people die and they all seem to do be focused on something. Others have observed the same thing.

So, it’s quite possible they’re looking up at a light. But I’ve also read scientific explanations for the light. So it’s very hard to believe things like this – no matter how much I want to.

9. Kim Woodbridge on June 17th, 2009 11:20 pm

Sometimes I wish that I had a belief in something – a certainty. My brothers both believe in heaven, which made it easier for them to deal with my Mother’s death. They firmly believe she is in better place. Me – I just think we’re dead.

Kim Woodbridge’s last blog post..How to Link to Your Facebook Fan Page from Your Profile Page

10. Robin on June 18th, 2009 12:32 am

Hi Cath – you are remiding me of that movie Beetlejuice – have you seen it? – it’s hilarious. This young couple die and they hang around their house as ghosts and try to get the new family to move out. Thanks for the link! – R

Robin’s last blog post..Sondra Ray – Rebirthing And Physical Immortality

11. cathlawson on June 18th, 2009 12:43 am

Hi Kim – your mother was so young when she died and I bet it would be much better for you to believe she was in heaven. I know folks who have lost family and felt the same – and it seems harder for them to come to terms with what happened.

Hi Robin – Am pleased Frank is out of hospital. I’ve seen that movie – it was too funny. That would be so weird to come back as a ghost in your own house.

12. J.D. Meier on June 18th, 2009 3:06 am

It’s such an interesting topic and so hard to test.

I used to study past life regression and had some amazing experiences, but finally somebody explained how it works in a non magical, practical way. That said, it’s still weird when somebody you know becomes a completely different person.

I remember many moons ago standing on line at the super market, and the lady in front of me was telling somebody how her husband died 3 times. She said he said it was just “nothingness.”

The last person I met that talked about their near death experience, she said audio is the last to go, so you hear things, but then go blank.

J.D. Meier’s last blog post..What’s a Frame?

13. Lillie Ammann on June 18th, 2009 6:05 am

As a Christian, I believe in Heaven. I don’t know exactly what it will be like, but I have faith that it will be good.

I read this little story one time and it reflects my belief: A dying man expressed his fear of dying to a friend who came to visit him. The visitor’s dog was waiting outside the sick room, scratching at the door. The visitor opened the door, and his dog ran excitedly into the room and up to his owner. The owner told his sick friend, “My dog has never been in this room before, but he had no fear of coming through that door because he knew his master was in here. I have no fear of going through death because I know my Master is on the other side.”

Lillie Ammann’s last blog post..By: Bali News And Adsense tips | Do Follow Blog

14. Lillie Ammann on June 18th, 2009 6:08 am

I hate to impose the mundane on this discussion, but I wanted to mention that for some reason, CommentLuv always picks up comments or pingbacks on my blog rather than my posts when I comment on your blog. I don’t know if the same thing happens to other commenters but thought I would bring it to your attention.

Lillie Ammann’s last blog post..By: Bali News And Adsense tips | Do Follow Blog

15. Akemi - Yes to Me on June 18th, 2009 6:16 am

“Maybe some of us are not meant to believe – because we need to keep learning about it.” I like that attitude. Keep learning to your heart’s content ^_^

Akemi – Yes to Me’s last blog post..Why I Died At Age Four

16. Davina on June 18th, 2009 8:28 am

Hi Cath. Interesting… hmm… but I still choose to believe there is more. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

I saw Lillie’s comment about CommentLuv. Funny, cause when I commented a few days ago it parsed a post that I wrote months ago. And it’s happened on a couple of other blogs too… parsing different posts.

Davina’s last blog post..Heads Up — Beware of Crows!

17. Dot on June 18th, 2009 1:21 pm

“Some folk seem to spend half their lives thinking about the afterlife.” In my case, it’s more like all of my life. You stated all the doubts and theories that I have, too, so well. I want to believe there’s more because my own life has been so much less than most, between an abusive childhood and then multiple disabling diseases that began just as I was turning the corner on overcoming the damage done by the abuse.

There are dozens of books on near-death experiences, from all kinds of religious and non-religious viewpoints. There’s also near-death.com (dont’ forget the dash). I’m planning on posting a bunch of the books on my Resources page, which I’m still working on. I’ve met someone who was still consicous after she died on the operating table, so at least for the first period of time right after we die, we’re still there. But then we’re gone, it seems.

I would be happy to get out of this broken body of mine, but I love life on earth. I also wouldn’t mind too much finding a different personality — one less filled with anxiety, sad memories and bitterness over all my losses. But I wuoldn’t jump off a cliff to find out what’s next, no. :-)

Dot’s last blog post..Life and Mad Lib-eration Answers

18. Vered - MomGrind on June 18th, 2009 5:22 pm

I just don’t think about it. It’s completely out of my control and is unlikely to change my behavior and choices anyway.

Vered – MomGrind’s last blog post..Cupcake Recipe

19. Jannie Funster on June 18th, 2009 6:44 pm

Free beer?! Yeah!

I was brought up with Jesus, but am open to Zen teachings and trancendence.

I do belive in Near Death Experiences, as I’ve heard them. So I’m pretty optimistic for a great place after I leave this one. One with the absolute best in personal chefs, I hope!

Jannie Funster’s last blog post..i winned! i winned!!

20. Cath Lawson on June 18th, 2009 10:51 pm

Hi JD – For every exciting bit of evidence that gives strength to the idea – there is another place, something always comes along and dashes it. I wonder how long it takes for the hearing to go?

Hi Lillie – I love that story. I also loved your story about healing.

I noticed the CommentLuv weirdness too. Am betting I need to download an update or something.

Thanks Akemi – I intend to keep doing that :)

Hi Davina – It must be nice to have your faith.

Hi Vered – That is true – no matter how much we think about things like this, we’re unlikely to be able to control them.

LOL Jannie – Personal chefs + free beer sound good.

Cath Lawson’s last blog post..What Can You Do When Your Life Is Stuck?

21. John Hoff - WpBlogHost on June 19th, 2009 4:01 am

Oh geez Cath, I could go on and on about this one. As a scientific minded kind of person, my first response to most things are to question. I LOVE astronomy and always think things can be figured out mathematically or in some way.

I was questioning my Christian belief and then one day I decided to try a Church nearby for some answers. Turns out, the new series they were talking about was “Something To Believe In”. The Pastor has a degree in Anthropology, so he speaks my language.

The questions he asked were the same ones I had. Ones like, How could 2 of every animal fit into an ark? How could Adam and Eve populated our species? etc.

He explained that we have to understand that what’s written in the Bible is a description of what a Supernatural person or being did. Problem is, we are only natural beings – we cannot comprehend some of it. As proof our minds are limited, can you tell me when our universe began? At what point? Well, what was before that? And if space is forever, what’s beyond that? How is forever a reality? How can the universe work so perfectly in harmony all by random chance?

The way he explained it, the best way for people like me (and likely you) is to do research yourself and put together facts we know about. Like did you know the actual meaning behind the Hebrew word for “day” translates to a time period? (Earth created in 7 days). How could the Bible of been written by 39 separate authors spanning hundreds of years and yet nothing in it conflicts? Put two people in a room and I bet they can’t agree on anything. Why did Roman guards report to their superiors that they witnessed Jesus do miracles? Romans hated Jews.

Once you find certain truths for yourself and truly discover your beliefs, then you can take that leap of faith and believe what a Supernatural being is saying as to how He did everything and what happens later.

Also, like you said, there’s probably a reason (I’m sure of it) that we as humans don’t definitively know everything. Part of what makes us grow as humans is discovering things on our own. Imagine if every time your child needed something you provided all the answers for them immediately. How would they grow to something more?

Sorry, I’m babbling. I’ve just been in that “questioning” area before and I’ve passed it now. As far a reincarnation, I don’t know about that. No where do I see anything mentioned of something like that. I’m not sure where that all stems from? But then again, that’s just me.

John Hoff – WpBlogHost’s last blog post..Where’s John Been?

22. Andrew on June 19th, 2009 10:38 am

A very thought provoking discussion.

I love Lillie’s analogy and that’s exactly how I feel about god with respect to the issue of death and the afterlife.

I am not certain whether or not heaven is an actual physical location, but personally, I am absolutely certain that thanks to god’s amazing grace on the cross, that he has forgiven my sins and that I will be free to be in perfect relationship with him on the day that he chooses to call me home.

Andrew’s last blog post..America and climate change – messy action beats no action

23. cathlawson on June 19th, 2009 12:11 pm

Hi John – Don’t apologise. This is really useful info and you’ve just given us all a great way to learn more about it all. And that’s a really good point about the Roman Guards.

What I struggle with most, when it comes to the Bible is that some of it is so sexist. It’s difficult to believe that God is good, if he is really a MCP.

24. cathlawson on June 19th, 2009 12:15 pm

Hi Andrew – The forgiveness of sins is hard for me to get my head round. I know we have all committed sins on some level and Jesus died on the cross for those sins.

But does that mean that folk can go around murdering and stuff and still be forgiven no matter what they do? Or am I understanding it wrong?

25. Jim Gaudet on June 19th, 2009 2:01 pm

For me I don’t think about it. Its one of those things I know I will never know until I know and for that I just need to wait and see.

My last great adventure…

Jim Gaudet’s last blog post..New Google Webmaster Tools | What’s Up?

26. Avani on June 19th, 2009 2:44 pm

In each life time we do a lot of give and take with other souls. If the give/take balance is incorrect, then we also get an opportunity to set it right (karma).

Heaven and hell are both here, they exist within us and our lives. I don’t think there are literal places for both of them. When we wrong someone, we have to take everything back to set karmic equation right (hell for us in that lifetime). When we do something good and get that back it becomes heaven for us.

God won’t put us through hell because we did something wrong – to punish us by torturing us doesn’t sound like God’s style.

Avani’s last blog post..Following My Heart

27. cathlawson on June 19th, 2009 4:25 pm

Hi Jim – I like how you call it an adventure.

Hi Avani – So if you were having a bad time in this life, it’s because we were paying back for wrong things we’d done in a past life. That theory is interesting too.

28. Marelisa on June 19th, 2009 7:11 pm

Ooooh, I see we’re tackling the big topics here today! I believe in reincarnation. You have to be careful with what you do in this life so that you don’t build up bad karma and have to pay for it in your future lives.

I also think that once you’ve learned all of the lessons you needed to learn in the earth realm you become part of “the whole” (sort of like a pool of souls) and it’s a feeling of complete safety and peace. Or maybe I just watch too much Star Trek, because I’m pretty sure that’s where I got the “pool of souls” from. Yep, apparently Star Trek is the basis for my religious believes. :-)

Marelisa’s last blog post..Free Ebook – “Step-by-Step Tutorial: Write, Publish and Market Your Ebook”

29. Kathy | Virtual Impax on June 19th, 2009 7:18 pm

Cathh –

SKIP buying the book by the minister who was in a car crash. (It’s more about his recovery than his time in the beyond.)

I bought that book hoping it would be similar to the book “Within Heaven’s Gate” by Rebecca Springer. It was first published in 1898 so the version I read wasn’t real “modern” but it had a real feeling of “truth” to it.

It’s been YEARS since I read it – and it was loaned to me by a client who found comfort in the book after her teen age son died in a boating accident.

Now I’m wondering – was it the book that I found so powerful – or this woman’s faith in the face of incredible adversity? Hmmmm…. I think I’ll pick up a copy of this book and read it again to see.

30. John Hoff - WpBlogHost on June 20th, 2009 12:43 am

@Marelisa – you’re a dork! ;)

John Hoff – WpBlogHost’s last blog post..Where’s John Been?

31. Avani on June 20th, 2009 3:05 am

Karma is a philosophy you will hear about a lot in India. I think most religions cover it in one form or other.

Either you are getting back what you gave OR you are living through tough times to learn something – that which will move you forward to become whole / god-like.

Avani’s last blog post..Following My Heart

32. cathlawson on June 20th, 2009 6:13 am

LOL Marelisa – I’ve been reading lots of different stuff about religion but you’re the only one so far who bases their religious beliefs on StarTrek.

A soul pool sounds believable but not easy to visualise – sort of like a giant bowl of people soup.

Hi Kathy – Thank you – I’ll give it a miss then and check out the other one – hopefully it is still in print if it’s that old.

Hi Avani – I like the idea that people live through tough times to learn something.

I’ve heard some people mention karma affecting you in the same life time and that version does not seem as plausible.

33. cathlawson on June 20th, 2009 6:32 am

Hi Dot – Sorry I took a while to come back to you. My reply needed a lot of thought.

It sounds like you are really struggling with life. And when you have a lot of problems one after the other, it’s easy to feel like your situation is hopeless. But it isn’t.

You say you love life, so you have to see a light at the end of the tunnel. But I don’t think you need a new body or personality to get there.

I might be wrong but it sounds like you don’t really feel in control of your life Dot. You mentioned all the prescription drugs you take in another post and you said some of them would not be necessary if you made lifestyle changes.

What’s stopping you from making those changes, or learning ways to cope better with the medical conditions you have?

34. Kelly@SHE-POWER on June 20th, 2009 9:32 am

My beliefs are very much with Mareilsa, but I have had faith in “more” my entire life even though I wasn’t raised with religion. However, I have had a number of experiences that have made me sure we don’t just stop existing when our physical body dies. Sometimes I wonder if the initial transition to death is what we expect to happen. I knew of a man who was brought back to life and he felt that he was burning up and going to hell while he was “dead”. The strange thing was he had made some terrible mistakes in his life and really did feel that he was a bad person, someone deserving of hell. After being brought back to life he made a vow to atone for his past sins and changed completely. he decided he’d been given a second chance, an opportunity to be a good person and he embraced it with everything he had. I have also heard another friend say he saw the bright light and felt like he was floating the three times his body died after a serious car accident. he took this to mean he was going to heaven, as he believed.

Makes you think, doesn’t it? What I don’t understand is why anyone argues over beliefs and religion. What do I care whether you think the same way as me? How does that help or hinder me exactly? I have my faith and I don’t need to justify it to anyone, nor they to me.

Interesting post.

Kel x

Kelly@SHE-POWER’s last blog post..Taking a Break

35. cathlawson on June 20th, 2009 10:29 am

Hi Kelly – The guy who felt the burning was really lucky. I’ve heard about near death experiences before but this is the first one about someone who felt like they were going to hell.

I can’t understand people who argue over religion and beliefs either, especially when they resort to violence and killing.

36. Natural on June 20th, 2009 11:22 am

well since i believe that the bible is a book given to man by god and he is the creator of life, he would know. the bible says the dead are not conscious of anything. to me, death is the opposite of life. what’s the point of being dead if you don’t die.

dead battery – it’s dead. gone. no longer works.
    kill a bug – it’s dead – except for roaches, those suckers live forever. lol

hi cath.

nope i dont worry about it much. the guess work has been taken out of it for me. i guess i assume if the afterlife and heaven are so great and everybody wants to go there, why not just kill yourself. why do people cry when people die if they are not dead. we don’t cry when people go on vacation because we know they are coming back, but when they die we know it’s permanent.

.02

Natural’s last blog post..Why Wait, Buy Now!

37. cathlawson on June 20th, 2009 12:10 pm

Valerie – you crack me up. Now this bit is interesting: “The Bible said the dead are not conscious of anything.” I can’t remember reading that bit but there’s lots of stuff in the Bible that I don’t understand.

Is “not conscious” the same as sleeping? I wonder if you just sleep in heaven then? And I wonder if you dream?

38. Mama Zen on June 20th, 2009 3:23 pm

I believe that there is something after death, but I really have no idea what!

39. cathlawson on June 20th, 2009 9:47 pm

Hi Mama Zen – I suppose many people are happy enough not to know all the details.

40. Liara Covert on June 21st, 2009 3:52 am

Cath, another view is that the soul is immortal and there is nor eason to worry about completing certain tasks before you die because you never again get the chance. As a person learns to move beyond the mindset of fear, then the focus is on the here and now and what you choose to do to enrich yourself and the lives of others is always meaningful.

41. wilhb81 on June 21st, 2009 6:56 am

Cath, sometimes, it’s a little bit hard to believe those things that we cannot see with our eyes. To me, everything is possible, including the life after life.

By the way, you can check out the ‘afterlife-knowledge’ website, as it explains the life after deaths in a very interesting way…

wilhb81′s last blog post..It is Urgent to Ensure Your Emergency Doors and Exits Signs Work All the Time!

42. Barbara Swafford on June 21st, 2009 8:15 am

Very thought provoking post. Having lost loved ones, I must say I want to believe there is a Heaven and that one day I’ll see them again. Even if that’s not true, it sure helps to deal with not having them in my life now.

Barbara Swafford’s last blog post..When The Conversation Moves Off Of Your Blog

43. cathlawson on June 22nd, 2009 3:42 am

Hi Liara – I like the idea that our soul is immortal. I’m guessing that the same would apply to the fear of not learning everything you’re supposed to right?

Hi Wilson – That is true. I guess we have to look beyond our own limited experience and believe that anything is possible.

I will check out that website thanks. http://www.near-death.com is also very good.

Hi Barbara – I know you were really young when your parents died and I’m glad that the thought of heaven comforts you.

44. Andrew on June 22nd, 2009 12:08 pm

You raise an extremely valid point, and according to my understanding of the bible, the fact that god forgives sins so freely through the death of Jesus on the cross does not give us any form of latitude whatsoever to commit murder or any other form of wrongful behavior.

Indeed, many parts of the New Testament make clear that yes, god does forgive all sins, including murder. Nevertheless, it is also clear, and this is a point which is well supported by New Testament scripture, that under no circumstances does god in any way consider murder or any form of reprehensible act to represent any form of acceptable behavior whatsoever.

My understanding is that yes, god forgives every single sin (past present and future) of every person who puts his or her faith in Jesus, but that does not give us any right to engage in any form of reprehensible conduct, even though we will be forgiven for such conduct.

I hope this makes some sense to you.

45. cathlawson on June 22nd, 2009 5:13 pm

LOL Andrew, I’ve been thinking about this quite a bit today and wondering if serial killers and folk who do other vile things go to heaven?

As you say, “God forgives every single sin of every person who puts his or her faith in Jesus.” But I’m guessing that unless they do some serious changing, folk who like to murder probably don’t have any faith in Jesus, so they won’t go to heaven.

But what about the ones who say that God told them to kill? If they truly believed that it was his voice calling to them – do you think they would be forgiven?

46. Lillie Ammann on June 22nd, 2009 7:25 pm

Andrew and Cath,

I believe that God forgives everyone who sincerely repents. Someone who commits murder can be forgiven and go to heaven. Moses and David both commited murder, yet God used them both for great things. However, they both repented and did not continue to commit murder.

All of us continue to sin throughout our lives. However, if we do not make changes and start to live more righteously, it doesn’t seem that our repentance is sincere. If we continue to live the same way we did before, we haven’t met the requirement for forgiveness because we haven’t truly repented.

Jesus told people, “Go and sin no more.” Forgiveness isn’t a license to keep sinning. It is a wiping away of our past mistakes and wrongs so we can live the way God wants us to in the future.

If we do terrible things, ask forgiveness, then go and do the same things again … that’s not repentance. That’s more like asking for a free pass to live our lives the way we want to.

Lillie Ammann’s last blog post..By: Bali News And Adsense tips | Do Follow Blog

47. Lillie Ammann on June 22nd, 2009 7:34 pm

About people who say God told them to kill or do some evil thing: that’s an interesting question. God looks at our hearts. Was the person evil or mentally ill?

I think there are some things that will remain mysteries to us, at least in this lifetime. God is so much wiser, bigger, more everything than we are that we can’t begin to understand Him.

Isaiah 55:8 — “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the LORD.

Lillie Ammann’s last blog post..By: Bali News And Adsense tips | Do Follow Blog