7 Enjoyable Ways To Spend Less Money

June 24, 2010

Being frugal doesn’t have to mean depriving yourself of the things you like. It’s easy to start saving now with these fun ways to spend less money.

1) Learn to cook properly. Cooking a good meal doesn’t have to be time consuming. You’ll eat out far less if you can cook better meals yourself.

2) Don’t drive a brand new car and replace your car less often. This is the ultimate money saver. If you spend $15,000 on a low mileage car, it will cost you $250 a month, if you keep it 5 years. A brand new $30,000 car will come to $1250 a month, if you keep it for 2 years. (These figures don’t even take into account fuel, maintenance, insurance etc)

3) Never pay rack rate for travel. It’s annoying when you go on a trip, only to get chatting to someone and find that they spent way less money than you, for the exact same vacation. Become travel savvy and use sites like www.kayak.com and www.priceline.com to find deals on flights and hotels.

4) Avoid unnecessary journeys. Before you make a trip, think about what else you might need and don’t forget to ask everyone else in the house. Too much time and fuel can be wasted driving back and forth for things like milk, or stamps when everything could have been done in one go.

5) Replace your needs, not your wants. A new TV, or piece of furniture might be nice but do you really need to replace the old one yet? Before you buy, ask yourself if you really need the item.

6) Get wardrobe savvy.
If your wardrobe is full of items you barely wear, you need to change your shopping habits. Learn to buy clothing that will go with pieces you’ve already got. And when you’re choosing basics that won’t go out of fashion, buy the ones that were made to last.

7) Don’t pay to be advertised at. Try to cut out buying glossy magazines. They’re full of features mentioning must have products but the fashion and beauty industry bribe magazine staff with free products and samples. If you must read them, save money by buying one and trading with friends, or reading them in the library.

Are you frugal. Do you know of other enjoyable ways to spend less money?

Related Reading On This Site

Are You Wasting Your Most Valuable Asset?
You Can Make Money Writing About Shit
Sleazy Sales & Why Your Neighbours Make You Poor
How To Make Money From Nothing

Related Reading on Other Sites

Six Thrifty Uses For A Lemon
10 Smartest Ways To Live Beneath Your Means
Should You Let People Know How Well You’re Doing Financially?
Staying Off The Car Payment Treadmill
Money Saving Expert – Thousands of tips and ideas on ways to spend less money.

Comments

19 Responses to “7 Enjoyable Ways To Spend Less Money”

1. Kelvin Kao on June 24th, 2010 10:14 am

Yeah, I agree. Also, there are actually some cheaper brands offering the most basic models new at (or below) $15,000. On the other hand, some used cars actually cost more than that. I guess it has to do with your financial situation and needs as well.

2. Cath Lawson on June 24th, 2010 11:15 am

Hi Kelvin – I noticed that and you can often get 0% finance on them too. I just used the higher price as an example. I guess it would depend whether you had the cash saved or you needed to get finance.

If you can save the cash – ebay is a good place to get a great deal. I got an awesome car on there for far less than I would have paid in a garage. But if I didn’t have kids and I lived in a big city, I would just rent a car when I needed one.

3. Miss Thrifty on June 24th, 2010 2:45 pm

I agree with you about the glossy magazines: not only are they filled with expensive “must-haves”, but the magazines themselves are pretty pricey too…

Thanks too for the link to my post about the lemons!

4. vered | blogger for hire on June 24th, 2010 3:12 pm

My favorite is learning to cook, which is also better for your health!

5. Melissa Donovan on June 24th, 2010 8:09 pm

I’m totally on board with all of these! When I do spend money on “wants” rather than “needs,” I also try to invest wisely and choose things that will not sit in a closet somewhere. I like to buy stuff that I’m going to use and enjoy :)

6. cathlawson on June 24th, 2010 9:44 pm

Hi Miss Thrifty – Some of them are getting ridiculously expensive. I was addicted to them at one point – such a waste. You are welcome for the link. I love the lemons post and I’ve been enjoying some of the other posts on your blog too – you have great info.

7. cathlawson on June 24th, 2010 9:46 pm

Hi Vered – It’s one of mine too. Fresh ingredients are much better for you than all that pre-made crap. Thank you very much for tweeting my post BTW. I really appreciate it.

8. cathlawson on June 24th, 2010 9:50 pm

Hi Melissa – That is a smart way to buy things. I sometimes buy quite expensive clothes but I make my choice based on a cost per wear basis.

9. Tracy on June 25th, 2010 2:53 am

Hi Cath! I got a job so not only am I earning more money, I’m too busy to spend it. Double win!

10. MONEY : 7 Enjoyable Ways To Spend Less Money – Catherine Lawson « Tech4buziness – Eng on June 25th, 2010 6:27 am

[...] 7) Don’t pay to be advertised at. Try to cut out buying glossy magazines. They’re full of features mentioning must have products but the fashion and beauty industry bribe magazine staff with free products and samples. Don’t pay full price for them – they wouldn’t. via cathlawson.com [...]

11. cathlawson on June 25th, 2010 3:38 pm

That is brilliant Tracy – congratulations on the job.

12. Stephanie - Home with the Kids on June 25th, 2010 4:47 pm

I love the cooking bit, but then I mostly cook from scratch here anyhow. And I’ve long wondered why people buy most magazines, considering the cost and sheer volume of ads. To think people complain about websites having too many ads. Aside from flashing ads and ones that interfere with browsing a site, most websites have a ways to go before they display as many ads as magazines people pay to read.

13. Patricia on June 25th, 2010 5:25 pm

what a good list of helpful hints. It is not that we don’t eat french fries, but by cooking them our selves when we want to eat them, we don’t eat them very often – they are a lot of work and a lot of fat and you see how much you pay for a wee potato……we also have found that we like baked sweet potato rounds better than fries.

The glossy magazines also waste trees and the ink if extremely toxic to the environment.

I wish I were a more savvy traveler.

14. Hilary on June 26th, 2010 7:23 am

Hi Cath – how sensible .. seven really pertinent ways of saving some pennies .. bath together, wear a jumper before putting the heating on, have a good walk – so you can avoid pills and potions for .. for example colds etc ..

We definitely don’t need so many things – life is full of clutter .. have a good weekend .. now we have some summer weather – and hope it’s good up there too ..

With thoughts – Hilary

15. Barbara Swafford on June 26th, 2010 9:36 am

These are all excellent money saving tips, and many of which I use, including cooking at home, which I enjoy, being efficient when I’m running errands and not buying the glossy magazines.

The part about clothing reminds me of the 80/20 rule. I don’t know about anyone else, but I consistently find myself wearing 20% of the clothes in my closet, and the other 80% are rarely worn. Sounds like it’s time to clean out the closet, again.

16. cathlawson on June 29th, 2010 4:46 am

Hi Stephanie – That is a good point – few websites carry anywhere near the amount of ads magazines do. And websites are supposed to disclose it on the page if they stand to make any financial gain from products they recommend. Yet they don’t make the magazines tell folk that the products they’re recommended were things they were given for free.

17. cathlawson on June 29th, 2010 4:49 am

LOL – Patricia – “I wish I were a more savvy traveler”. As I read your comment, I was working on something which should help you a lot. Now I’m going to look up baked sweet potato rounds. We have different foods and alternative names for them here.

18. cathlawson on June 29th, 2010 5:09 am

Hi Hilary – Those are great tips. It annoys me when folk jack the heating up cos they’re cold, yet they’re only wearing a t-shirt. We eventually got some summer weather but it was back to rain again yesterday – hopefully it will clear the sky and let the sun back through.

19. cathlawson on June 29th, 2010 5:12 am

Hi Barbara – I never thought about the 80/20 rule when it comes to clothing but it’s a good point. I guess a lot of us feel more comfortable wearing the same old items. I’m also clearing out my closet but I’m going to try recycling some of the items, as I love some of the materials but I’m tired of the style.