Shoply – A New Place To Sell Your Stuff Online

July 11, 2010

Want a free place to sell your stuff online? Shoply is a new online e-commerce solution, which enables you to set up shop for free.

I’ve checked out Shoply’s offerings and I like the fact that you can start to sell your stuff online for free, without any technical skills. Set up is fast – Shoply Claim that you can be up and running in only 2 minutes. And when you add new stuff to your online store, Shoply make it simple for you to announce it on the major social networks.

Commissions seem reasonable, ranging from 3% to 6%. And although you call only sell 10 different items in your free store, you can upgrade to a paid plan as you expand.

The main downside I can see is that with a free store, you have to pay a basket fee of $1.99 on top of the commission fee. So if you sell particularly low cost items, Shoply might not be the best place to sell your stuff online.

* Update – Great news for sellers of small items – Shoply will be scrapping their basket fee and the changes will be reflected on their site over the next few days.

Do you sell your stuff online, or are you considering setting up shop? Do you use the services of places like Shoply, Etsy, Ebay and Amazon Marketplace?

Comments

13 Responses to “Shoply – A New Place To Sell Your Stuff Online”

1. Firm Body Sculpting System on July 11th, 2010 9:21 am

I wonder if they give some kind of bulk discount. For those smaller items I think it would be a fair trade if they didn’t charge the 1.99 on repeat customers or something similar.

2. Liad on July 11th, 2010 10:09 am

Thanks for covering us on your site.

We’ve only been live a month and are still testing things out but we have decided to completely scrap the basket fee. This will be reflected on the site when we push the next version live this week.

Best

LIAD

3. cathlawson on July 11th, 2010 11:54 am

Hi Body Sculpting System – Good news – Shoply are scrapping the basket fee altogether.

Hi Liad – You’re welcome. Your new site looks great and I know it will appeal to some of my readers.

I’ve updated the post so folk know you’re scrapping the basket fee.

4. Tweets that mention Shoply - A New Place To Sell Your Stuff Online | Catherine Lawson -- Topsy.com on July 11th, 2010 6:55 pm

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Esha Williams. Esha Williams said: Shoply – A New Place To Sell Your Stuff Online | Catherine Lawson http://bit.ly/9A0VLS [...]

5. vered | blogger for hire on July 11th, 2010 9:14 pm

Someone I know sues eBay almost daily. I’ll forward this to her.

6. Cath Lawson on July 11th, 2010 10:24 pm

Hi Vered – Thanks. It looks like this might be a good service for unhappy ebay sellers.

7. Hilary on July 12th, 2010 11:33 am

Hi Cath .. interesting to have your review .. and to read the comments ..

I don’t use ebay or any of the others .. I have bought odd things from ebay – postcards of some pictures of old Newlyn and Penzance – as my mother could see the pictures of the places as they were – before she was born, but together we could see the changes.

To me it’s a hassle .. but I know people have made a good living out of it ..

Thanks – interesting information and post .. have a great week – Hilary

8. cathlawson on July 12th, 2010 2:45 pm

Hi Hilary – The biggest hassle with selling on ebay is when you get the fraudulent bidders, or the ones who win then insist they didn’t bid at all, even though they won. Selling through a store avoids a lot of that.

Also it can be quite a pain packing up all the stuff and taking it to the post office. I sold books on Amazon Marketplace a few years ago and looking back it would have been easier to sell fewer, more expensive items.

9. Rose on July 19th, 2010 9:29 pm

Looks interesting. I wouldn’t how it will stand up against larger sites like Ebay, Kiji, and Craig’s list?

10. cathlawson on July 19th, 2010 9:50 pm

Hi Rose – I guess that’s what plenty of people will be wondering. I’m guessing it may appeal to folk who want to get started easily, but we’ll have to wait and see if Shoply can take customers from the well known brands.

11. Angela@List of Sites Like Etsy on July 21st, 2010 12:29 pm

I think there’s certainly a lot to be said for listing your products on as many shops as you can, then comparing the results.

Each one has different marketing plans – and different audiences. You can’t pre-judge where your products will sell best, so it’s good to try them all, then concentrate your efforts in the product lines that do well on each.

More work, but you might be missing out on tons of sales if you limit yourself to just one site.

12. cathlawson on July 21st, 2010 2:37 pm

Hi Angela – That sounds like a smart idea. And if most of the sites are free, or low cost to join, it’s worth doing the extra work and testing different sites.

13. How I Made My Knowledge Sell & You Can Too | Catherine Lawson on July 30th, 2010 11:53 pm

[...] Great Resources To Unleash The Entrepreneur Within You Is Your Knowledge Really Worth That Much? Shoply – A New Place to Sell Your Stuff Online Dear Blogger – Are You Trying To Sell To The Faithless? Share and [...]