What Sort Of Freelance Writer Are You?

August 25, 2008

A huge number of freelance writers visit this website. In fact, the most visited article, over the last few months was 43 Amazing Resources For Writers.

It’s a useful resource but one reader did mention that although they like it, it’s slightly biased towards fiction writers. I can understand why he might feel like that. And I don’t know how other non-fiction writers feel but I’ve always found that creative fiction exercises and tools can improve your non-fiction writing too.

Plus, it’s nice to explore writing in many different genres. Nowadays, I spend a lot of time writing fiction and non-fiction. And over the last few years, I’ve also spent a lot of time writing marketing letters. In fact, for a long time, I just didn’t have the time to write anything else. But, even something as dull as marketing letters can be fun to write, if you expand your mind with some fiction exercises.

As well as expanding your creativity, fiction exercises can also help you to come up with solutions to real life problems. And if someone’s pissed you off, you can have a whole heap of fun writing them into not so pleasant situations.

Don’t underestimate the pleasure you can derive from leaving your jerk boss dangling from a suspension bridge for 45 minutes. And if your ex is a self centred, cheating prick, consider the smile it will bring to your face when a trailer full of manure falls onto his brand new porsche, right after he’s caught his girlfriend in bed with his female boss.

And if you’re skint - which is probably often, if you’re a writer - you can write meaningful poetry and stories to give to your relatives for birthday presents. It doesn’t matter what genre you write in.

Fair enough, if you like writing Westerns, your mother in law might not love the idea of being told to: “Save part of yore breath for breathin’.” But it’s the thought that counts. And when you’re rich and famous, she can always sell it.

What kind of writing do you enjoy? Have you ever explored other genres? Do you have any favorite creativity tools or exercises that you like to use?

43 Amazing Resources For Writers

How To Be A Successful and Outstanding Blogger
Is Guest Writing A Good Way To Market Your Business?
Fab Quotes

Comments

51 Responses to “What Sort Of Freelance Writer Are You?”

1. Vered on August 25th, 2008 3:23 am

Ha. I said it before… unlike many of you, I don’t consider myself a writer. I guess I’m a thinker. I have all these ideas and thoughts that I enjoy sharing. My writing isn’t bad, but it’s not my main focus.

Vered’s last blog post..Aging: May I Please Get Off This Path Now?

2. John Hoff - eVentureBiz on August 25th, 2008 4:39 am

I’m with Vered on this. I’m definitely not a writer - just someone who authors a blog. I don’t freelance write or write novels, stories, or anything else (well, maybe a short story or two).

My main tool is my . . . brain LOL. It seems I read a lot of freelance writer’s blogs and I observe how they write, what they do, how they punctuate and 6 years of college helped!

Which brings me to a question for all you freelance writers out there.

In college, I was always taught that proper (American) punctuation for using quotes with a comma, question mark, period, etc. at the end of a sentence was to put those inside the quotes.

For example:

There is a guy at my school that said, “All objects fall at the same rate.”

(notice the period is inside the quotes)

but then I see many people put it outside the quotes, like this:

“….. the same rate”.

It is my understanding that outside the quotes is English/European whereas inside is American.

Any insights?

Thanks.

John Hoff - eVentureBiz’s last blog post..Securing Your WordPress Blog: Post 2 - How To Change Your Username

3. cathlawson on August 25th, 2008 4:57 am

Hi Vered - That’s what I love about this blog - people always say the things I’m least expecting. Are you saying you didn’t do any writing at all before you began blogging? I would never have guessed - you write really well.

I know you get many of your thoughts from things you see around you - especially adverts and pictures. What other things do you do to stimulate your thoughts?

Hi John - that’s two of you in a row who write a lot and say you’re not writers.

It looks like what you learned in college is the same way as we punctuate in the UK. Mind you, I can’t speak for the whole of Europe.

4. Kelly@SHE-POWER on August 25th, 2008 5:05 am

@John
    I’m a writer and a trained ESL teacher and with UK english like we use in Australia you would write the following:

There is a guy at my school that said, “All objects fall at the same rate.”

because generally your punctuation should go within quotation marks.

But here we would change it.

I love that movie, “Six Million Dollar Baby”.

because the marks are not to show speech and the end of a sentence. They’re to highlight the name of something.

Does that make sense?

@Cath
    My great love in writing is fiction. I write short stories, have completed two drafts of a novel and have written two screenplay shorts.

Work wise, I have always written copy and business materials - mostly ads, brochures and some websites - but I only do it for money. I don’t hate copy writing because it is very creative compared to say straight journalism, but I guess I’m sick of using my promotional brain. I want to embrace more of the artist within. I’m still working out how to do that on a monetary level.

I’d love to be a creative coach and mentor other writers as I am really good at story structure, have tonnes of knowledge about the writing process and writing exercises and I’m a great teacher. But I have a confidence issue because I haven’t tried to get something published yet and I only finished my Masters in Creative Writing to Graduate Diploma level (it was not worth the huge costs).

I’m thinking about doing some writing posts on my blog, but I’m not sure they fit with my audience. Vered wants me to talk about my novel writing process. Some food for thought…

Kelly :)
    Kelly@SHE-POWER’s last blog post..An Extract From My Novel, ?Running With The Dead?

5. cathlawson on August 25th, 2008 5:32 am

Hi Kelly - I was just reading the extract from your novel and I am v impressed that you’re on your third draft already.

Your copywriting skills will come in useful when you want to promote your novel on your blog.

A lot of writers seem to teach writing to supplement their income. The two tutors on the course I took in April seemed to do a lot of teaching. One of them was a tutor on an MA course and the other taught in prisons, schools etc.

You really should start sending out some work and try to get it published - especially your novel. I think rejection is a tough thing for writers to deal with - but they’ve all had to put up with it.

Apparently, Stephen King submitted a novel to his agent or publisher in another name and they rejected it, so it’s not always about how good your writing is.

I think a lot of people are turning to self publishing now. Folk used to advise against it but that’s changed a lot over recent years.

I’m glad you mentioned the MA. Some people rave about them and I thought about doing it but as you said, it’s so expensive.

Talking about the novel writing process on your blog might be a good idea. Lots of your visitors seem to write, so it would probably attract a lot of interest.

6. Davina on August 25th, 2008 5:37 am

I prefer to base my writing on the truth. Although in public school my best girlfriend and I got on a romance novel writing kick. We had a blast!

Davina’s last blog post..My Turn To Be Seen

7. cathlawson on August 25th, 2008 5:39 am

Hi Davina - So you like writing non-fiction best. Would you ever have a go at another romance novel?

8. Annie Anderson on August 25th, 2008 6:13 am

Hi Cath -

I write whatever comes to mind, whether it be fiction, non-fiction or otherwise. Professionally, though, I do a lot of copywriting and ghostwriting projects.

I don’t really have any favorite tools or exercises but sometimes I use a mind mapping process and other times I create more of a traditional style outline. It depends on the project, I guess.

@Kelly - that’s exactly the way I learned the use of quotations as well, and I’m using US English.

~ Annie

Annie Anderson’s last blog post..This week’s around the web

9. cathlawson on August 25th, 2008 6:49 am

Hi Annie - So you like both? I love mindmapping. It’s great for solving problems and coming up with new ideas isn’t it?

It sounds like the UK, the USA and Australia all use the same punctuation rules. I’m guessing that what John saw was someone using punctuation to highlight something, as Kelly explained.

10. Annie Anderson on August 25th, 2008 6:55 am

Cath -

I love mindmapping too! I use outlines mostly when it’s something I’m going to be giving to someone else or when it will become part of the project - I’m always worried people won’t be able to follow my mind maps. LOL ;-)

You’re probably right about the punctuation thing. That’s my guess too.

~ Annie

Annie Anderson’s last blog post..This week’s around the web

11. Scott McIntyre on August 25th, 2008 7:37 am

That’s a great link to the writing resources, Cath. Thank you.

I quite like writing poetry- as well as fiction. I love the whole process of creating sounds and beats with words.

Lately, I’ve not been doing this as much as I’d like. Hopefully, I’ll really be able to give it the attention it deserves.

12. cathlawson on August 25th, 2008 8:25 am

Hi Annie - I know where you’re coming from. I struggle to read my own handwriting sometimes. In the past, I’ve seen a member of staff ask me what something is meant to say and I’ve not been able to tell them.

13. cathlawson on August 25th, 2008 8:34 am

Hi Scott - you’re welcome. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have.

I like the way you describe your poetry. I think you’d really be able to identify with what Robin says in this article: http://letsliveforever.net/2008/08/letting-creativity-just-slip-in/

14. Alex Fayle on August 25th, 2008 9:12 am

My freelance work is very creative (writing scripts for a home-organizing site). My other income generating stuff is creative as well (using personal stories to help get rid of somedays), plus then I have my fiction writing.

I have no interest whatsoever in technical writing and I’m discovering not much interest in marketing writing.

In my fiction I tend to write YA fantasy, and literary (sometimes erotic) short stories. I haven’t explored much beyond those two genres but at some point I might explore mystery writing or science fiction.

Cheers,
    Alex

Alex Fayle’s last blog post..My Summer Someday List

15. cathlawson on August 25th, 2008 9:22 am

Hi Alex - it sounds like you write in a wide variety of genres. Do you use any creative tools or exercises, or do you find it easier to just sit down and write?

16. Alex Fayle on August 25th, 2008 9:27 am

I’m a big fan of outlines. In university I would outline my essays down to a title for the paragraph then write it in whatever order I felt like.

I’ve found that translates really well in all areas of writing, except when I wrote my novel (currently in the submission to agents process), I wrote it linearly.

I used to do timed exercises with a writing group but I actually found the writing group stifling instead of supportive, so I tend to write on my own and get encouragement and workshops from Forward Motion Writers: http://www.fmwriters.com - a great site!

Alex Fayle’s last blog post..My Summer Someday List

17. Monika Mundell on August 25th, 2008 10:05 am

I never wrote fiction and while I love the read a good book, I don’t particularly feel the pull to write fiction. My writing is based on my experience and knowledge. I feel secure in writing about things I know and if I don’t know them and have to write for a client, I expand my knowledge base by doing excellent research.

Technical writing is also not my thing because it is too complicated for a non geek like me. Not to say I don’t like geeky toys though. :-) Plus I have dabbled in poems a bit just for fun.

I do enjoy writing for Internet marketing and SEO as well. It is a great challenge to learn how to rank well on search engines and help clients climb the ladder to earn more income. I think I have that aspect of writing down pat without trying to brag. I guess it is a by-product of all the months of working for niche marketers.

Other than that, I also enjoy writing on blogs and articles. What I love about my business is the wide range of topics I’m able to write about. This has helped me to expand my knowledge base.

Monika Mundell’s last blog post..The Dark Side Of Writing

18. cathlawson on August 25th, 2008 10:29 am

Hi Monika - it sounds like you really love the type of writing that you do. It must be really rewarding to have your clients rank well on search engines. I’ve been reading quite a bit of negative stuff on SEO recently.

A lot of people who don’t know much about it assume it’s going to spoil their writing. If only they would understand that with a bit of knowledge, they might only have to do something as simple as change one word in a phrase they’ve used.

I must say, I’m turned off by technical writing too. I believe some folk make a lot of cash from it but it has never really appealed to me at all.

19. cathlawson on August 25th, 2008 10:34 am

Hi Alex - I write essays the same way you do. If I didn’t I would go way off track. Timed writing can be ok sometimes but when I have ten minutes and I’m really not sure what to write, I feel so pressurised.

Thanks for that link by the way. I recall visiting that site years ago but I guess it died with the favourites list of an old computer.

20. Brad Shorr on August 25th, 2008 11:31 am

Hi Cath, Hey, thanks for working my cowboy quote into your post! I’m a business copywriter and I especially enjoy taking complex business ideas and translating them into plain English. One of the main reasons I started blogging was to practice writing and explore different styles, and I think it’s sharpened my skills tremendously.

Brad Shorr’s last blog post..Timing Is Everything for Your Blogging Style

21. Robin on August 25th, 2008 12:25 pm

Hi Cath - my strength has always been explaining things - that’s why I went into teaching, I suppose. When I was about 7, I wrote a book “How to knit and sew”, which Mum kept. It had drawings of the knitting needles and wool, and step-by-step instructions. So my writing has always been to teach or explain something.

Now with my blog I’m enjoying writing different kinds of things for the first time.

My favorite creativity exercise is going for a walk around the block, every time.

Robin’s last blog post..On Overcoming Obstacles

22. Ian Denny on August 25th, 2008 12:26 pm

I must admit that I’ve never been drawn to writing for anything other than business purposes (sales letter/web/brochure copy).

I’ve written a personal blog on some business experiences, but have never been drawn to fiction. It seems like hard work!

P.S. Where’s the section on your blog of recent posts gone from the home page? Was going to dig through and catch up after a holiday but can only see when I click “comments” and it then appears.

Ian Denny’s last blog post..Celebrate The End Of The Credit Crunch And Get A Free Laptop For Your Business - No Catch

23. cathlawson on August 25th, 2008 12:28 pm

Hi Brad - you’re welcome. I was greedy and used one in this post also: http://cathlawson.com/blog/2008/08/23/vered-you-made-me-cringe/

I love those cowboy quotes.

And people who translate things into plain English are far more useful than those who turn something simple into a complicated load of waffle.

Starting a blog where you could explore different styles was a good idea. It’s a great way to experiment. I like the things you do on there.

24. Lance on August 25th, 2008 12:28 pm

Good morning Cath - I am enjoying a good cup of coffee as I read this!

I’ve never delved into the world of fiction writing. Nor do I consider myself a writer, per se. But that doesn’t mean I don’t aspire to these things. Really, I do. I’m not there yet.

It’s a learning process for me, but one I enjoy immensely. Where will this take me? I don’t know, but I do know that I am enjoying the ride!

I enjoy reading non-fiction, primarily. Although a good suspense novel is hard to put down!

Lance’s last blog post..Sunday Thought For The Day

25. cathlawson on August 25th, 2008 12:37 pm

Hi Robin - That’s brilliant that you made something like that when you were so young. Now I understand how you’ve managed to write so many books.

Hi Ian - writing something different can be fun. Do you remember when you wrote that left handed post? That was excellent and not the same as the stuff you usually write.

Sorry - I moved it. I thought most people weren’t arriving at the front page. And there is only one recent post widget in my theme editor. If you click the headline at the top of this article, it will take you to the other page.

Hi Lance - Enjoying the learning is the most fun isn’t it. The destination doesn’t matter nearly as much.

I can almost smell that coffee - my coffee slave has disappeared.

26. Al at 7P on August 25th, 2008 1:38 pm

Hi Cath - I like writing, but I love creating stories. I really (and I mean REALLY) appreciate that list of 43 writing references!

@Kelly - if you have writing posts on your blog, I’d definitely welcome it.

Al at 7P’s last blog post..Why Should I Help You?

27. cathlawson on August 25th, 2008 1:41 pm

Thanks Al - I’m glad you like them. I love the non-fiction writing you do. Will you be adding any of your stories to your blog too?

28. Monika Mundell on August 25th, 2008 2:43 pm

Thanks Cath,

Yes I do actually. You are right though, people make SEO writing sound more complicated and stilted than it really is. But with the unknown we often have this fear or even a dislike because we are not sure what exactly is involved.

In the end, it’s great to see all your comments here and the vast variety of writing enjoyed by your readers. Amazing and even better so because we can all learn from each other. How cool is that.

Monika Mundell’s last blog post..The Dark Side Of Writing

29. John Hoff - eVentureBiz on August 25th, 2008 3:57 pm

@ Cath & Monika - you’re right on about the SEO. SEO seems to be a bit of a mystery to some people and think anything SEO related means you have to sound robotic and not natural.

This is so not the case. It just means putting a link here and maybe flipping through your digital thesaurus once in a while.

@ Kelly - ah got it! Thanks. That makes perfect sense to me.

30. Annie Anderson on August 25th, 2008 4:08 pm

Hi Cath -

LOL - yeah, I struggle to read my own writing now and then too.

It’s funny about not being able to tell the staff what was meant. I’ve had that happen too.

Often times I just write without following anything. Mindmapping and outlines are used mostly for big projects or things that will take a lot of time.

I also have a notebook I keep ideas in - everything from one liner’s to snippets of overhead conversations to things I thought of in the middle of the night. The notebook is small and goes everywhere I go.

As for reading - I tend to read non-fiction mostly although I do enjoy a good novel once in a while. I’ll read nearly anything.

I mentioned earlier that I do a lot of copywriting and ghostwriting but I also write short stories and poetry. Some of them have even been published and won awards. But those are more personal things so I don’t share them very often.

~ Annie

Annie Anderson’s last blog post..This week’s around the web

31. Melissa Donovan on August 25th, 2008 7:10 pm

Writing fiction and poetry can definitely help improve other areas of writing. I think poetry exercises are especially useful because poets pay special attention to rhythm, alliteration, rhyme, etc. Bring some of these tricks into your copywriting and you can really dazzle your clients! And I couldn’t agree more about using fiction as a way to deal with frustrations. Very clever ;)
    Melissa Donovan’s last blog post..Slam Poetry’s Wonder Woman

32. cathlawson on August 25th, 2008 8:36 pm

Hi Monika - Good point, I guess it may well be to do with fear of the unknown.

There is a great variety isn’t there? Lots of people to learn from.

Hi John - it isn’t all that complicated is it? Mind you - I’ve been making an horrendous mistake lately. You know when you write a post and click the button to publish it in advance?

Well, I’ve been doing that, then changing the title for one with better keywords later. Trouble is - it’s changing the title, but the url is staying the same as it was before. Do you know if there’s a way to change it?

Hi Annie - writing stuff down is important isn’t it? However great it sounds at the time, it’s almost impossible to remember if it’s not written down.

That’s brilliant that you’ve had short stories and poetry published and won prizes. A lot of people say that it’s harder to get short stories published than any other type of writing.

Hi Melissa - I’m guessing that using those skills in copywriting would be impressive. I’ve done that with stories for a long time. I did get into trouble at school when I wrote a humorous story about my cookery teacher though - detention for a whole week.

33. Annie Anderson on August 25th, 2008 9:10 pm

Cath -

Ha! That’s the truth! I think of something cool to write or use for something or other and if I don’t capture it right away, it’s gone forever.

And - I finally got my gravatar enabled! ;-) Yay! But my theme on my blog apparently is not gravatar compatible. Bummer.

~ Annie

Annie Anderson’s last blog post..This week’s around the web

34. cathlawson on August 25th, 2008 9:23 pm

Annie - that’s a shame. I wonder if John Hoff, or Barbara S, or anyone else might know if there’s an easy solution to the problem?

35. Graham Strong on August 25th, 2008 9:26 pm

Yes, writing is writing, but I think there is a difference between the tools you use for fiction and for non-fiction writing, generally speaking. Just as someone training for the marathon would do things differently than someone training for the 200m butterfly — yes, it is all “exercise” but each exercise is designed to enhance a different area of muscles and muscle memory.

That being said, I love Stephen King’s On Writing (even though I can’t read his novels…) — any writer can take away some great tips there.

BTW - love your Western quote. Has it been tested on an actual mother-in-law? If you are looking for volunteers, let me know — I might be persuaded to help in the name of science…

~Graham

Graham Strong’s last blog post..Find and Replace - Update!

36. Annie Anderson on August 25th, 2008 9:33 pm

Hi Cath -

I don’t know. I have enabled it in my WP admin but no luck. I tried installing the WP Gravatar plugin (that John has listed in his list) and it crashed my hosts server! Yikes! That was not an hour of fun this morning. Luckily I was able to access via FTP and delete it and then all went back to normal.

So . . . I have concluded it’s simply not compatible with my theme. If anyone has any suggestions, I’m all ears.

~ Annie

Annie Anderson’s last blog post..This week’s around the web

37. John Hoff - eVentureBiz on August 25th, 2008 9:39 pm

@ Cath - I’ve done that to one of my posts as well. Unfortunately, I do not know how to change it. I looked online but couldn’t find anything, too. Sorry.

@ Annie - I had the hardest time getting gravatars to show on my blog. I did what everyone said to do but had no luck. Then I came across the Filosofo’s Wordpress Gravatar Plugin and it works like a charm! He coded his plugin a little differently so it might work on your template as it did mine.

38. Vered on August 25th, 2008 9:47 pm

A couple of years ago I wrote a few articles for a website that doesn’t exist anymore, but apart from that, I didn’t do any writing before I started blogging.

“What other things do you do to stimulate your thoughts?” - Oh, I don’t need any more stimulation. If anything, I need to learn to turn off my thoughts! Everything makes me think and wonder and ask questions.

It’s tiring, really.

Vered’s last blog post..Aging: May I Please Get Off This Path Now?

39. Annie Anderson on August 25th, 2008 9:51 pm

@John - I saw that one but after the fiasco with WPGravatar, I wasn’t sure I wanted to try it but maybe I will. Thanks for the recommendation.

@Vered - LOL! I can relate to that. My kids are always telling me I shouldn’t think so much. Sometimes I really would like to just turn it off.

~ Annie

Annie Anderson’s last blog post..This week’s around the web

40. Ellen Wilson on August 25th, 2008 9:52 pm

Hey Cath,

It’s 10:43 in the UK now so I don’t know if you’ll respond and I’ll get to see, but I popped back in to see your response to yesterday’s comment and I find you have no archives for me to check.

Well, I will answer this one, too. I write articles for print and online mags. I would like to get more into photojournalism and investigative journalism. I also write novels (working on my second, I’m almost done) and short stories.

My first loves are photography and fiction. I came into freelancing through the back door because I had written fiction and never nonfiction so I found nonfiction to be rather difficult to get my head around at first. I know somepeople feel exposed when they let others read their fiction, but I feel the opposite. I feel exposed with nonfiction.

I don’t have any specific tools I use, but I do like certain writing books: Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg and Stephen King’s on Writing are excellent.

Oh for sure if my husband ever cheated on me I would definitely have to kill him off. As a fictional character of course. And after I divorced him.

Ellen Wilson’s last blog post..Freelance Business Burnout

41. Barbara Swafford on August 25th, 2008 11:34 pm

I certainly don’t consider myself a freelance writer. In the past I did a lot of corporate correspondence, including speech writing for a V.P. (he was Japanese). I have always enjoyed writing letters and journaling. My blogs are my first attempt at online publishing.

Although I don’t have favorite writing resources, I do find reading is a big help.

Barbara Swafford’s last blog post..A.S.K. - Liz Strauss - How Do You Inspire Your Readers To Join Your Community

42. cathlawson on August 26th, 2008 12:30 am

Hi Graham - I think I sometimes get those tools muddled.

I wouldn’t dare test the Western quote but I’d love to be a fly on the wall when you do. I pinched it from Brad. If you click on the quote he’s got some excellent ones.

Hi Annie, Hope it works for you.

Hi Vered - I know what you mean. Sometimes working out complicated maths in your head can blog them out so you can get to sleep.

Hi Ellen - sorry - I moved them. They’re not on the front page before but if you click on any post, they’ll be in the right hand sidebar. I’m kind of regretting moving them - you’re the second person who’s asked today.

I love Writing Down the Bones too. You might also enjoy the Artists Way if you didn’t already try it.

I get what you mean about feeling exposed. I hate when you’ve got to read something out in a group. I write very rough first drafts in comparison to other people.

Hi Barbara - well I had to put that - do you know how much competition there is for “writer” on Google?

The speech writing sounds interesting. And reading definitely does help doesn’t it?

43. John Hoff - eVentureBiz on August 26th, 2008 12:36 am

Hey wait a second. It’s 5:30pm here on the West Coast of the United States. That means it’s wayyy past your bedtime Cath! LOL

Can’t sleep?

44. Annie Anderson on August 26th, 2008 7:17 am

@Cath - yeah me too! I don’t want to crash another server! LOL Highlight of my day.

And I agree with you the Artist’s Way. I love that book and the rest of the series, too. They’re some of my favorites. I also like On Writing Well by William Zissner.

@John - Can you give me a little info on the filosofo plugin? Like where to place the code he mentions on his blog? And *what* code you use for yours? I’m trying to get a grasp on this but coding is not my forte. (You can email me if you’d like. You should have my address on your comments.)

~ Annie

Annie Anderson’s last blog post..Baseball, pre-school orientation and concerts

45. Cath Lawson on August 26th, 2008 8:33 am

Hi John - I couldn’t sleep at all. There’s never enough hours in the day.

Hi Annie - On Writing Well is brilliant too isn’t it. I have the follow up to Artists Way but I haven’t got much of it done yet. I think it’s called The Sound Of Paper.

Cath Lawson’s last blog post..Blog Express, Zen & Millionaire Mommies

46. John Hoff - eVentureBiz on August 26th, 2008 1:56 pm

@ Annie - no problem. Email sent. :)

47. Al at 7P on August 27th, 2008 5:01 am

Hi Cath - regarding your question about adding fiction to my blog, I can’t really see that happening. However, there is the NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) in November and I might try to participate and submit there.

OK, I admitted to the public so I’m now committed :)
    Al at 7P’s last blog post..10 Tips for Immediate Productivity Results

48. cathlawson on August 27th, 2008 5:27 am

Hi Al. Heck - I think I’d find it easier to say the longer version than the abbreviation. It’s a bit of a gob full.

Entering that sounds like a good idea. And like you said - you’ve committed yourself now - so we’ll be expecting you to do it. Good luck.

49. What Is Your Responsibility As A Writer? | Catherine Lawson on August 28th, 2008 5:19 am

[...] Reading On This Site Are You Blogging Like A Barbie Doll What Sort Of Freelance Writer Are You? Quit The Internet Copyright Paranoia [?] Share [...]

50. 43 Amazing Resources For Writers on September 17th, 2008 4:46 am

[...] Is Your Responsibility As A Writer? What Sort Of Freelance Writer Are You? Do You Want To Make Millions? The Business Of Writing A Novel [?] Share [...]

51. 6 Killer Writing Tips on December 18th, 2008 8:42 am

[...] Read This Freelance Writers And Business Bullshit What Is Your Responsibility As A Writer? What Sort Of Freelance Writer Are You? 5 Business Writing Tips You Can Profit From 21 Amazing Business Writing Resources Do You Want To [...]