Internet Marketing: Are You Forgetting Something?

August 26, 2008

Do your Internet marketing efforts exhaust you? Like many other freelancers and small business owners, are you just too strapped for time and money to go out and look for more work? If so, maybe you’re forgetting to focus some of your Internet marketing efforts on your existing customers.

Make More Time

Lack of time is the enemy of most freelancers and small businesses. Often, when they’re busy, they won’t do any marketing at all. But when one or two major sources of work dry up, they panic.

Don’t let that happen to you. Make it a priority as early in your business as you can to free up your time as much as possible, so you can concentrate on marketing. Monika Mundell shares some great ideas on freeing up your time in this post: The Dark Side of Writing.

Make More Money From Your Existing Customer Base

Next, look at ways that you can make more money, or sales from the customers you already have. People who already know and trust you, are far more likely to buy more from you than complete strangers. And if you’re a freelancer, the trick is being able to sell the type of additional products, or services to your existing customers, that won’t cost you too many additional hours of your own time.

Believe me - this is possible and it’s worth it. In the past, I’ve been able to cut my customer base dramatically and make treble the amount of money from fewer customers. It really does make life far easier.

So, how do you come up with additional products or services that your existing customers may be interested in?

Listen To Customer Feedback

According to Akemi, feedback from the customers you have already is an important key. Akemi provides Akashic Record Readings. She is able to access your Akashic records and discover important information about your past lives, which may be affecting you now. She provides a wonderful service - I wrote about my soul reading experience here.

Trouble is, Akemi is the only person doing the technical work in the business - she doesn’t have others doing the soul readings for her. She has to go away and do the actual reading, then discuss her findings with her customer over the phone.

One day, after doing this, a customer asked Akemi if she would be able to provide a written report, as he would struggle to remember the results of his reading after the telephone consultation. So Akemi began providing this written report to all her customers.

It costs her little in additional time, as she has to write down her findings before speaking to the customer anyway. But she is able to charge an extra 21%. And an amazing 80% of her customers request this additional service, so she’s increased her overall profits by 16.8%.

Partner With Others Or Subcontract Work Out

Sometimes, partnering with others, or subcontracting work out, can enable you to offer additional services to your existing customers, without costing you too much additional time.

John Hoff runs EventureBiz, a webhosting and design business. And he knew many of his clients would benefit from incorporating their business. However, this can often be expensive. So a family member came on board to help him offer incorporation and living trust services to his existing clients.

Look at your business through the eyes of your customer. What other products or services might they need that you could offer them? Why not ask them?

Can you think of other ways you can increase your sales, without spending more time? Do you have any questions you’d like to ask? Or do you have a marketing challenge that you would like advice on?

Comments

23 Responses to “Internet Marketing: Are You Forgetting Something?”

1. cathlawson on August 26th, 2008 3:46 pm

Bonjour Rita

Oui je comprendes. Ce n’est pas le blog de chapeaux.

You’re not going to let me forget about those damn hats are you? So come on Rita - share some ideas. You live in the shopping capital of the world. You must have noticed things that shops and businesses do to get you to buy more.

2. Akemi - Yes to Me on August 26th, 2008 3:52 pm

Marketing is a challenge. My goal is that my Akashic Record Reading service will market itself, that the majority of new clients come through referrals and google search.

Thank you for the link love!

Akemi - Yes to Me’s last blog post..Review: The True Power Of Water By Masaru Emoto

3. cathlawson on August 26th, 2008 3:59 pm

Hi Akemi - Well you’re already on the front page of Google for Akashic record readings, from where I’m looking and I’ll still recommend you to plenty of people.

But you still need to market your business as much as you can. What if Google put you in the sandbox tomorrow? Lots of people don’t know what Akashic record readings are yet, so getting people to talk about them should be one of your goals.

You’re welcome for the link. I’m impressed by how easily you managed to increase your profits.

4. Barbara Ling, Virtual Coach on August 26th, 2008 4:13 pm

Smart ideas!

Another thing you can do is offer sponsorships for your newsletter (or simply write, Today’s sponsor is ….. and include your affiliate link. :)

Enjoy, Barbara

Barbara Ling, Virtual Coach’s last blog post..Today’s Thought to Share - Self Defense

5. cathlawson on August 26th, 2008 4:35 pm

Hi Barbara - that is another good idea. Thank you. I’m guessing if the sponsor didn’t have an affiliate program - you would charge them for sponsoring your newsletter right, but you wouldn’t if they did have one?

6. Ian Denny on August 26th, 2008 4:45 pm

Sorry Cath, I can’t resist a little pitch here for anyone in the UK (US coming soon). But feel free to delete this comment if you feel it’s off-topic or too salesy…

One of the barriers to talking to your customers is time. And as someone who has read Commonsense Direct Marketing, the art of the sales letter (i.e. without a brochure even) can work wonders - particularly with existing clients.

The problem is finding the time, the paper, the ink/toner, envelopes and stamps to get them in the post. Sending say 100 letters can take up a few hours of time to pop in the letterbox.

The service we’ve just launched allows you to click and post. The letter is produced at a production centre having been encrypted and securely sent over the net to a facility in Warrington.

It is printed, folded, packed into an envelope and posted - for an inclusive fee of 34-39p. So it saves money (all the print and paper costs) and saves you time.

More importantly it ensure you can get hundreds or even thousands of letters out within a few seconds without all the back-breaking envelope stuffing.

And if any of your UK readers want it installing, training and supported for a year, it’s a one-off cost £200. But if anyone mentions Cath Lawson I’ll knock off £25.

Here’s the link:

Ian Denny’s last blog post..Celebrate The End Of The Credit Crunch And Get A Free Laptop For Your Business - No Catch

7. cathlawson on August 26th, 2008 4:51 pm

Hi Ian - that’s a generous offer - thank you. I loved the idea of this service as soon as I read about it on your blog.

I don’t need it right now - but I’ll be ordering it when I do. As someone who has spent hours on end printing out letters, stuffing envelopes, then franking them all - I can really appreciate how much time this saves.

And I have a new gadget post coming up tomorrow, so I’ll tell folk about it in there too.

8. Akemi - Yes to Me on August 26th, 2008 5:21 pm

I see your point! Spreading the word “Akashic” is very important — whether that makes the sales immediately or not.

What is sandbox and how can I screw google to the point I get put down?

9. cathlawson on August 26th, 2008 5:30 pm

Hi Akemi - definitely spread the word Akashic, so folk know what it’s about. I already knew but a lot of folk don’t. The more people who know about it, the easier it is to sell it.

Also, think of variations people might use to find you. And what problems might lead them to want a reading. You should come up with lots of phrases, as a reading can help with so many problems.
    Use Google’s keyword tool to help you find phrases: https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

The sandbox is a bit of a mystery. Nobody knows if it really exists or why you get put in it. I have suspected one of my sites to be in it before.

I think John Chow is in it. If you Google him for his own name, his site doesn’t even appear on the front page anymore. I believe Google didn’t approve of his running competitions to get people to link to him etc.

10. Davina on August 26th, 2008 7:37 pm

Hi Cath. THANKS for sharing the info about Akemi’s Akashic Readings. I had just started blogging when you wrote that article in July and hadn’t found you yet. I’ve heard about the Akashic records so I was immediately interested.

There’s a lot going on behind the scenes of our lives and puzzling aspects of my being have been screaming at me for pretty much the last year. Oh, mommy make it stop! :-)

Glad to hear that you have received some positive results from your reading.

Davina’s last blog post..Does Misery Really Love Company?

11. Davina on August 26th, 2008 7:39 pm

Weird, I think my comment went into moderation again. Boo hoo. It all happened so fast I’m not sure. Will watch to see if it appears. If not… I’ll be back…

Davina’s last blog post..Does Misery Really Love Company?

12. cathlawson on August 26th, 2008 7:53 pm

Hi Rita - This is awesome info. I wish you provided jewellery in my area. I love how you have found a customer base that your competitors didn’t think of.

And the house calls are a brilliant idea. How could the friends resist - it would be like having QVC’s todays special value in your own home.

Asking people to invite friends is so important it needs emphasising. We need to create something that people will really really want to brag about to their friends.

I had no idea that the mark up on jewellery was so huge in a jewellery store. Now I’m beginning to question the value of my own rings.

As you said - 20% is still a good mark up . A lot of businesses don’t make anywhere near that much and as you said, your overhead is next to nothing.

I think the license here is really important Rita - as you said, it helps you establish trust, which you need to do when your prices are so low.

And I love your ideas on being creative - definitely think of days that other people aren’t thinking of. Hey - let me know when you have a green stones sale as that is my favourite stone.

Again - those hats. But I would really love to know all the history about them - that is me, but it’s interesting.

Thank you for all your input. I can’t believe you need a nap, but think of all these people you’re helping.

13. cathlawson on August 26th, 2008 8:23 pm

Thanks Rita - I don’t mind if anyone else on here wants to buy jewellery from you. Next time I want some I’ll definitely be getting it from you - but I have to say, those terms are rather mean - I am you friend.

Would love to know more about hats. Will go to Bruce and send address.

14. Ian Denny on August 26th, 2008 8:27 pm

@Rita:

I’ve bought about 6 items of jewellery in the last 20 years. One of them was an engagement ring. The other, a wedding ring.

The other 4 purchases were disastrous.

I’d love an online seller - like you - who I would trust. Mainly because I’m a bloke, based in the UK, and absolutely clueless when it comes to buying jewellery.

I love the idea of buying jewellery. But my attempts have receive a polite “thanks” with the body language saying “oh that’s nice that you tried, but you got it completely wrong”.

Where does a bloke learn how to buy jewellery? I wouldn’t trust a harrased jewellery shop assistant to give me advice. And I’m too embarassed face-to-face to come across as completely stupid as I am.

If you have a mailing list, please find me and add me to it. Happy to supply birthdays and anniversary dates if you do something like that to remind gormless males to remember to buy something.

Would give you at least one chance on pre-pay plus shipping. I’m more interested in the advice which would actually be easier for me over email than a trip across the Atlantic to deliver the face-to-face service you usually give which would frighten me as a confirmed jewellery-idiot!

Ian Denny’s last blog post..Turning Enquiries Into Sales

15. cathlawson on August 26th, 2008 8:33 pm

Hi Davina - I grabbed you out of there. The readings are absolutely brilliant. Your life will change after reading them - some of it is quite stressful, because it deals with damage to your soul. And you will feel as though you never had some of the weaknesses you had before - which is quite strange. But it is all very beneficial.

A few visitors to this site have tried it and they loved it too.

Don’t know what on earth Askimet is doing - it’s eaten Vered, Scott, Mike and many others.

Hi Ian - the trouble is - most men just don’t have any taste when it comes to jewellery. And most women are really specific about what they like. Ask Rita, I know she will help - here is her blog: http://bloggrrl.com

16. John Hoff - eVentureBiz on August 27th, 2008 3:22 am

@ Cath - Boy what a day I’ve had today (family health issues). But what a nice surprise I had when I finally came home, turned on my computer, and noticed a pingback. Wow, thanks.

Your article spells it out very nicely how we all need to NOT have tunnel vision. Look at your customer base and solve their problems.

@ Rita - I don’t think those are very good ideas you listed there . . . they were REMARKABLE ideas LOL ;)

My wife is starting a beaded jewelry business and I called her over to read your comment above. Excellent ideas. Thank you for taking the time to share those.

John Hoff - eVentureBiz’s last blog post..Securing Your WordPress Blog: Post 2 - How To Change Your Username

17. cathlawson on August 27th, 2008 4:09 am

Hi John - You’re welcome. You certainly looked at your customer base and solved their problems. I can remember you talking on here ages ago about folk who were struggling to incorporate their business, for a reasonable price. So, you must have given it a lot of thought before going ahead.

Rita’s info was brilliant wasn’t it. And it’s great that you can pass her ideas on to your wife.

18. Barbara Swafford on August 27th, 2008 8:09 am

Between your awesome post and the comments, I can’t think of anything to add.

What great ideas.

Barbara Swafford’s last blog post..Parties, Spam and Hanging Chads

19. Monika Mundell on August 27th, 2008 12:25 pm

Wow, talking about a conversation. You go girl! :-) Thank you for the link love. What a great question and how about those suggestions here. Soon enough you can act as an intermediate for jewelry and Akashic record reading.

Rita gave indeed some awesome killer ideas on marketing. Plus your own two cents was very valuable. In fact, this is working for me too. I do additional services for a few clients of mine and they have added to my base income tremendously.

In fact, one customer pays me more for the extra service I do than for my writing - go figure.

@ Rita: What’s the go with the hat talk? LOL, have you girls been chatting on Bruce now? Hehehehe…watch those French speaking ladies, they ARE very smug. Je ne pas parlez francaise. Mais oui, je ne mais plus and now I better shaddup. Hehehehe….

Monika Mundell’s last blog post..What Do You Think Of Spotters Fees?

20. cathlawson on August 27th, 2008 12:38 pm

Hi Barbara - Thank you. There was some great ideas in the discussion wasn’t there.

Hi Monika - you’re welcome. Hey that’s not a bad idea. I bet plenty of readers on here would like Akashic Record readings and discount price jewellery.

Rita’s ideas were fabulous weren’t they?

That is brilliant that you are actually getting more for an additional service than the writing - good for you. All the extra cash you make will free up your time a bit more to work on your niche sites.

The hat thing is because I was asking Rita why a lot of Jewish men at the airport in New York wore the great big massive hats instead of the little ones. But my interest in the hats has got a bit too much for her I think. She doesn’t know what it’s like to live in the sticks and not see these things.

21. 47 Brilliant Blog Marketing Resources on September 7th, 2008 5:47 am

[...] marketing, Susan Hauser shows you how to get started and get traffic to your website or blog. Internet Marketing: Are You Forgetting Something? More blog traffic isn’t always the answer. Don’t overlook these people when putting [...]

22. Viral Books And Other Things I Like on September 9th, 2008 5:33 pm

[...] Brilliant Blog Marketing Resources Why Viral Marketing May Not Work For You Internet Marketing - Are You Forgetting Something? [?] Share [...]

23. 47 Brilliant Blog Marketing Resources | Free Online Business Course on September 10th, 2008 4:02 am

[...] marketing, Susan Hauser shows you how to get started and get traffic to your website or blog. Internet Marketing: Are You Forgetting Something? More blog traffic isn’t always the answer. Don’t overlook these people when putting together [...]