Paint A Picture Of Your Perfect Day

September 2, 2008

I’ve mentioned planning your life and business backwards before. But what if you don’t know where to start? And what can you do if you have no idea what you want to do?

My husband was in that situation. So we fast forwarded ten years and began painting a picture of his perfect day. I asked him questions and he answered them. The detail he went into was amazing and he actually discovered a lot of things he would like that he hadn’t even thought about.

Why not try it yourself? Look ahead to an ordinary day, ten years down the line and describe what you’d like to see. We could all share the answers to these questions to get started:

What’s the first thing you see when you look out of the window in the morning:
The sea and the hills to the side of it.

Where do you go next - how do you get there? To the beach - I walk.

Do you go to work? What kind of work are you doing?
I work from home. My day is divided between working on my business and writing.

Why not have a go at answering the questions in the comments section? And if you don’t like these ones, have a go at coming up with some different ones instead.

And when you’re done - you might want to continue planning your perfect day in the future on your own.

Image Credit: Michael Scheltgen

Further Resources For Planning Your Perfect Future

On This Site

Is This The Ultimate Entrepreneurial Dream?
20 Ways To Fuel Your Imagination And Come Up With Great Ideas

On Other Sites

68 Seconds Of Pure Thought: Visualise In 4 Creative Ways
Magic Happens
Creating Your Dream Life: Practical Intuition

Comments

22 Responses to “Paint A Picture Of Your Perfect Day”

1. Leanne Magraith | Forever Change on September 2nd, 2008 4:27 am

Cath - you stole my first two answers! ;) I suspect we are not the only two in the world who would answer the first two questions in much the same way…

3 rd question Do you go to work? What kind of work are you doing? - I work mainly from home using the internet and also visit some clients in their homes. I am working in my weight loss business helping hundreds of women to change their attitudes, thoughts, beliefs, and lifestyles and make lasting changes in their lives.

extra question: Are you enjoying your life? - You bet I am!

Leanne Magraith | Forever Change’s last blog post..Theory Can Work In Real Life

2. cathlawson on September 2nd, 2008 4:38 am

Hi Leanne - I forgot that I’d set this post to publish for this morning. And I hadn’t even added a picture yet.

I’m betting you’re right. Lots of folk would like to be living by the sea and the mountains.

And I’m wondering how many people will also be working from home? You put that you’d also go out and visit people. That’s good, cos it also gets you out of the house.

Your last question is a good one. I hope others will answer it too.

3. Davina on September 2nd, 2008 5:25 am

What’s the first thing you see when you look out of the window in the morning? Beautiful lush green trees.

Where do you go next? How do you get there? I wanna walk to the beach! But alas, I walk to the bathroom. Sorry, that’s all I got for this one :-)

Do you go to work? What kind of work are you doing? I work from home building my coaching and writing business.

Thinking about my perfect day in the future gets me all choked up! I wake and stroll to the deck off my beautiful log cabin overlooking a lake with mountains in the background.

Then I probably go to the bathroom :-) Some habits are hard to break.

Then my loving husband brings me a cup of coffee and we just sit for a while. Later after breakfast, I meet with my first coaching appt in my home office.

Davina’s last blog post..Swinging Full Circle?That’s Life

4. cathlawson on September 2nd, 2008 5:45 am

LOL Davina, I guess I should have said “after you’ve been to the bathroom”.

You’ve got a lot of detail in there. It looks like you don’t have much trouble visualising at all - I can picture your log cabin myself. And it’s great that you can even see the small details, like that all important cup of coffee.

By the way, I thought you’d gone - did you take your laptop with you?

5. Vered on September 2nd, 2008 6:00 am

If 10 years from now I am in exactly the same place and doing exactly what I’m doing now, surrounded by my family and we are all healthy, I would be very happy.

I don’t know if that’s a good thing (because it means I’m happy with my life right now) or a bad thing (because I don’t really have a long-term goal).

Vered’s last blog post..Will You Tell Me A Little Bit About Yourself?

6. cathlawson on September 2nd, 2008 6:20 am

Hi Vered - I guess it’s a good thing in many ways, because you’re already at the place you want to be. And it doesn’t matter if you don’t have a long term goal yet - you’ve got plenty of time to create one.

7. Jamie Harrop on September 2nd, 2008 6:27 am

Hey Cath,

What a fantastic idea. I think I’m going to answer this question over on my blog (expect link love), but I’ll answer the three questions you set here.

What’s the first thing you see when you look out of the window in the morning:

Early morning surfers on a medium surf. Sun rising. Surfers quietly welcoming the new day in their own special way.

Where do you go next - how do you get there?

I head to the beach in shorts. I go for a run and a swim, then chat with the lifeguards just coming on duty.

Do you go to work? What kind of work are you doing?

I have an office with other bloggers and new media folk. I write and social network all morning, before taking the afternoon off.

This post really takes me somewhere, Cath. I can’t wait to write in more detail on my blog. :)

Thanks!

Jamie Harrop’s last blog post..Blogger Interview Series - Darren Rowse (ProBlogger)

8. cathlawson on September 2nd, 2008 6:47 am

Hi Jamie - that sounds good. Hopefully you’ll soon be doing at least part of your vision when you get to Australia this month.

It sounds like you’ve got some good plans. I love the idea of taking the afternoons off. And I’m looking forward to reading your detailed post.

9. Robin on September 2nd, 2008 7:12 am

Hi Cath - I tend to think about what i want to feel when I do these sorts of exercises - perhaps 10 years is a little too far away for me, to do more specific visualising.

Anyway, I would want to feel satisfaction, excitement, physical strength and health (my main issue at the moment), joy, lerve - all the good things!

Robin’s last blog post..Think And It Shall Be So

10. cathlawson on September 2nd, 2008 7:32 am

Hi Robin. I guess ten years is a long time isn’t it?

It sounds like you’re more of a kinsthetic person, than visual. And focusing on feeling is important isn’t it? It sounds like you know what you want and how to get there. I hope your health issues aren’t too serious.

11. Alex Fayle on September 2nd, 2008 7:59 am

What’s the first thing you see when you look out of the window in the morning?
    The sky, the mountains surrounding San Sebastian, the buildings nearby and maybe a hint of the sea.

Where do you go next - how do you get there?
    To my computer to have a nice slow morning where I connect socially with a bunch of people.

Do you go to work? What kind of work are you doing?
    I’m preparing my latest keynote address, working on two novels (first draft and edit) while the publisher has another one on the go, and tweaking the content of my latest information products.

Am I happy? You bet!

Alex Fayle’s last blog post..Connecting Desires with Actions: James Chartrand Interview

12. Stepping in to Your Perfect Day - Jamie Harrop - Young Entrepreneur on September 2nd, 2008 8:25 am

[...] was my good blogging friend, Cath Lawson, who inspired me to write about my perfect day. Cath asked her readers where, in the perfect world, they would want to be in 10 years [...]

13. cathlawson on September 2nd, 2008 1:55 pm

Hi Rita - I was out. Will email you now - it sounds like my blog has been down, probably for a few hours. Thanks for letting me know.

14. cathlawson on September 2nd, 2008 2:04 pm

Hi Alex - that sounds good. 3 novels at a time is a lot of plots to remember though.

15. John Hoff - eVentureBiz on September 2nd, 2008 2:35 pm

What’s the first thing you see when you look out of the window in the morning:

Our beautiful Earth from a distant view.

Where do you go next - how do you get there?

Mars. NASA’s new prototype rocket ship.

Do you go to work? What kind of work are you doing?

I am an explorer. I live where I work.

LOL - Ok, maybe that’s the future John Hoff!! But it sure would be fun.

You know, just living in a place where we can raise our children in a safe environment (thus not Vegas) near a not-too-crowded lake and owning a boat would be great.

John Hoff - eVentureBiz’s last blog post..Securing Your WordPress Blog: Post 5 - What To Do If Your Blog Is Cracked

16. Lance on September 2nd, 2008 5:09 pm

What a great idea to visualize where we want to be Cath!

When I get up, I’d like to see the forest in one direction and the ocean in the other. Since that will probably be difficult, I’ll settle for the forest, with the ocean not far off.

Then, I go for coffee, and some quiet time getting my day started by visualizing what I want to accomplish.

I may or may not go to work. It will consist of helping people achieve their dreams.

I’m going to dwell on this some more Cath. It just seems like such a good idea to think about where we want to be. These were quick answers, and with more time I think I can refine these to be more specific to what I want.

Lance’s last blog post..Stimulate Creativity

17. cathlawson on September 2nd, 2008 8:16 pm

Hi John - That’s a different one. But who knows - space exploration my be do-able and accessible to more of us by then.

I love the idea of the boat - I’m going to add one of those to my visualization too.

Hi Rita - that must be really uncomfortable having to sleep sitting up all the time. It would be great if a new type of medication came out by then, so you wouldn’t have to suffer so much pain just getting from A to B. I guess that’s what you need to visualize. It’s worth a try, if it makes your life more comfortable.

Hi Lance - I’ve glad you’ve decided to take the exercise further - it really is worthwhile. It seems like many of us want to be in a natural environment, close to water.

And it would be brilliant if you could help others achieve their dreams whilst living your own.

18. Barbara Swafford on September 3rd, 2008 5:59 am

I read this post yesterday, but didn’t have time to comment.

My perfect day would start in a beach front home where I could see the ocean crashing against a rock formation, sunny blue skies, and me holding a cup of fresh brewed coffee. Like you, I would venture out on the beach for a walk, picking up pretty rocks or shells along the way. I would have a job but it would be of a freelance type, where I could work late at night, so I could enjoy the scenery during the day.

Barbara Swafford’s last blog post..Charity Starts At Home

19. cathlawson on September 3rd, 2008 6:32 am

Hi Rita - I suppose being here would be a good start. But it would be nice if you could get decent medication and feel well too.

Hi Barbara - lots of folk seem to want a beach and coffee. We’re not really seeing folk wanting rock star type lifestyles here, with expensive cars, mansions etc, which is interesting.

20. Staying Positive During Hard Times - General Discussion on September 11th, 2008 4:05 am

[...] time? Are you staying positive and are you working toward something? Are you working toward that perfect day? Share And Enjoy //Random iframe content- © Dynamic Drive (www.dynamicdrive.com) [...]

21. Davina on September 20th, 2008 2:38 am

Hi Cath.

Fooled ya! No I didn’t take my laptop with me on the camping trip. But I sure did miss it. I left my comment to this post just before leaving. But now I’m back and happily reunited with my laptop :-)
    Davina’s last blog post..Are You Afraid of the Dark?

22. cathlawson on September 21st, 2008 6:11 am

Hi Davina - you did fool me. Do you mean you were actually able to set the comment so it didn’t show up until you came back?

Hope you had a great trip.