Shit: The Best Tool For Success

September 2, 2008

No word of a lie - the best tool I’ve found for achieving business success is shit. The more shit you have thrown at you, the more you learn. And although being in business is stressful, the more shit that hits you at once, the easier it will become later on.

And I know it may seem hard to believe, but all that shit is good for you, no matter how hard it seems to be at the time.

Don’t worry if you don’t know where to find shit. Once you’ve been hit by it, plenty more shit slingers will follow, especially if you’re trying to avoid them. Where there’s assholes, there’s usually heaps of shit to sling. I guess that has something to do with the law of attraction - if you focus on something you’re trying to avoid, it’s almost always sure to find you.

Now I used to think I was unlucky. But I eventually began to realise that all the shit that kept hitting me was actually helping me. You see, it hit me every single time I went against my gut instinct. It was as if it was trying to knock me down, every time I went down the wrong path - which was often, because I was stubborn.

The Rules Of Shit As A Success Tool

1) The harder it hits you, the more you learn from it.

2) If other people have a habit of slinging it at you, you usually know what direction it’s going to
come from.

3) It can increase your motivation. If we don’t like something, it usually gives us more incentive to
beat it. And most of us don’t like shit.

4) You’ll get your hands dirty if you try to throw it back where it came from.

5) Once you’ve identified a shit slinger - do anything you can to eliminate him/her from your life.
Shit slingers have the capability to attract more shit slingers in droves.

6) If you’re constantly being bombarded by shit, it may be a warning that you’re on the wrong path.

Shit has helped me in many ways. What about you - have you had heaps of shit thrown at you? Did it benefit you?

Apple iTunes

Related Posts

Business Success: Is It Really All That Simple?

How Far Can You Go Before You Bump Your Head?
Are You In The Business Of Misery

Comments

35 Responses to “Shit: The Best Tool For Success”

1. mark on September 2nd, 2008 4:11 pm

Shit - that’s a damn good post!

mark’s last blog post..What are your goals for this coming week? What would you like to accomplish?

2. Vered on September 2nd, 2008 4:20 pm

Catherine, go wash your mouth with soap and water please.

:-)

I’ve had a pretty sheltered life so far. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind, that the less sheltered your life is, the better you become at business.

Vered’s last blog post..How To Lose 100 Subscribers in 4 Days

3. Hunter Nuttall on September 2nd, 2008 4:49 pm

I kept reading this, expecting to find at the end that shit was an acronym. But no, you meant actual shit!

Hunter Nuttall’s last blog post..Akashic Record Reading With Akemi Gaines, Part 1

4. cathlawson on September 2nd, 2008 4:49 pm

LOL Mark, I wasn’t going to post it, but I thought, who gives a shit if I offend a few people.

Hi Vered - Don’t worry - you can always come out of the shelter at any time.

cathlawson’s last blog post..Shit: The Best Tool For Success

5. cathlawson on September 2nd, 2008 4:55 pm

Hi Hunter - I did wonder if people would think it was an acronym. I did also ponder the possiblity of replacing shit with a different word, but I was too lazy.

6. Sal on September 2nd, 2008 5:06 pm

This post describes my past week. The only thing is that you forgot that it rolls downhill, and you cannot roll it back uphill without getting covered yourself.

Thank you for bring a new light to fecal mater, as it applies to life

Sal’s last blog post..Action vs. Reaction

7. cathlawson on September 2nd, 2008 5:17 pm

Hi Sal - that is a really good point. But you can still wash it off when you get to the top. And I hope next week is better for you.

8. Davina on September 2nd, 2008 5:37 pm

Hi Cath. Shit, this is hilarious and so are the comments! I’m still laughing while I type. I’ve had a lot of shit thown at me and I was stupid enough to catch some of it. Yuck. But it is true that you learn a lot from what life throws at you. It makes you stronger.

Growing up on the farm my sisters and I had a game. We’d jump from the 2nd floor hay loft onto the manure pile. Weeeee. Of course we only had horses and the manure pile was older and had grass growing on it. But, it was still shit :-)
    Davina’s last blog post..Swinging Full Circle?That’s Life

9. cathlawson on September 2nd, 2008 5:43 pm

Hi Davina - catching some of it is unavoidable isn’t it. Even if you didn’t it would still hit you. But like you say - it makes you stronger.

It’s funny the things you do when you’re younger that you wouldn’t dream of doing when you’re an adult isn’t it? Anyway, I thought you’d gone on vacation. Why are you still here?

10. chris on September 2nd, 2008 6:03 pm

This reminds me of a poem I wrote in college titled “Shit.” You hit the shit on the head on this one. This is what you call calling it like it is.

chris’s last blog post..When It Rains?Part 6

11. Friar on September 2nd, 2008 6:47 pm

Cath

Hahahah!

I like someone who dosent’ mince words, and tells it like it is.

Sooner or later, everyone goes through a shit period in life. Job angst, health problems, relationship difficulties, death in the family. Often the shit happens in bunches.

But once it’s over, and you survive, it makes you stronger. And you appreciate the non-shit periods even more.

Friar’s last blog post..Travels with the Bear: Northern Ontario

12. Kathy on September 2nd, 2008 6:47 pm

THIS IS PRICELESS!!!!

So glad you didn’t “water” it down!!!!

Kathy’s last blog post..This is How Web 2.0 Works?

13. Sal on September 2nd, 2008 7:30 pm

@Friar: “Sooner or later, everyone goes through a shit period in life.”

You are correct, and usually it involves some sort of fan!

Sal’s last blog post..Action vs. Reaction

14. cathlawson on September 2nd, 2008 8:19 pm

Hi Chris - that’s true enough. I could have explained this in a different way - but it came out easier writing it like this.

Hi Friar - thanks. And what you say is true, it really does help you appreciate the non-shit periods more.

Hi Kathy - thank you. I was a bit worried about posting it - but I thought, what the hell.

Hi again Sal - that fan is always involved somewhere down the line isn’t it? Then you wind up getting pebbledashed in the stuff.

15. John Hoff - eVentureBiz on September 2nd, 2008 9:28 pm

Cath, you should have included a picture of someone cleaning up shit in this post.

Somehow though, I don’t think you cared to take the time to find one - I can see what mood you were in when you wrote this. It was the “I don’t give a fuck,” wasn’t it? Oh, I’ve had those days.

John Hoff - eVentureBiz’s last blog post..Securing Your WordPress Blog: Post 5 - What To Do If Your Blog Is Cracked

16. Mike Goad on September 2nd, 2008 11:33 pm

I don’t use the word myself in writing…, and not very often in speaking. But that’s just me.

It reminds me of the most hilarious class I ever gave. It was the last class ever given by our department as the responsibility for the system was going to the chemistry department.

The class was on the plant’s sewage treatment plant. Needless to say, the students were talking a lot of…, well…, you know, the word I don’t use in writing.

Mike Goad’s last blog post..?and yet another weather event!

17. Amy Derby on September 2nd, 2008 11:46 pm

You’re one funny lady. :-)

Must. Stop. Laughing.

Amy Derby’s last blog post..Freelance Writing Blogs That Rock

18. Ellen Wilson on September 3rd, 2008 12:47 am

The greatest shit that happened to me was when I realized I wasn’t shit. This helped my self esteem.

I think too much shit is just too much.

And I usually don’t learn from the shit until much later. I piece it all together in my mind.

Ellen Wilson’s last blog post..The Disappearing Barns of the Midwest

19. Brett Legree on September 3rd, 2008 1:45 am

I also thought this was going to be about Special High Intensity Training… the secret to success at the Widget Factory, right Friar?

(And now I can’t stop thinking of the line in Full Metal Jacket… “I am… in a world… of shit…”)

I guess I’ve had my share of shit. Everyone does. Though I’ve not really called it shit. I’ve considered it to be trials, really. No matter how tough they are, if I’m still moving the next morning, I’ve made it.

Brett Legree’s last blog post..viking fridays - raiding party.

20. Al at 7P on September 3rd, 2008 2:28 am

Thanks for such a very funny article! Awesome!

Some of the comments were great too. I particularly laughed and cringed at the same time with Kathy’s comment.

Al at 7P’s last blog post..The Criminally-Minded Approach for Achieving Goals

21. Mother Earth on September 3rd, 2008 3:48 am

postively priceless post

Mother Earth’s last blog post..Green Moms Carnival :: Back To School

22. Barbara Swafford on September 3rd, 2008 6:04 am

Oh Catherine,

I never know what to expect from you. I was more curious as to what kind of picture you would post. I see you played it safe. :)

In life we do get a lot thrown at us. If we can learn to deal with it, and learn from it, we’ll be much further ahead.

On that note, I’m off to your latest post.

Barbara Swafford’s last blog post..Charity Starts At Home

23. cathlawson on September 3rd, 2008 6:48 am

Hi John - you’re right. I wrote this a few days ago when I had PMT. I wasn’t in a particularly bad mood when I wrote it, it just came out. I guess I was thinking about the positive aspects of having heaps of shit thrown at you, but I wanted to write it differently.

Hi Mike - I had a feeling you wouldn’t use that word much. I have a good idea on what the class might have been like though.

Hi Amy - thanks. Glad it made you laugh.

Hi Ellen - You’ve changed your avatar - it’s excellent. That’s a good point - some folk make you feel like you are shit and realising you’re not is a good thing.

Not learning from it until later is one downside to shit I guess. It doesn’t feel great when it’s actually hitting you.

Hi Brett - another one that thought it was an acronym. I guess trials are another good word for shit.

Hi Al - thanks. Kathy’s comment was hilarious wasn’t it?

Hi Mother Earth - glad you enjoyed it.

Hi Barbara - thought a pic would make it a bit stomach churning.

I do think it helps us learn doesn’t it - even tho it doesn’t always seem good at the time.

24. Alex Fayle on September 3rd, 2008 7:46 am

I’ve been learning to let go of my shit - past shit is dry shit and it’s just a waste product that fouling up my present. Fortunately in the present I have very little shit coming at me (next to none, really) and in the future I foresee even less shit. Which is why I think I’m finally able to let go of my past shit and live a shit-free life.

Alex Fayle’s last blog post..Practicing Flexibility to Remain Steady

25. cathlawson on September 3rd, 2008 8:03 am

Hi Alex - That is a good point - past shit is dry shit. It can’t really stick to you anymore if you’ve learned from it can it?

A shit free life sounds like a pretty good plan.

26. Sara Healy on September 3rd, 2008 3:47 pm

Cath…I loved this post! I have spent quite a bit of time searching for the pony in the pile of shit around me. And the pile of shit grows exponentially to the frequency of ignoring my gut.

Thanks for the post!

27. Mark Dykeman on September 3rd, 2008 3:54 pm

Certainly a bunch of useful tips there. For the most part I try to stay below the radar, but I guess I do get caught in the occasional shit storm.

Never really thought about it the way you’ve described it, though. :)
    Mark Dykeman’s last blog post..Social media magicians give away their best tricks

28. cathlawson on September 3rd, 2008 6:09 pm

LOL - Sara - that is a great way of describing the amount of shit you’ve had to put up with.

Hi Mark - thanks. I don’t know where these thoughts come from - they worry me sometimes.

29. Jim Gaudet on September 4th, 2008 3:35 am

“You’ll get your hands dirty if you try to throw it back where it came from.”

I think the best one. It never helps to get dirty in shit, especially someone else’s shit.

Great post.

~ Jim

Jim Gaudet’s last blog post..In Search of a Path for my Blog?

30. cathlawson on September 5th, 2008 7:53 am

Hi Jim - thanks. It’s always best to stay clean isn’t it?

31. Robin on September 5th, 2008 9:17 am

ha ha what a funny post!

I especially liked “If you’re constantly being bombarded by shit, it may be a warning that you’re on the wrong path.” I think I needed this to happen to drastically change path, quite a few years ago.

Robin’s last blog post..Think And It Shall Be So

32. cathlawson on September 5th, 2008 11:53 am

Hi Robin - thanks. I’m glad shit helped you too. It doesn’t feel good at the time, but it really does help you get onto the right path doesn’t it?

33. Recession Fears? Don't Let The Whingers Get You Down on September 20th, 2008 11:20 pm

[...] Tips For Covering Your Ass In Business Shit: The Best Tool For Success Is Fear Stunting Your Growth? Anti-Squash Business Survival Tips [?] Share [...]

34. Achieve Business Success By Being..... on December 10th, 2008 8:43 am

[...] Business Success Story - No Matter What Your Age 7 Questions To Ask - Before You Launch A Business Shit - The Best Tool For Success [?] Share [...]

35. How Do You React When Folk Are Mean? on December 21st, 2008 8:03 am

[...] Shit: The Best Tool For Success: Sometimes, life seems to throw more than your fair of shit at you. But if you look at it through positive eyes - all that shit can help you achieve success. [...]