Heroes Of Healing: Napoleon Hill

November 5, 2008

Heroes of Healing is the brainchild of the wonderful Jenny Mannion. It’s a group writing project, which celebrates the work of heroes who’ve helped many people get through tough times and improve their lives significantly. And because most of these heroes of healing introduced new and uncoventional ideas, for their time, they were mocked by cynics. But they ignored the scorn of those negative people, in favour of improving the lives of others.

I’ve chosen Napolean Hill as my hero of healing. He was probably one of the first people who wrote about what many of us know as the Law of Attraction. And he devoted his life to researching what made some folk rich and successful.

Hill studied dozens of successful people, to discover what traits they shared. He explained how the Law of Attraction works and that it’s possible to achieve anything the mind can conceive. And that we can tap into a massive source of ideas, outside of our own mind. He also pointed out the fears and habits we need to overcome, in order to be successful.

Video:

Website: Napoleon Hill Foundation

Books: Books & CD’s By Napoleon Hill

What Catherine Lawson Has Learned From Napoleon Hill

I first came across Napoleon Hill’s work in the late nineties. I was just about to leave the bookstore but something drew me to the book, “Think & Grow Rich”.

When I first began reading Think and Grow Rich, I was still suffering from Post Traumatic Stress disorder. One of the first things the book did for me, was to encourage me to focus towards what I wanted in life, rather than concentrating on curing the illness.

And I gradually managed to overcome some of the setbacks and thoughts, which Hill described as barriers to success. I began studying and I started my first small Internet business. And I started to plan a future I’d previously thought I could no longer have. I followed the instructions in the book and read my goals to myself each day. I wanted to make a specific sum of money over 7 years, through writing. I didn’t specify the type of writing - I didn’t care, so long as I could write.

Although I did achieve my financial target, I found that most of the writing I did to get there was the writing of marketing letters. Obviously, next time I needed to be more specific. Also, I still had one huge hurdle to overcome. I’d been in a bad relationship for a number of years.

Napoleon Hill had mentioned that choosing the wrong partner in marriage was one of the biggest barriers to success. And whilst I knew that I had to end that relationship before I could be truly successful, it took a number of years to find the courage to do so. The trouble was, I was focusing on the bad marriage that I didn’t want, so my marriage just got worse and worse.

Hill’s work has helped me achieve things I never believed possible at one point in my life. And I know that many people have read “The Secret” but I found that it merely glosses over the Law Of Attraction. If you want to receive the full benefits, you’d be far better of studying Napoleon Hill’s work and also the work of Esther and Jerry Hicks.

Click here to learn about more Heroes of Healing, including Dr. Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, Tony Robbins, Oprah Winfrey, Dr Wayne Dyer and Louise Hay.

Why Some Of The Best Business Ideas Suck
You Have Never Been More Powerful
How To Attract Amazingly Positive People
Paint A Picture Of Your Perfect Day

Comments

22 Responses to “Heroes Of Healing: Napoleon Hill”

1. Jenny Mannion on November 5th, 2008 4:00 pm

Thank you so much for participating and for writing about Napoleon Hill. He was one of the first books I read when I was healing and was very helpful to me in my learning about the power of the mind, law of attraction and achievement. Thanks again Cath — a pleasure working with you.
    Love,
    Jenny

Jenny Mannion’s last blog post..Art — Spiritual and Healing

2. Jannie on November 5th, 2008 7:26 pm

I think it’s always a great idea to get rid of anything negative in our lives, but often times we don’t see what was dragging us down until after it’s gone.

I haven’t read his book but I’m goign to the bookstore later and will have a peek at it as I sit in a nice comfy chair with a short decaf. Thanks.

Jannie’s last blog post..Caught red-pawed!

3. Marelisa on November 5th, 2008 10:51 pm

Hi Cath: Napoleon Hill is definitely a giant in the self-help world. I think it’s miraculous how in this day and age we can benefit from the wisdom of so many people we don’t know and will never meet, including those who passed on many years ago. I’m glad that you found Hill’s work when you needed it, and that it has helped you live a happier, more positive life. He’s also one of the people who has helped me improve my life.

Marelisa’s last blog post..Productivity Tool: “Mise en Place”

4. Melissa Donovan on November 6th, 2008 12:40 am

Oprah did it for me. During a difficult time, I somehow kept bumping into her show, it was always one of her uplifting episodes - one was about The Secret, another about Russell Simmons’ book Do You. These and other shows of hers about personal responsibility, inspiration, and hope ;) really helped me believe in myself and get through some hard times. We need our heroes, and we can all be quiet heroes too.

Melissa Donovan’s last blog post..The Biggest Writing Exercise in the World

5. Barbara Swafford on November 6th, 2008 3:43 am

Hi Catherine - Years ago I bought the Napoleon Hill book. This past summer when I was getting ready for my garage sale, I found it. It’s sitting on my desk and as soon as I have a chance I want to reread it. I’ve read The Secret” and to me that made sense. After reading what you just wrote, I’m even more anxious to read Hill’s book.

I do agree, our thoughts are very powerful and that which we think about the most, we can attract. Like you said, we need to learn to be specific. :)
    Barbara Swafford’s last blog post..Blogs - Information You Won’t Find In A Text Book

6. Patricia on November 6th, 2008 5:11 am

My first introduction to Mr. Hill was through Florence Scovel Shinn and I have done a great deal of work with Louise Hay along my journey - such powerful stuff. I had trouble with the Secret DVD because it was so materialistic to me so I put off looking at the book for a long time…
    It is such good stuff to build a life upon.
    What I have plastered right in front of my face since I started college years ago is this JW Von Goethe quote:
    “Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness, concerning all acts of initiative and creation. There is one elementary truth in ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issue from the decisions, raising in one’s favour all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.”
    The Nike ad “Just Do It” comes from this quote
    Nice writing here and now…thank you for sharing this good stuff.

Patricia’s last blog post..Hats off to Elizabeth Cady Stanton and the Revising Committee

7. cathlawson on November 6th, 2008 8:58 am

Hi Jenny - you’re welcome. I’m just sorry I took so long to get it done. I get stage fright when someone else asks me to write for their site. It’s a great project and I’m really enjoying reading all the other contributions too. There’s so many amazing people to learn from.

Hi Jannie - that’s a good point. It’s often difficult to understand the cause of a problem when it’s staring you in the face. The book definitely made me think of things I hadn’t considered. It’s definitely worth checking out.

Hi Mare - he’s brilliant isn’t he? Aside from the book being biased towards men (I guess few women worked in his day) - it’s almost timeless isn’t it? It’s a massive achievement to write something which will help people years after your death.

Hi Melissa - Oprah is brilliant isn’t she - I’m glad she helped you so much. I don’t watch a lot of TV anymore, so I tend to miss her show but I love her website.

Hi Barbara - It’s definitely worth re-reading. Over the years, I’ve referred back to my copy frequently. There’s such a lot to take in and remember.

Re - being specific. I don’t think I was brave enough. I guess I was just grateful to make anything from writing, whether it was through my website or whatever. I didn’t imagine for one minute that I’d be writing a lot of marketing letters.

I would definitely advise others to be specific though - I would much rather have been growing my old website than doing what I was doing.

Hi Patricia - Kelly from She-Power wrote about Louise Hay - she has helped her a lot.

I bought the Secret DVD for my kids. I worked out what it was about from the trailer. But while the beginning was exciting for them, the rest didn’t do a lot. I felt that it only just skimmed the surface and as you said, it concentrated far too much on gaining material things.

I love the Goethe quote - sometimes I put the last part on this blog.

8. Lance on November 6th, 2008 11:08 am

Very cool choice Cath! Think and Grow Rich is such a great book. I’ve read it once several years ago - and, in fact, just pulled it out again a couple of weeks ago when I was out of town on a business trip. So, I’m in the process of re-reading it as we speak. Mr. Hill has a wealth of information he shares, and stuff that is just as applicable today as when the book was written.

Thanks, Cath, for writing this piece - and highlighting what great work Napoleon Hill has provided through his writing!

Lance’s last blog post..Fear: Does It Hold You Back?

9. Natural on November 6th, 2008 11:25 am

hey cath, i have read the think and grow rich book, in fact, i keep a photocopy of a portion of it in my desk drawer. great stuff indeed. if we THINK we can almost do or be anything.

Natural’s last blog post..Finger Clicking Good?gaud That Hurts!

10. Cath Lawson on November 6th, 2008 11:53 am

Hi Lance - thank you. It’s brilliant isn’t it? It’s definitely the kind of book that’s worth reading a few times.

Hi Valerie - that’s a good idea, photocopying the bits you read most. Maybe I should do that too. My copy of the book is falling to bits now.

Cath Lawson’s last blog post..Heroes Of Healing: Napoleon Hill

11. Evelyn Lim on November 6th, 2008 2:25 pm

I learned a fair bit from Napolean Hill’s book!! It is always a good idea to pick it up again for a re-read!! Thanks for doing this write-up on a favorite author of mine!

Evelyn Lim’s last blog post..The Lipstick Indicator To Great Wealth

12. cathlawson on November 6th, 2008 2:38 pm

Hi Evelyn - you’re welcome. I’m glad you’ve benefited from Napoleon Hill’s book too.

13. Jennifer on November 6th, 2008 6:12 pm

Cath, thanks for this tribute. I can’t believe no one has written about Mr. Hill yet.

Mr. Hill has influenced so many and has long been known as the expert in the personal development industry. Until recently, I had only read parts of the book, but now I’m listening to it on CD and reading along as well. It is amazing and very in depth. I’m in the midst of starting a discussion of it. I’d love to hear your insights when I get it ready.

Jennifer’s last blog post..Come and Share in My Misery

14. Davina on November 6th, 2008 7:15 pm

Hi Cath. Inspiring! I guess it is true that when we are ready, the teacher appears. You met yours that day in that bookstore. I’m also a fan of Tony Robbins, Wayne Dyer and Louise Hay. I love Oprah too, but don’t always catch her show.

Davina’s last blog post..Akemi Gaines On Intuition, Dreams And Spiritual Guidance?Interview Part 1

15. cathlawson on November 6th, 2008 10:16 pm

Hi Jennifer - to be honest, I’ve been on the list to write about Napoleon Hill for a little while but it’s taken me an age to get it done.

I’m guessing you’re listening to the CD version narrated by Earl Nightingale. It’s wonderful. And I would love to give my input on your discussion. Folk keep attributing the secret to that Wallace guy but I reckon it really came from Hill’s work.

Hi Davina - that is so true isn’t it. I feel bad when you say that - it’s like you’re waiting for your teacher. No joke, I’m doing the same thing for John H - but I have to let everybody’s ideas and plans marinade, until something comes out. Sometimes I think my ideas come from somewhere else - as Akemi mentioned in her interview.

Tony Robbins is fab - I have that multiple set CD of his. Only thing is, you can’t do it in the car as he keeps making you stop to write.

I really want to read Wayne Dyer and Louise Hay as I’ve read great things about them and as we all know Oprah is awesome. Did you join her website yet? She has so many great things on there.

16. Davina on November 7th, 2008 5:16 am

Tony Robbins is my newest hero! I started his book Awaken The Giant Within when I went camping this year. So much of what he has written is what I’ve come to understand through coaching.

Unfortunately (damn I hate this), once I returned from the camping trip back to “reality” I’ve not been able to finish it. I need 2 heads!

Haven’t joined with Oprah yet. Maybe someday….

17. cathlawson on November 7th, 2008 11:34 pm

Hi Davina - I’m still working on understanding what coaches do. I know a bit more than I used to. But it sounds like coaching could possibly be like having your own Anthony Robbins helping you.

That would be cool.

18. Davina on November 8th, 2008 4:12 am

That’s exactly right!

19. wilhb81 on November 25th, 2008 9:44 am

Oh, I’ve also read the “Think and Grow Rich” from Napoleon Hill two years ago, Cath and he is a very talented and inspirational writer, isn’t it?

wilhb81’s last blog post..Starting Your Own Business is Not a Dream Anymore!

20. Sara B. Healy on November 26th, 2008 5:23 pm

I haven’t had the pleasure of reading Napoleon Hill’s books, but after reading your post, I will have to check them out.

Douglas Block is a hero for me. He wrote a book, Listening to Your Inner Voice, which has helped me through many difficult times. It’s a simple book, but it’s taught me the value of listening to my own inner voice and letting it help guide me to where I need to go in my life. I recommend it to anyone!

After reading your post and all the comments people have left, I now have quite a list of books for my holiday reading!! Thanks!!

Sara

Sara B. Healy’s last blog post..Thanksgiving and Mister Rogers

21. Heroes Of Healing: Napoleon Hill : Think And Grow Rich MP3 on November 30th, 2008 1:43 am

[...] read the full article [...]

22. Robin on November 30th, 2008 1:44 am

Hi Cath - I haven’t ever read Napolean Hill’s material - I must, some time. Thanks for reminding me about it!

Robin’s last blog post..Why We Sabotage Ourselves