How To Start A Business Without Getting Scammed

November 11, 2008

There’s plenty of folk online who’ll teach you how to start a business. Trouble is for every legitimate guy who wants to show you how to start a business the right way, there’s a hundred others waiting to fleece you for every penny you’ve got.

So How Can You Learn How To Start A Business Without Getting Scammed?

Nobody knows how to start a business instinctively. You’ve got to learn from somewhere and if you’re serious about achieving business success, you’ll never stop learning. But you need to make sure you’ve got the right teachers. Otherwise, you’ll waste time and money that you can’t afford to lose.

Now, you’d expect that folk who teach others how to start a business would have done it themselves right? Trouble is, many of them haven’t. So why on earth would they want to show others how to start a business?

It’s One Of The Easiest Things To Sell To Anyone

• The easiest things in the world to sell are: sex, diet and money. It’s not a trend - it’s always been that way.

• Lots of folk want to start a business because they want to make money. That’s where the scammers come in.

• The Illiterate Marketing Guru Who Sucks At Marketing

I’m always keen to improve my business knowledge. So, a couple of years ago, I downloaded a free chapter of a new marketing ebook. It had a great title, the sales page was expertly written and the “marketing guru” who wrote the book, claimed to have discovered a brilliant new Internet marketing concept.

• The first chapter of the book sucked. A free dose of herpes would have given most folk more incentive to buy.

• He’d obviously paid an experienced copywriter to write his sales page. But the marketing emails he bombarded me with, appeared to have been written by an illiterate smurf.

• He sold his expensive course first - I don’t remember the exact cost but it was thousands, not hundreds. When it didn’t sell well, he converted it into a cheap ebook and said the course had sold out. Yeah right - and I can stand on my head and kiss my own butt at the same time

• I did a bit of research and discovered that he’d never sold anything, aside from showing other folk how to start a business and make money. And he hadn’t even had a job in sales or marketing.

But He Must Have Learned While He Earned - So You Could Benefit From That Right?

Well, not really. And he’s certainly not going to teach you how he made money himself - here’s why:

He had a huge list to market to and his joint venture partners also have huge lists. Even marketing that sucks still works to a point. So if his conversion rate was low, he could still make money, as he was marketing to huge numbers.

Couldn’t That Work For Your Business Too?

• You probably don’t want to start a business showing other people how to make money, so your conversion rates will be even lower if you follow his tips.

• You don’t have his huge list. So if you’re using his sucky marketing techniques on a small number of people, your results are going to be terrible.

• But If You’re New To Business - How Can You Spot These Scammers?

• Check their “about page”. Do they have any past achievements, or experience that would qualify them to teach you how to start a business? Or, is their “about page” a bit vague?

• Sign up to their mailing list. Do their emails make you want to trust them? Do they make you want to buy? If not, whatever they’re offering isn’t going to be much use to you.

• Don’t just read the glowing testimonials. Go to the websites of the folk giving the testimonials. If it’s a scam, chances are you’ll see the same old faces giving each other testimonials.

And if you sign up to their newsletters too, you’ll probably notice the same folk are also promoting each other’s stuff.

If you’re hoping to start an online business, you might want to check out the online business course, by Naomi Dunford. She shows you six different ways that she’s made money on the Internet in the last year. Amd she’s not promising to make you a millionaire by next week.

But she’s so confident that she can help you to make money online, she guarantees to give one on one tuition, if you’re struggling to grasp the course. Oh - and her course doesn’t cost thousands. In fact, the first two thousand people to sign up to her Online Business School will receive a 50% discount.

• Subscribe to this blog in a feed reader and learn how to start a business without getting scammed.

How To Get Noticed Online
    How To Start A Business Blog: 8 Week Power Blog Launch
    How To Build A Better Business By Spying
    How To Get 150,000 Web Page Views A Month
    Be A Business Success Story - No Matter What Your Age
    The Recipe: How To Start An Online Business

Comments

13 Responses to “How To Start A Business Without Getting Scammed”

1. Kathy @ Virtual Impax on November 11th, 2008 7:37 pm

That sound I hear is the angels singing!!!

My favorite “scam spotting” device the Search Status plug in for Firefox. http://www.quirk.biz/searchstatus/

It shows a PR and Alexa ranking for a site at a glance.

For example, one of these “jokers” was selling a product that promised to raise your PR (Page Rank) - the PR of the site SELLING the “secret system” - a PR 2!!! Thanks - but no thanks!

Of course, this blog is like a lighthouse - shining a beacon of truth to all who want to see and know the TRUTH about making money online! I’ve never been disappointing with your recommendations!

Kathy @ Virtual Impax’s last blog post..Steps to Starting a Small Business: #3 Promotion (a.k.a. ‘marketing?)

2. chris on November 11th, 2008 8:21 pm

If you want quick money, you will probably end up being scammed. I’ve been scammed before and I’m sure it won’t be the last one.

chris’s last blog post..The Economy, The Environment, My Children

3. Melissa Donovan on November 11th, 2008 9:49 pm

Ugh, they’re the bane of the Internet - scammers and spammers. What really sucks about these con artists is that they make it so difficult for people to trust other, legitimate “experts.” They’ve also made it so that those of us who are wise to snake oil antics are forced to spend a lot of time researching to ensure we only hire people who are credible authorities.

Melissa Donovan’s last blog post..How to Balance Home and Work When You Work from Home

4. Davina on November 12th, 2008 12:19 am

Hi Cath. Kathy’s words are worth repeating: “…this blog is like a lighthouse - shining a beacon of truth to all who want to see and know the TRUTH about making money online.”

You know, I think a lot of people’s hesitancy about spending money to start a business is because it’s becoming harder to trust with so many scammers out there.

It creates a cycle, cause those genuine trustworthy experts who are out there ready to support you (who need your support too) have to work that much harder just to be trusted first, even before the marketing. And… if a person feels you are trying to gain their trust, they can either respond or react with suspicion. Yep, it’s a jungle out there.

Davina’s last blog post..Akemi Gaines On Intuition, Dreams And Spiritual Guidance?Interview Part 2

5. John Hoff - eVentureBiz on November 12th, 2008 1:32 am

I’m one of those people who was doing pretty well until the market went south.

I’ve invested in real estate for awhile and made pretty good money and for the most part have been playing it safe; but geez, this market isn’t just bad, it’s real bad.

I currently own 2 businesses, one has made decent money, one still climbing up the ladder.

That said, I’ve asked myself this question before. I’ve always said if you want to be “rich, wealthy, successful” etc, you need to listen to those people. So since I’m not a millionaire, why should people listen to me?

Definitely has crossed my mind.

John Hoff - eVentureBiz’s last blog post..Open Discussion: What Would Make For A Great WordPress Hosting Company?

6. John Hoff - eVentureBiz on November 12th, 2008 1:43 am

A guy commented on my blog once and when I visited his site I had to laugh.

His site was about being an entrepreneur however he freely admitted he hasn’t been successful in his endeavors. Therefore, he chose to blog about things he’s done which has not worked, thus hoping you wouldn’t make the same mistakes.

I thought that was pretty cool.

7. Cath Lawson on November 12th, 2008 6:25 am

Hi Kathy - thanks. I try my best to recommend good stuff. You would have laughed at the guy mentioned in the post. If he did sell any copies of his expensive course, I’d love to know how his customers felt when he re-packaged it as an ebook.

You have access to heaps of brilliant tools. I’ll be trying that one out. You’d think folk wouldn’t fall for some of that stuff but I guess they prey on people who don’t have a clue. I’ve seen ones on how to get traffic, or SEO - yet the sales site gets very little traffic.

Hi Chris - that is a good point. Folk who are desperate to make a heap of cash fast will get stung often.

Hi Melissa - they do spoil it for legitimate folk don’t they? I know I spend a whole heap more time researching before I buy than I used to. And the trouble is, a lot of affiliates who promote some of this crap use keywords like scam, so it’s often difficult to uncover the truth.

Hi Davina - it makes it tough doesn’t it? I thing blogging does help to build credibility and trust but it doesn’t happen overnight.

And as you say, some folk are suspicious, if they think you’re trying to gain their trust because they’ve been scammed so many times.

Hi John - 2 businesses and real estate is pretty good. I don’t think you need to be a millionaire to prove you know what you’re talking about.

Few people do well in bad markets like this. Even folk who make a living from helping others to invest like stockbrokers and fund managers struggle when the market is going down.

Blogs like the one you mentioned probably do help a lot of folk but it must be hard work writing them. I like writing about mistakes I’ve made sometimes. But I think I’d find it depressing to write only about mistakes I’ve made.

Cath Lawson’s last blog post..How To Start A Business Without Getting Scammed

8. Kelvin Kao on November 12th, 2008 7:36 am

I think It’s good to think about two questions:
      1) Is this too good to be true?
      2) Does this guy have anything better to do besides selling his money-making tips?

Kelvin Kao’s last blog post..JellyTelly Launches Beta Site

9. cathlawson on November 12th, 2008 8:26 am

Hi Kelvin - those are good questions. A lot of offers you see are far too good to be true. Trouble is, folk believe them because they want to.

10. John on November 12th, 2008 10:04 am

The trouble is a lot of people want a quick buck, a quick diet or a quick fumble ;) without having the put in any time or effort.

Those people will always be vulnerable to being scammed and not just online either, if you’ve ever watched The Real Hustle (BBC Three) you’ll see how easily people are taking in by scams promising a quick buck.

The term “an illiterate smurf.” really made me laugh, thanks! :)
      John’s last blog post..Starting A Dog Walking Business

11. The Secret Business Success Formula on November 17th, 2008 1:41 am

[...] Reading How To Start A Business Without Getting Scammed Run Your Small Business Like A Rock Star How To Get 150,000 Web Page Views A Month [?] Share [...]

12. How Not To Promote Your Business On The Internet on December 7th, 2008 1:44 am

[...] How To Start A Business Without Getting Scammed 6 Ways To Get Noticed Online 47 Brilliant Blog Marketing Resources Why Your Business Is Not A Success The Secret Business Success Formula [?] Share This [...]

13. Achieve Business Success By Being..... on December 10th, 2008 3:49 pm

[...] Achieve Success With Your Own Affiliate Marketing Business The Secret Business Success Formula How To Start A Business Without Getting Scammed Entrepreneur Interview With Davina Haisell of Crimson Compass Be A Business Success Story - No [...]