I’m Not A Bloody Fortune Teller But….

December 7, 2008

I can tell which new and aspiring business owners are going to be successful, by their attitude towards their business in the run up to Christmas. If you find yourself saying “bugger it” nobody buys my stuff at this time of year, so I’ll wind things down a bit - there’s a good chance that your little biz won’t be around this time next year.

Ok, if you’re not in retail, there may not be a huge demand for what you sell right now. But if that’s the case, you should be working flat out, so you can dazzle your customers at the beginning of January.

Christmas is just one day - so what’s the point in wasting weeks preparing for it? Will Jesus love you more, if you celebrate his birthday spending every spare hour shopping for crap and getting into a pile of debt? And is it really a good use of your time to spend hours wondering whether you should stick an onion, or stuffing up the turkey’s ass?

If you’re still nowhere near getting started on your new business, take advantage of some of this free business advice, sales and special offers and start 2009 with a bang. Here’s some ideas for you to consider, depending on your plans and what stage you’re at right now. And don’t waste time reading them all. Just go straight to the one that applies to you.

You Don’t Want To Put All Your Eggs In One Basket

In this economy, putting all your eggs in one basket is risky. If you want to be more cautious with your family’s income, you might want to diversify a bit.

Free Resource

How To Reduce Your Risk By Building Baskets - Would you rather have 100 baskets making you $10,000 dollars per year each, or one basket making you $1 million?

Cheap Fix

Multiple Streams of Income: How to Generate a Lifetime of Unlimited Wealth - I’ve referred to this book many times, over the last few years. It’s an excellent paperback book, with great ideas for creating several income streams, to avoid putting all your eggs in one basket.

Investment

The Online Business School
introductory offer ends at the end of the day on Monday 8th December. And the course price goes up from $197 to $397. You’ll learn six different ways to make money online and create multiple streams of income.

But don’t enrol on this course if you’re hoping to earn a fast buck overnight. You’ll learn some sound ways to make money online but you’ll have to get off your butt and do some serious work. So, if you think this is the course for you and you’re prepared to work hard, don’t be a plonker and pay double in January. Jump off the fence now and get yourself enrolled on the Online Business School.

Can’t Motivate Yourself To Get Off Your Ass And Do Something?

Are you not particularly self motivated? Or is it just the cold and miserable weather that’s flattening your enthusiasm and making you drag your heels?

Free Resources

The Only Two Secrets To Motivating Yourself You’ll Ever Need - 1) make things enjoyable and 2) use positive public pressure. But read on for more on how to use those two things to motivate yourself for any goal.

Is Fear Stunting Your Growth? - If we don’t try new things, we don’t push beyond our comfort zone and we get stuck in a rut. It might be a comfortable rut, but it’s still a rut.

Cheap Fix

Becoming An Early Riser: Great book on motivating yourself to get your ass out of bed early and get all those things done, that you’ve been putting off.

Investment

And if you can’t motivate yourself to get off your ass and do anything, I noticed that Tim Brownson is having a Christmas sale. You get 4 whip cracking, 1 hour sessions with him for $249, instead of $349. And just to make sure you’re not one of those folk who gets offended by his British humour - he’ll give you a free, thirty minute taster session.

If You Can’t Come Up With A Good Business Idea

Are you struggling to come up with a good business idea? Maybe you just need something to inspire you, or a bit of guidance on how to find the business idea that’s right for you.

Free Resources

Inside Out Approach To Entrepreneurship: Find The Niche - If you have been doing what everyone else wants you to do, you may have forgotten what you love to do. Here’s how to find out.

27 Ways To Fuel Your Imagination & Come Up With Great Ideas
- To succeed in business, you also need to do activities that will fuel your imagination and enable you to come up with great ideas.

Cheap Fix

How to Make Millions with Your Ideas: An Entrepreneur’s Guide - This is another cheap paperback that I’ve referred to heaps over the years. If you can’t come up with at least one good idea after reading this book, there’s no hope for you.

Investment

If you want to start up a new business and you want help figuring out which type of business is right for you, check out Tom Volkar’s Authentic Business Discovery Course. The next one runs in January, so you’ll need to get your name down as it books up fast.

You Want To Start A Blog For Your Business But You Don’t Have A Clue Where To Begin

Free Resources

The Top Ten E-Commerce Blogging Tips To Skyrocket Sales - This is “must know” advice for folks in e-commerce.
The Power of Blogging For Business Without A Business: If you didn’t even launch your business yet, it may be better to start a blog first.

Cheap Fix

The 8 Week Power Blog Launch: This course will tell you exactly how to launch and build a successful blog. If you’re quite new to blogging, or you don’t have a blog yet, this will give you a head start. I’ve been blogging daily for 19 months now, but there were things in here that I didn’t even know about. And you don’t have to do it over 8 weeks - I know people who have got through the course far faster.

Investment

Remarkable Blog Consulting & Coaching:
Get expert live, one on one help with everything, from setting up your business blog, to using SEO and social media to drive traffic. Michael Martine is a great guy and he really knows what he’s talking about. Learn more and check out what his clients are saying about him.* Michael has kindly offered a 10% discount to al my readers.

You’re Not Sure What You Want To Do With Your Life At All

Free Resources

How To Figure Out What You Want In Life
- Life is incredibly complex. It is filled with infinite possibilities limited only by our creative ability and courage. Do you perhaps want a family and to buy a house? Or do you want to travel, see the world and meet all manner of different people?

How To Discover Your Life Purpose In About 20 Minutes - How do you discover your real purpose in life? I’m not talking about your job, your daily responsibilities, or even your long-term goals. I mean the real reason why you’re here at all — the very reason you exist.

Start 2009 With A Bang: Create A Life List - As a 15-year-old John sat down and wrote out a list of 127 adventures he aimed to accomplish before he died. Since then he’s accomplished about 111 of those goals, which include things such as climbing the world’s tallest mountains, exploring the world’s greatest rivers, reading the complete works of Shakespeare, flying a plane, and visiting every country in the world.

Cheap Fix

Unfolding Your Dreams for Success: Discover What You Really Want To Do In Life, And Get ANY Job You Want! - Expand Your Mind And Make An Impact! Great book on knowing what you want in life and how to get it.

Investment

If you have ambitions to be a writer, artist, or entrepreneur, or you’ve just come up against a brick wall in life and you feel stuck, let Davina Haisell help you onto the right path. She’s a professional life coach and she’s currently offering special deals on one on one coaching. And you can also get a free 30 minute taster session, to ensure her service is right for you.

You Suck At Selling Yourself And Your Business

If you’re no good at selling yourself and your business, it’s not the end of the world. Well - it isn’t, so long as you learn how to do it properly. And whether you’re a business owner, a writer, or a one legged lap dancer, these resources can help.

Free Resources

Learn To Sell Yourself:
Tim Brownson’s, no shit article on why you need to learn to sell yourself, no matter how amazing your product or service is.

17 Ways To Stand Out From The Crowd
- Number 6 - Make Yourself Lucky: How many times do you hear someone say, “She was just in the right place at the right time.” It’s irritating isn’t it? The truth is, if you put yourself in plenty of places, you’ll eventually wind up in the right place at the right time too - it has nothing to do with luck.

Cheap Fix

Check out my business bookstore, for some of my favourite paperback books on sales.

Investment

If you have a willingness to learn and a desire to improve, Brad Shorr can help and he really knows his stuff. You can find out what Brad can do for your and your business here. And you can read his excellent blog right here.

Image Credit: Matthew

Comments

28 Responses to “I’m Not A Bloody Fortune Teller But….”

1. Brad Shorr on December 7th, 2008 10:21 pm

Hi Cath, Thank you for the plug - my first Christmas present of the season. It must have taken you quite some time to compile this list of resources, which says a lot about the dedication you have to your readers. You will be rewarded!

Brad Shorr’s last blog post..Today Is Cell Abuse Blog Contest Deadline

2. Marelisa on December 7th, 2008 10:24 pm

Hi Cath: What a great set of resources. I’m going to go check out 27 Ways To Fuel Your Imagination & Come Up With Great Ideas. Thank you for the mention and for the link :-)
    Marelisa’s last blog post..Five Joyous Tips for Being Happy

3. Michael Martine - Remarkablogger on December 7th, 2008 11:17 pm

I like the sound of “must-know” next to my name. :) Thanks!

Tell you what, if anyone wants to take their blog game to a serious level by working with me, I will give Cath’s readers a 10% discount.

Just contact me through my blog and mention this post.

Michael Martine - Remarkablogger’s last blog post..The Revolution will be Twitterized - Twitter Revolution Book

4. on December 8th, 2008 1:25 am
  5. Davina on December 8th, 2008 2:31 am

Hi Cath. I’ve been a bit under the weather these last 2 days and after just reading Tim’s no-shit article I’m wide awake again! That was good shit :-) Glad you shared it here. Thanks again for a great list of resources, you’re unstoppable!… and thanks for the link.

Davina’s last blog post..Step Out Of Crisis And Into Power

6. Barbara Swafford - Blogging Without A Blog on December 8th, 2008 8:23 am

Hi Catherine - I swear, you”re missing your calling. I think you can sell that one legged lap dancer “17 Ways To Stand Out From the Crowd” and ice cubes to Eskimos. :)

What a great list of resources. Thank you for compiling this fabulous list.

I’m still laughing. I thought you said a one legged TAP dancer. Then I reread your post.

Barbara Swafford - Blogging Without A Blog’s last blog post..Come Out, Come Out, Where Ever You Are

7. Kelly@SHE-POWER on December 8th, 2008 10:02 am

Cath, you really excel at these link posts. Some great reading material here, but god knows how long it will take me to check them out. I guess I’ll have to read the ones that leap out at me. I guess right now that’s the heading with ASS and MOTIVATION. I have a lot of the first and little of the second these days.

Kelly

Kelly@SHE-POWER’s last blog post..Intruder!

8. cathlawson on December 8th, 2008 11:03 am

Hi Brad - you’re welcome. When I first started it - it was meant to be a quick post. Then I kept thinking of other things folk might be struggling with and it took hours. I could have added more but it was getting on for bed time.

Hi Mare - you’re welcome. I hope you enjoy 27 Ways - it’s one of mine.

Hi Michael you’re welcome - it’s a great post and you over a great service. Thank you for offering the reader discount too - I’ll add it to the post.

Hi Akemi - you’re welcome. And that is a brilliant goal. Your Akashik record reading certainly helped me a lot.

And it definitely is the era for spiritually conscious people. I can already feel huge changes beginning to take place. That reminds me - a small miracle happened yesterday - I’ll email you about it.

Hi Davina - you’re welcome. Tim’s article was fab. I think he won’t be doing free guest posts much longer - we’l have to start paying him. But I think it will be worth it - his articles attract a lot of attention.

LMAO Barbara - Thank you. I can’t imagine tap dancing with one leg.

Hi Kelly - Thank you. I like doing them and folk seem to find them useful.

No wonder it’s hard to motivate yourself - it’s summer over there now, so it must be hard to make yourself sit down and work. Plus, you’ve just had that horrid intruder business.

9. Andrew on December 8th, 2008 12:07 pm

I just love the frankness of your writing style sometimes!

Thank you for taking the time to compile such a comprehensive list - a process which must have taken a great deal of time and effort on your behalf.

I think I need to look at the resources about fear stunting my growth, and also those about life direction.

Andrew’s last blog post..Employee rights and responsibilities part 5: The role of unions in the modern workplace

10. Kim Woodbridge on December 8th, 2008 3:26 pm

Hi Cath - I really enjoy your writing style. I don’t have time to go through these resources right now but I’ve bookmarked the page and will be. Thanks!

Kim Woodbridge’s last blog post..By: stratosg

11. chris on December 8th, 2008 3:36 pm

I need to check out this book “Multiple Streams of Income: How to Generate a Lifetime of Unlimited Wealth”

Great resource list.

chris’s last blog post..I Shall Return

12. cathlawson on December 8th, 2008 4:05 pm

Hi Andrew - Thank you. I hope they help. I wrote the fear one and the life direction ones are by Marelisa, Pick The Brain and Steve Pavlina.

Thanks Kim - it’s good that you’re too busy to go through them all right now. Maybe you don’t need any extra motivation to get stuff done.

Hi Chris - You will love that book. There is also a new version for making Multiple Streams of Income on the Internet but I didn’t read it yet.

13. Link love | Crayon Writer on December 8th, 2008 6:08 pm

[...] a wonderful list of resources, for any type of entrepreneur, over at Cath Lawson’s Tips for Success in Business & Life. I’ll be regularly checking her blog, since I seem to need lots of motivation to get my [...]

14. Kim Woodbridge on December 8th, 2008 6:48 pm

@Cath - LOL I should have clarified that I am at my day job and am too busy with the meaningless tasks that I do here ;-) I’ll read them at home :-)
    Kim Woodbridge’s last blog post..By: Silona

15. cathlawson on December 8th, 2008 6:55 pm

Hi Kim - I thought you meant you were working on your blog. It is not very often that you are busy at your day job :)

16. Jannie on December 8th, 2008 7:10 pm

My goodness - you came on full-force with this one, Cath!

1) make things enjoyable and 2) Use positive public pressure

I’d like those embroidered on a little pillow. Any embroiderers out there?

Make things enjoyable,
    Make things enjoyable.
    Use positive public pressure
    Use positive public pressure
    Repeat ad infinitum.

Stuffing and onion, think I’ll use both.

Jannie’s last blog post..Ten Honest Things

17. Crayon Web » Link love on December 8th, 2008 8:01 pm

18. Steve | Trade Show Guru on December 8th, 2008 9:45 pm

I came over hear from the Crayon Writer, and I’m glad I did. I like your attitude. I guess I’d better get off my ass and figure out what I want to do with my life. Either that, or I’ll just say “bugger it”!
    In all seriousness, I’m going to check out some of your links, and the rest of your blog. Thanks!
    ~ Steve, aka the trade show guru

Steve | Trade Show Guru’s last blog post..When Free Ain’t Free

19. Tim Brownson on December 8th, 2008 10:48 pm

Thanks a lot for the link Cath! I don’t want to seem ungrateful but next time can you make the entire post just about me and link to mulitiple posts of mine please. Then ask people to send me money too, that would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

Tim Brownson’s last blog post..How (not) To Become A Life Coach

20. Melissa Donovan, Copywriter on December 9th, 2008 2:53 am

“And is it really a good use of your time to spend hours wondering whether you should stick an onion, or stuffing up the turkey’s ass?”

You made me laugh so hard when I read that, I think I might have broken a rib. I just wasn’t expecting it! Hehehee. Great resources but I’m commenting to thank you for the laugh ;)
    Melissa Donovan, Copywriter’s last blog post..The Purpose of Online Marketing Strategies

21. wilhb81 on December 9th, 2008 4:42 pm

WoW, a very inspiring and mind-builded article indeed, Cath. I’ve read the “Learn to Sell Yourself” and it’s really an amazing skills!

It’s easy to start your own online business, but it’s a tough task to keep it survive throughout the time. Thus, we must always equipped ourselves with the useful business techniques and I think I’ve found it all at your blog, Cath ;)
    wilhb81’s last blog post..The Useful Business Tips 10: 5 Ultimate Tips for Improving Your Business!

22. cathlawson on December 9th, 2008 9:16 pm

LMAO Jannie - You can even be poetic and take about stuffing a turkeys ass in one sentence. I only eat the stuffing from the neck.

Hi Steve - Thank you for coming over. And thanks to the Crayon Writer for linking here too. I hope you enjoy the links and stuff.

LMAO Tim - you’re dominating far too much of the internet already. Where will it end? I can picture the headlines now. “Derbyshire Dictator Seizes Florida”.

Hi Melissa - you’re welcome. I’m glad you enjoyed it. And if you have to shove the stuffing up the turkey’s ass - dont eat it.

Hi Wilhb - It was an excellent article wasn’t it. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

23. Evelyn Lim on December 10th, 2008 12:35 am

What a great round-up of resources to give things a great kickstart into next year!! I’d be really thinking what I need when I sit down to make a business plan!! Thanks!

Evelyn Lim’s last blog post..Whose Pain Is This?

24. Weight loss supplements blog on December 12th, 2008 3:50 pm

I am just trying to start my online gig and I am very happy to stumble upon this special topic. Your selections is indeed promising and seem to be the must read for everybody who aspire to succeed in their respective ventures.

Weight loss supplements blog’s last blog post..How Do Weight Loss Supplements Work?

25. Natural on December 12th, 2008 3:58 pm

Can’t Motivate Yourself To Get Off Your Ass And Do Something? - oh this is exactly where i am (or was..slowly pulling out of it)

off to check off those links. thanks cath.

Natural’s last blog post..You?re So Vain You Probably Think This Post Is About You

26. (Anti) Social-Lists 12/14/08 | (Anti) Social Development on December 14th, 2008 11:15 am

[...] I’m Not A Bloody Fortune Teller But…. - Business advice from Cath Lawson that you help you start 2009 on the right foot. Just remember, it doesn’t matter what you stick up the turkey’s butt. [...]

27. Carla on December 15th, 2008 2:43 am

I’m saving this to del.ic.ious pronto. I cant believe I didnt see this sooner!

28. cathlawson on December 15th, 2008 9:10 am

Thanks Evelyn - glad you found it useful.

Hi Valerie - You motivated yourself enough to do the novel writing in a month comp. How ,any words did you get done?

Hi Carla - Thank you. I keep forgetting about delicious. I really should be using it more.