10 Ways To Immortalize Yourself

December 12, 2008

There are heaps of ways to immortalize yourself, from grave robbing, to getting your body frozen. If you’re worried that folk will forget you when you die, check out these 10 tips to immortalize yourself and live forever.

1. Immortalize Yourself The Green Way

Have a tree planted in your name. Some trees last longer than others but most tend to live longer than people, with some living as long as 5000 years. So, choose your tree wisely. A Red Alder may only live for 100 years. But a Douglas Fir could live as long as 1500 years.

You can choose to have your tree planted in any US state, or tree planting country. And you can even give a gift certificate to family or friends, so they can have a tree planted in their name.

2. Write A Novel

Writing a great novel is a reliable way to immortalize yourself, so long as it stays in print. Don Quixote was written by Miguel de Cervantes in the 17th century but it is still available from Amazon, even though Cervantes died in 1616. You can learn more about writing a novel in the Writers Bookstore.

3. Commit A Memorable Crime

They may not be remembered for honourable reasons but folk who have committed memorable crimes, are often immortalized. Burke and Hare snatched bodies from graves to sell to medical schools in Edinburgh. Then they got greedy and began strangling folk and selling their bodies.

Burke was hanged in 1829 and Hare died in 1858. But their story still lives. If you take a guided tour of Edinburgh, you’ll hear all about Burke and Hare. And Amazon sells various books and DVD’s based on the notorious crimimals.

4. Invent Something Remarkable

Inventors of remarkable things are remembered long after their deaths. Alexander Graham Bell died in 1869 but he will always be remembered as the inventor of the telephone. And although he died in 1931, Thomas Edison will never be forgotten, as the inventor of the light bulb and many other amazing objects.

5. Buy A Brick

To mark the millenium, Walt Disney World began selling leave a legacy tiles in Epcot and bricks with your name on, near the Magic Kingdom. Although the tiles and bricks have sold out now, you can bet they’ll be selling more, as soon as they need another walkway. They must have made a killing charging $225 a brick, for the last lot.

6. Get Your Body Frozen

The Cryonics Institute can inject your body to preserve it after death. They say the process causes minimal brain damage, which is useful, if medical technology enables you to be resurrected in the future. And if you’re terminally ill, for an extra charge, they can wait by your bedside and begin the process as soon as you pop your clogs.

7. Create a Family Tree And Put It Online

I began researching my ancestors last year, to start creating a family tree. And I’ve reached the point where I’m going to have to start visiting cemeteries. But you can save yourself some legwork by doing a bit of online research to begin with. The 1851 Census may be a good place to start.

8. Become A Famous Film Star

Famous film stars like Marilyn Monroe, James Dean, Greta Garbo and Marlene Dietrich are remembered long after their deaths. But don’t worry if you haven’t even had so much as a walk on scene, or a part in a commercial. The founder of one of Hollywood’s leading acting schools has produced The 7 Steps to Stardom - a two hour DVD which shows you how to get ahead in acting.

9. Become A Famous Entrepreneur

If you become a mega famous entrepreneur, you’ll be immortalized. Folk like Edison and Carnegie will never be forgotten and modern day entrepreneurs, like Richard Branson and Bill Gates will be remembered forever too.

10. Upload Your Mind

In the future, it may be possible to have your mind duplicated and uploaded to a manufactured device, or robot. You could even get this done before you die. Duplicating yourself would really cut down on your workload. Check out the Mind Uploading Homepage, if you’d like to learn more about this interesting way to immortalize yourself.

Would you like to immortalize yourself? Would you get your body frozen, or would you prefer to choose another way?

PS: This post was inspired by my mother - it’s her 59th birthday today. Happy Birthday Mum.

Related Reading On This Site

Three Business Ideas To Die For
Don’t Be Like The Women On The Titanic
The Everlasting Gift That Costs Nothing
Business Success Is Only A Deathbed Away

Related Reading On Other Sites

10 Reasons To Decide To Live Forever
Wikipedia - Immortality
Japanese Clone Frozen Mice
Immortality Will Be Possible By 2050

Comments

27 Responses to “10 Ways To Immortalize Yourself”

1. Robin on December 12th, 2008 10:39 am

Oh Cath - I am at Mum’s place tonight - it’s 9.30 p.m., and I am about to go to bed because I am exhausted - and I don’t have the computer here set up properly for blogging, yet - but I thought I’d look at my twitter account (one thing I do have set up) before going to bed - and found this!

There does seem to be a longing for immortality embedded in our culture/thinking - do you reckon? “Pop your clogs”! - you are so funny!

Robin’s last blog post..Festival Of Life

2. Betsy on December 12th, 2008 11:24 am

Hi Cath - I think we are immortal in the memories of those who love us. That will do quite nicely for me. Way better than having to go out and plan the perfect crime! ;)
    Betsy’s last blog post..SUMMONING SANTAS

3. Robert on December 12th, 2008 11:24 am

Fantastic list! As with so many things Sci-Fi today… Sci-Fact tomorrow! :)
    Robert’s last blog post..Point Waterfront Development

4. Brad Shorr on December 12th, 2008 12:46 pm

Cath, those are all excellent ideas. #3 seems like the easiest. Actually, doesn’t blogging make one immortal? Those permalink pages aren’t going anywhere. :)
    Brad Shorr’s last blog post..Announcing! Cell Phone Contest Prizes

5. Andrew on December 12th, 2008 1:53 pm

I have one more idea - why not write your name on the shell of a tortise? That should give you a couple of hundred years at least.

I know the name of my grandmothers and grandfathers on both sides, but not those of my great grandparents.

Does this mean that my great grandparents were insignificant? Of course not - any human who walks planet earth has significance, and I have no doubt that my great grandparents were wonderful people. It’s a great pity that their names have been forgotten - at least by me.

Personally, after I’m gone, I don’t really think that I will notice that much whether or not the world remembers me. Nevertheless, like everybody else, there is still a chance for me to leave my mark whilst I am living, perhaps by applying some of your suggestions.

I like your first idea. Nearby the town which I live, there are two famous trees which are said to be more than six hundred years old. Both look past their best, but are evidence that a good solid tree can last for many hundreds of years.

Andrew’s last blog post..Employee rights and responsibilities part 6: Should workers have the right to unfair dismissal?

6. Kim Woodbridge on December 12th, 2008 3:54 pm

Happy Birthday to your Mom!

And LOL - “pop your clogs”

My employer is very interested in cryonics - I find it disturbing for some reason. Plus he’s already kind of well know in academic circles so I would think he already has it covered.

You could also become a famous musician who dies at the age of 27

Kim Woodbridge’s last blog post..Jing Screencapture for WordPress Easter Egg

7. chris on December 12th, 2008 7:28 pm

11. You can go to http://watdawat.com and donate to have your name engraved on a school wall. (click on be immortalized for $10)

Sorry Cath, for the shameless plug. ;)
    chris’s last blog post..I Shall Return

8. Hunter Nuttall on December 12th, 2008 8:26 pm

I’m fine with just disappearing when I go. But duplicating myself is interesting. Yes, he could really cut down on my workload. But what if he expected me to cut down his workload?

Hunter Nuttall’s last blog post..Being Emphatically Wishy-Washy

9. Steve | Trade Show Guru on December 12th, 2008 9:49 pm

hi Cath,
    Very inspirational post. I like the first idea, planting a tree. Helps clean the environment and provides shade too.
    Are you sure the Douglas fir has a lifespan of 1500 years? I did a quick google search and it seems to be closer to 300 years? I wouldn’t mind planting a redwood or sequioya? Oaks seems to lst a long time, though I think the oldest trees might be the bristle-cone pine trees in the Sierras. I think some of them might be over 1000 years, but I’m too lazy to check the internet again.
    ~ Steve, aka the tree-loving trade show guru

Steve | Trade Show Guru’s last blog post..Trade Show Secrets

10. Steve | Trade Show Guru on December 12th, 2008 9:53 pm

me again…
    I lied. After I commented I saw that I still had my google search up, so I put in “oldest tree”.
    #1 result was:
    Oldest Living Tree Found in Sweden
    Apr 14, 2008 … A 9550-year-old “Christmas tree” discovered on a Swedish mountain is the planet’s most ancient known living plant, according to scientists.
    I love it! I love Christmas (knew there was a reason) and I’m 1/4th Swede! Go Sweden!
    ~ Steve, aka the it’s-always-a-good-day-to-be-Christmas Swedish trade show guru!

Steve | Trade Show Guru’s last blog post..Trade Show Secrets

11. Vered - MomGrind on December 12th, 2008 10:45 pm

Having kids is another way to immortalize yourself or at least your genes.

Happy Birthday to your mom! She’s young!

Vered - MomGrind’s last blog post..A Tough Parenting Decision

12. Marelisa on December 12th, 2008 11:13 pm

Create a hamburger franchise and name it after yourself :-) Donate huge amounts of money to a college in exchange for having the library named after you. This is a great list Cath. Happy birthday to your mom!

Oh, and if you’re still worried about the fact that you saw a dolphin and a cow over at my blog, it is a picture of a dolphin and a cow :-)
    Marelisa’s last blog post..Five Stress-Busting Techniques for Busy People

13. Karen on December 12th, 2008 11:53 pm

I love these ideas, especially #1 and #2 I don’t know where I’d start on a novel but a tree is a fantastic idea ;)
    Karen’s last blog post..Do we all have that Christmas Spirit?

14. Davina on December 13th, 2008 4:45 am

Hi Cath. Happy Birthday to your mother! Pop your clogs - LMAO; I’ve never heard that phrase before. I’m already immortal by default :-) I’ve not ever thought about this. Hmmm…. if I had to choose, I’d choose the invention. There are so many ideas just waiting to be born.

Davina’s last blog post..Future Self Meditation Invites Guidance

15. Evelyn Lim on December 13th, 2008 7:00 am

My scrolling bar to my laptop is not working together. So I can’t exactly read what others have to share to your post. I’d like to add that another way to immortalize yourself is to write a memorable and easy-to-sing song. Load it up on youtube and either gyrate to the music if it is for adults or get a cute kid to sing it if it is a kiddy one (and then send this video to all the mommy blogs)! You’ve got an instant hit there!

In all seriousness, I like your tip on writing a novel or book best. I can just see my limited autographed copies being sold in auctions for more than $10,000 apiece one lifetime ahead….LOL!!

Evelyn Lim’s last blog post..Affirm Universal Truths For Financial Abundance

16. Lance on December 13th, 2008 11:58 am

Happy Birthday to your Mum!!!

Now…which method should I pick to immortalize myself???

Lance’s last blog post..Kindness Comes In Small Gestures

17. cathlawson on December 13th, 2008 10:04 pm

Hi Robin - I keep forgetting folk in other countries don’t say “pop your clogs”.

There definitely does seem to be a lot of people wanting to live forever doesn’t there? I wonder why that is? Is it because folk are afraid of dying, or do some people really want to live long, happy and joyful lives?

Hi Betsy - that’s a nice way to put it. I don’t think I would like to go out and commit murder either.

Hi Robert - thank you. That’s so true. It’s not long since people couldn’t believe that the world was actually round.

Hi Brad - Are you sure you picked the right number? Murder and grave robbing don’t sound so easy to me. Mind you, if you’re comparing them with staying in print for centuries, you might be right.

Hi Andrew - I like the tortoise idea - so long as you’re not using paint that would be harmful to it. It’s amazing how long they live.

Hi Kim - I wonder if he’s joined the Cyronics organisation? You can pay a yearly fee but you don’t have to commit to getting frozen. They don’t charge for that until you pop your clogs.

That is weird all those rock stars dying at 27. I’d heard about a few but I’d not seen that list before.

Hi Chris - no problem. You know I think your immortalization service rocks.

LMAO Hunter - that would be kind of scary - another you telling you what to do wouldn’t it?

Hi Steve - I cheated a bit - I found a claim that one Douglas Fir had lived until 1500 years and sort of exaggerated. I had no idea that there was a 9500 year old one.

Hi Vered - that’s a really good point. My mum was only 19 when I was born. Next year I will be 40 and she will be 60.

Hi Mare - those are great ideas. I like the idea of the library rather than a burger chain though. I’m glad it was a cow in the pic - I really thought I must be way over stressed.

Hi Karen - thanks. I guess the tree one would be a whole lot easier than the novel.

Hi Davina - I keep saying those things and forgetting people don’t know what I’m talking about. But it means I can get away with using words that would be really offensive to folk over here and nobody else realises. I like the invention idea too.

Hi Evelyn - I like the idea of the song - if it was really good, people would be singing it forever. $10,000 a copy would be amazing.

Hi Lance - thanks. It’s good that we have lots of choices.

18. wilhb81 on December 14th, 2008 12:13 pm

If you want me to make the choice, then I’ll choose the no.1 and neglect the no.3! I don’t want to commit into any crime, even though it will become a memorable moment in the history…

wilhb81’s last blog post..Can SEO help when times are bad?

19. cathlawson on December 14th, 2008 12:33 pm

Hi Wilhb - I agree - planting a tree is a far nicer choice than murder.

20. Play Games Win Prizes on December 15th, 2008 7:18 am

I stumbled this post for you Cath. This post just made my day as it really interests a person :D

-Mike

21. cathlawson on December 15th, 2008 9:04 am

Hi Mike - Thank you. I’m glad you enjoyed it. You should check out the Cyronics website - it’s weird but interesting.

22. Robert on December 15th, 2008 9:41 am

Wow… read through some on the Cryonics Institute! Kinda creepy to say the least but seems like a pretty sound theory.

This does really ask a few interesting questions… kinda like, “where do we go when we are dead” and “if you are frozen, do you get there” if so, “can you really come back” ?

I wonder when someone is going to make a factual horror movie. Something along the lines of “Body Parts” :)
    Robert’s last blog post..Specialist Consulting Engineers

23. cathlawson on December 15th, 2008 12:31 pm

Hi Robert - my husband was saying the exact same thing last night. If our soul (or consciousness) enters another body after we die - what happens when our frozen body is resurrected? Which body gets the soul? It could cause huge problems.

It would definitely make an interesting movie.

24. Barbara Swafford - Blogging Without A Blog on December 17th, 2008 3:05 am

Hi Catherine - Happy birthday to your mum.

I’ve seen many trees being planted in memory of loved ones. Freezing a body would be rather strange. Can you imagine if they were “reborn” hundred of years from now. Whew! I’m sure they would see lots of changes. And…you gotta wonder, would they be the same “person”?

Barbara Swafford - Blogging Without A Blog’s last blog post..NBOTW - It’s More Than A Funhouse

25. cathlawson on December 17th, 2008 4:30 am

Hi Barbara - Thank you. That is a good point. If they didn’t find a cure for a hundred years or so, you could find yourself waking up in the middle of your worst nightmare. And as you say - you may not be the same person anymore. Who knows what could occur in the freezing process.

26. RBR Video Production on December 22nd, 2008 11:06 pm

The planting a tree idea is a great way to not only help the planet but also to let people know that you were conscious about your impact on the planet.

27. Who Wants To Live Forever? on December 24th, 2008 9:39 am

[...] 10 Ways To Immortalize Yourself Would Money Problems Drive You To This? Change The World - Or Is This Weakness Stopping You? Business Success Is Only A Deathbed Away 3 Business Ideas To Die For [?] Share This [...]